Performance meters

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Terry50
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Performance meters

Post by Terry50 »

Hello, :)
I am trying to optimize my computer Apple ElCapitan 2015 for DP 9.
I'm doing testing.
The processing meter never goes over 5%; but the playback meter is overloading with the window warning about missed samples.

I reduce the plugins and the processing meter stays the same; and the playback meter is reduced.
It sounds like the two meters are mixed up and don't know what they are supposed to meter.

I do a test and determine that with so many tracks with each having so many plugins, I can stay in the safe zone. The next time I open the same project the playback monitor is overloading until I reduce the tracks by 80%.

Yesterday I had the Activity Monitor on. I had the max amount of plugins. The CPU idle was less than 2%. I was happy; but the processing meter in DP said I was only using 3% of the Processing power. ....... AND the playback was overloading.

I have the written DP manual and I couldn't find any instructions or information about what these meters are supposed to do.

Any help would be appreciated. :?
Thanks,
Terry
magicd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Performance meters

Post by magicd »

The playback meter has to do with disk I/O activity. What is your drive configuration? How many tracks at what sample rate?

Dave