Trying to under stand "broadcast wav", DP and AudioFinder

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Trying to under stand "broadcast wav", DP and AudioFinder

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm trying to understand how a broadcast (BWF) works.

What I gather is that DP timestamps SMPTE numbers to every broadcast wav file it creates.

If I export these in the project format (broadcast wav, interleaved), there should be some metadata in the file that identifies it's SMPTE start number???

And if you drag these files into ProTools or Nuendo, etc. or back into DP, it should be able to see that number and let you snap it to the original timestamp???

I have an exported BWF on my desktop, exported from DP. It is 24-bit, 48k, and 23.97 frame-rate.

Just doing a "get-info" in the finder, or opening it in Quicktime to look at it's properties, I don't see any timecode reference.

Does anyone know how this works?

Where is this info stored?

I want to send some mixes to a dubbing stage that uses ProTools.

I actually also want to use the Iced Audio "AudioFinder" app as my external waveform editor in DP, but AudioFinder doesn't seem to be able to keep it's timecode number intact when I re-import into DP.

I thought this was AudioFinder's problem, but now I am wondering if these files exported from DP actually have SMPTE timestamps?

Does anyone understand how this works?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro