Edits on duplicated seq is mirrored on original seq

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Edits on duplicated seq is mirrored on original seq

Post by vudoo »

Sorry in advance if this question seems obvious but i'm new to DP.

I copied all tracks from seq-1 and paste them on a new seq-2 via the ''Copy selection to new sequence...'' When i edit a soundbite on my seq-2, it is mirroring on my Seq-1. What i'm i doing wrong ? basically i want to create a new seq that is independent of the original. Thanks.
OldTimey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Edits on duplicated seq is mirrored on original seq

Post by OldTimey »

Search for "Edge Edit Copy" in the manual.
why would i want to skin a cat?
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Or:
Select all soundbites in seq-2 and choose Duplicate from the Audio menu.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

If you copied audio tracks from sequence 1 into sequence 2, and if both sequences are chunks within the same file, then they both use the same audio files. Likewise, if you copy a bit of audio from any track to any other location within the same track, or within other nearby tracks in the same sequence, then they all use the same audio file. Thus, when you edit any audio track that references a soundbite used elsewhere, the edit will affect all instances of that soundbite.

Edge-edit copy is the cure. This is a menu selection in the mini-menu of the Sequence Editor window. (top right corner) This works by making a copy of any audio that is edited, thus creating a new soundbite for the edited audio.

If your tracks were copied to another project, with its own folder and its own audio folder within, it is best to copy the soundbites to the other project folder's audio folder. You might even consider starting the new project by either duplicating the old one in the Finder, or doing a "save-as" and checking the menu in the save dialog that tells DP to copy all the audio files to the newly saved project.

So, either of the above answers may be correct, depending on the circumstances. But even if you copy the files you will almost always want to have "edge-edit copy" selected in the Mini-Menu of the Sequence Editor. If you do not have it selected, you'll soon run into big problems that require going back in Undo History and fixing a lot of stuff. It seems to me that it should be the default, and edge edit the SAME all instances of the soundbite should be the option available to those who know why they want to do that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
vudoo
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vudoo »

I'm new to DP and all the DAW i've used behave like DP with the Edge-edit copy selected, meaning creating new audio regions (soundbites in DP jargon). I definitely agree that this behaviour should be the default. Anyways, thanks for you help.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

i disagree that edge edit copy should be on by default

it really depends on what you use DP for, i find having it off to be nice, once you understand what it does.

it can be annoying to have DP create new soundbites every time you make an edge edit. fills up the soundbites window quick. i find DP slows down once you hit 300-400 soundbites on my system so I'm constantly flushing unused ones out.
why would i want to skin a cat?
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

OldTimey wrote:i disagree that edge edit copy should be on by default

it really depends on what you use DP for, i find having it off to be nice, once you understand what it does.

it can be annoying to have DP create new soundbites every time you make an edge edit. fills up the soundbites window quick. i find DP slows down once you hit 300-400 soundbites on my system so I'm constantly flushing unused ones out.
See, the thing here is that no other DAW has the same default behaviour as DP does here. None. At all. In fact, some other DAWs can't even do what DP does with EEC off. It's certainly not a default functionality.

The big issue really is the name of the function and how well-hidden it is. There's no way someone figures that out on their own unless they sit and read the entire manual word for word. Even then you might miss it.

If it was called something like "Mirror Soundbite Edits" and an actual menu item (not mini-menu), this question would probably be asked a lot less.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

OldTimey wrote:i disagree that edge edit copy should be on by default

When I look at defaults, I see two factors: convenience and safety. Convenience is a matter of opinion, but with the default edge edit copy behavior turned off, you risk literally ruining a mix — a whole sequence — without knowing that you did it. That's a dangerous default, and that's no opinion; it's a fact.

My first experience with it was decades ago when I was playing back a mix for a client, and suddenly we noticed that certain passages were not fitting together. I had copied a passage and pasted it in two or three other places where it sounded better than the originals, but I had to stretch it or compress it for each one. Naturally, each edit made the rest slightly out of sync. I spent the next hour testing my edge-editing, seeing what was happening searching for a fix. I happened upon the edge edit copy menu (reading literally every menu item), and I wondered if this was the key. It was, of course, but I was reluctant to believe it at first because of the odd placement of it. Something so important should have a more prominent position, so I thought, but I wasn't going to argue with success. That did the trick.

Since then I've been quick to spot users in need. They don't know quite how to ask, because there just doesn't seem to be a fix for it, until you show it to them. I say make it the default. Those who need for it to be off will be more inclined to find it and turn it off, but more importantly it won't destroy their mix if they don't.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|