Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah I was trying to find the Finder prefs but right-click wasn't working until I turned that on, and I probably forgot to go back and check some other stuff after realizing I was getting across-the-board default behaviour since I was using a fresh drive vs. an upgrade to test Sierra. I run highly custom!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

After reading through all of the pages in this very informative thread - and thanks to all for your contributions! - for me. this (by far) has come up as the most important post
Phil O wrote:As far as I can tell, it looks like the big deal with Sierra is its integration with iOS, which isn't important to me at all. Is there anything else that I should be excited about?

Phil
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I see Trim is not enabled by default with Sierra. I'm hoping the command "sudo trimforce enable" is still working.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

williemyers wrote:After reading through all of the pages in this very informative thread - and thanks to all for your contributions! - for me. this (by far) has come up as the most important post
Phil O wrote:As far as I can tell, it looks like the big deal with Sierra is its integration with iOS, which isn't important to me at all. Is there anything else that I should be excited about?

Phil
Even the integration with iOS is not such a big deal. But so far I'm finding it to be a nice update with some nice to have stuff. And it didn't brick my laptop like El Cap did.

A typical example, mail and contacts and calendar seem to be more aware of each others' information and make some intelligent suggestions. If someone I have in contacts sends me an email and some of the info in it is inconsistent with what I have in other places, it gives not unreasonable suggestions.

iTunes is still weird, but not the completely uninterpretable dog's breakfast it was. Maps has almost crossed the "usable" threshold, and Photos shows some performance gains. The big stupid emojis can be ignored. That sort of thing. I can't see how it would lead to any improvements in using DP or Logic. Nothing you'd pay for. It will put off for another year, the need to go look at Windows.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

williemyers wrote:After reading through all of the pages in this very informative thread - and thanks to all for your contributions! - for me. this (by far) has come up as the most important post

Phil
There's this: (Slideshow Warning)
http://www.macworld.com/article/3122961 ... issed.html
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil
Some apps are faster, others are more tightly integrated. Unlike Yosemite and El Cap, I've not run into anything that's worse. The Finale 25 disappearing icons issue that a few have are the result of customizing toolbars that I left alone (not that there aren't issues with F-25...).

Cross integration between MacOS and iOS has taken a major leap, however. I'm still trying to get used to it all. Not sure if Universal Clipboard is going to be as big as Apple thinks but it could be.

I am liking Sierra a lot.

iOS 10, on the other hand, not so much, especially iTunes. Like thousands of others, I am trying to make sense of Apple's ridiculous control layout. Swipe menus for basic functionality? Siri starting every time I move the phone? Are they insane? Every day, I've been Googling trying to figure out this or that so that my iPhone and iPad are the useful tools i depend on again instead of intrusive annoyances. I may buy a used iPod and Velcro it to my dashboard just so I don't have to use iTunes in my new car.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

Focusrite is working with Sierra.
DSP Quattro is working with Sierra.
Spectrasonics instruments working with Sierra.
And Gaz said Bias Peak 7 is working great with Sierra. I'm firing that puppy back up today!

UAD???
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

waxman wrote:Focusrite is working with Sierra.
DSP Quattro is working with Sierra.
Spectrasonics instruments working with Sierra.
And Gaz said Bias Peak 7 is working great with Sierra. I'm firing that puppy back up today!

UAD???
UAD says not yet but they're working on it.

Installs and works:
Finale 2011, 2014.5, 25 (I never had 2012 but have been told yes). No Human Playback in 2012 or 2011.
Office 2011
Acrobat Pro X
Final Draft 10 (8 and 9 probably)
QuickTime 7.6.6 and Pro

Won't install but works in Sierra if installed in earlier OS—usually Yosemite
DP 7.24 will install over El Capitán
Office 2008
Most Adobe products back to CS 5

I can't get MasterWriter 2 to work since Yosemite and gave up trying.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

waxman wrote:And Gaz said Bias Peak 7 is working great with Sierra.
Just to clarify - I said it is working great with El Capitan as I haven't switched to Sierra yet. However, apanacci said Peak Pro 7 was working fine with Sierra (which does not surprise me). I will test it soon and let everyone know my findings when I do switch to Sierra.

Apparently there are some issues with Reason, hence my delay in upgrading to Sierra. Also I don't have an iPhone or iPad so don't need the update yet.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

With UAD it could be early next year before they become compatible with sierra.... That's what happened with El Capitan.... They always lag behind....
waxman

Post by waxman »

crescentoon55 wrote:With UAD it could be early next year before they become compatible with sierra.... That's what happened with El Capitan.... They always lag behind....
Bubble bursting... :(

Well when everything else I have works I may just run the with and turn off the protection that is crashing it... However Yosemite is working just fine. Still too many weirdness reports so I am skipping El Capitan...

Come on UAD...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
crescentoon55

Post by crescentoon55 »

FYI: Previous UAD release and approval dates for a new OS:

macOS Sierra GM was released to Manufacturing/End Users (Gold Master) on September 20, 2016
OS X El Capitan was released on September 30, 2015 and UA released it's driver with Version 8.4.0 on February 2, 2016
OS X Yosemite was released on October 16, 2014 and UA released it's driver with Version 8.0.0 on March 3, 2015
OS X Mavericks was released on October 22, 2013 and UA released it's driver with Version 7.5.0 on February 20, 2014
OS X Mountain Lion was released on July 25, 2012 and UA released it's driver with Version 6.3.1 on October 1, 2012 :banghead:
waxman

Post by waxman »

crescentoon55 wrote:FYI: Previous UAD release and approval dates for a new OS:

macOS Sierra GM was released to Manufacturing/End Users (Gold Master) on September 20, 2016
OS X El Capitan was released on September 30, 2015 and UA released it's driver with Version 8.4.0 on February 2, 2016
OS X Yosemite was released on October 16, 2014 and UA released it's driver with Version 8.0.0 on March 3, 2015
OS X Mavericks was released on October 22, 2013 and UA released it's driver with Version 7.5.0 on February 20, 2014
OS X Mountain Lion was released on July 25, 2012 and UA released it's driver with Version 6.3.1 on October 1, 2012 :banghead:
So it takes between 60 and 120 days for UAD to release. Considering Christmas holidays worst case scenario mid February or at best mid December... Fool us UAD. Release in October.
waxman
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

On El Capitan:

DP 9.12 runs like a top (so far), as do most of my plugs and VIs. Also, I'm running a lot of old, creaky 32-bit plugs via 32Lives and they all run great. The only old-school plug I've been forced to part with since upgrading from Lion is NI Pro-53 -- there was a file it kept requesting when being examined by DP or even in standalone mode, and even after locating it, the plug just kept giving me the same loading error message. Interestingly, while Waves 9.6 runs just fine inside PT 12 and DP 9, when I run inside Xcode AU Lab (where I usually test out my AU plugs before loading them in a DAW environment), the GUIs show up as a black screen, although they still actually work fine and switching them to a generic view allows me to see the controls. I also (so far) haven't been having any problems with Kontakt 5.6. I'm definitely waiting for a point-one release before upgrading to Sierra, though. I first upgraded to El Capitan in February and it was a nightmare. After starting over with Lion and waiting it out for almost seven months, the re-upgrade went pretty smoothly, but I think that was a mix of a few decent updates after my original install and me knowing what to expect (and what software I'd end up having to throw out).

All that said, I don't like the writing on the wall for OS X -- er, macOS -- and am probably going to end up killing my idea of getting a refurbished Mac Pro tower as my main music computer in favor of an iZ RADAR station, which can actually run both PT and DP via Windoze, has system stats comparable to or better than the new Mac Pros, an optimized version of Windows 8.1 as its OS and nine years of customer service.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
crescentoon55

Post by crescentoon55 »

Just saw this.... good news for uad users: :love: https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-Info