Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by bayswater »

There is an article in http://osxdaily.com today listing potential albeit infrequent problems with Sierra and potential fixes. The problems run from incomplete downloads to Mac that are bricked (which is what happened to me with 10.11). Some of them appear to be avoidable with a clean install.

This time, I've made a Sierra USB install disk, and will try it out on a test partition. If it's not noticeably better, I'll leave things at Yosemite. I never did get El Cap working well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Some updates, like Sierra and DP 6, are like roses. They look and smell great. Mind the thorns.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Some updates, like Sierra and DP 6, are like roses. They look and smell great. Mind the thorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mswr-u99Lq0
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As my computer is almost entirely useless after internet was restored last night (separate post in the Mac forum), I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Sierra today and see if it at least fixes Ethernet.

I can probably live without a few plug-ins for a short period of time, focusing on recording, if I can at least be functional on my computer, work from home (day job) as needed, etc.

OTOH if my IP is this incompetent, they probably also aren't ready for Sierra yet.

I may have to follow basywater's advice. It does indeed seem to me that El Capitan is where my troubles began, even if it was a slow trickle at first. Only been on it a few months at this point.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oops, I'll need to check to see if RME has driver updates for Sierra as well, for their audio interfaces.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/ma ... view/6/#h3

Apple changed IPV6 stuff last week; maybe this has a side effect on El Capitan as they don’t like holdouts on updates to the OS.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I installed Sierra on my spare SSD as a test run (probably Apple won't let me install it a second time, once I decide to upgrade my much larger main SSD, which is a requirement once I am really ready).

Wi-Fi worked fine; Ethernet isn't found so can't even be set up, but that could be related to my Ethernet problems on El Capitan (see the Mac forum for that topic).

For some reason, only my main El Capitan SSD drive shows up on the Desktop. I have to open a Finder Window to see my internal hard drives as well as the Sierra SSD drive, and to open Applications such as Disk Utility, which doesn't let me change the name of any of the drives anymore.

The RME Fireface UFX is not seen, nor do its utilities launch as they do under El Capitan, so the beta of their Sierra updated drivers may be necessary after all (see the special topic I added for that).

As I am primarily focused on my internet travails, I didn't do much after the install. I mostly wanted to see if my Ethernet problems would go away under a fresh Sierra boot drive. They didn't.

MIDI Life Crisis

yikes... Been there, Mark, and it's no fun. I hope you can get that all sorted out soon.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. For some reason, only my main El Capitan SSD drive shows up on the Desktop. I have to open a Finder Window to see my internal hard drives as well as the Sierra SSD drive, and to open Applications such as Disk Utility, which doesn't let me change the name of any of the drives anymore.
Finder/Preferences still brings up the option to show drives and servers connected to your Mac as it has since 10.2. When an old installer changed the name of one of my drives (weird) I had no problem changing it back.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I created a USB install disk and installed Sierra on a clean test partition, and migrated data, settings, apps and library. That all worked fine. DP is the only thing I had to re-authorize.

But as I go through Sierra, a lot of small issues are coming up. E.g., SECD is running all the time and taking up 100% of the CPU capacity, despite the fact that I have keychain on iCloud turned off. Turning it on and off again seems to have solve that problem. There are quirks in a few apps (all from the App Store), none serious, things like key commands not working as they did, or changed screen layouts.

The basics like Finder, Mail, Spotlight, and Safari appear to be running faster.

Looks like Sierra will be good for regular use after one or two updates.
waxman

Post by waxman »

bayswater wrote:I created a USB install disk and installed Sierra on a clean test partition, and migrated data, settings, apps and library. That all worked fine. DP is the only thing I had to re-authorize.

But as I go through Sierra, a lot of small issues are coming up. E.g., SECD is running all the time and taking up 100% of the CPU capacity, despite the fact that I have keychain on iCloud turned off. Turning it on and off again seems to have solve that problem. There are quirks in a few apps (all from the App Store), none serious, things like key commands not working as they did, or changed screen layouts.

The basics like Finder, Mail, Spotlight, and Safari appear to be running faster.

Looks like Sierra will be good for regular use after one or two updates.
Is DP running fine? Any plugs not working? Scheduler taking up 100% cpu? Turn it off and does that effect the calendar etc? Great report thanks?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP itself seems fine and it loads my very complicated and messy test project without complaints. I haven't loaded all the plugins I would use regularly yet.

The thing running 100% was to do with the keychain, not schedulers. Nothing else seems to be taking over the processors.

Now and then the fans start running, but it seems to be associated with the first time an app is run, perhaps filling up caches, like Google Earth, and similar.

If I can get iTunes running, I'll get onto the plugins and see what happens. I have loaded a bunch of free AU plugins and there were no surprises.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Awesome... I can't jump until UAD is working. So far Slate, NI work. If UAD was working I could get by. Yosemite is still working great in the meantime. Thanks for the update
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Killahurts wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Some updates, like Sierra and DP 6, are like roses. They look and smell great. Mind the thorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mswr-u99Lq0
Omg. Too funny!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.