Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:I saw a couple folks saying JiTouch wasn't working on IRC.

I do know that BTT and Karabiner are not working though (similar types of 'modify your input device' apps).
That kills it for me. Until JiTouch has a working version, I'll be staying in El Capitan. I hope they don't take long, because I'm kind of looking forward to having Siri on my Mac.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:awesome... I'm jumping soon as UAD works...
Yeah, I have a UAD2 DUO that I'm somewhat reliant on, so I'll have to wait also.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Robert Randolph wrote: I do know that BTT and Karabiner are not working though (similar types of 'modify your input device' apps).
That's interesting, because BTT has been advertised as Sierra compliant:
https://www.boastr.net/sierra-ready-bet ... -released/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

cuttime wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: I do know that BTT and Karabiner are not working though (similar types of 'modify your input device' apps).
That's interesting, because BTT has been advertised as Sierra compliant:
https://www.boastr.net/sierra-ready-bet ... -released/
Hmm. I've seen people saying there's issues with BTT.

Karabiner is definitely broken though, and so are most gaming peripherals. I'm seen reports of Logitech devices not working now as well (added to the list of: Razer, Steelseries, Ducky, filco).
Luke

Post by Luke »

Anyone running DP 7.24 on Sierra? I looked at all the replies "signatures" and didn't see anyone using 7.24. I've been holding off on updating for a while now.
*14 inch M1 Macbook Pro - 16GB Ram - OS 14.1 (Sonoma)- Motu M4 - Motu DP 11.23, Other bells and whistles*
taka

Post by taka »

All seems to be well on Sierra.
In fact it seems to be working much better all round on y system than El Cap :-)

Taka*
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Luke wrote:Anyone running DP 7.24 on Sierra? I looked at all the replies "signatures" and didn't see anyone using 7.24. I've been holding off on updating for a while now.
There's no reason why it shouldn't work.

That said, I have uninstalled my copy and will reinstall today in Sierra today or tomorrow to see.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:
Luke wrote:Anyone running DP 7.24 on Sierra? I looked at all the replies "signatures" and didn't see anyone using 7.24. I've been holding off on updating for a while now.
There's no reason why it shouldn't work.

That said, I have uninstalled my copy and will reinstall today in Sierra today or tomorrow to see.
The 7.24 installer does not work properly in Sierra. It does not put 7 into the Applications folder. After loading my plugs and VIs, it crashes with a number of MAS loading errors. I tried a few different tricks I know and none worked. I'm pretty certain that DP 7.24 will not install in Sierra.

This, by itself, does not mean that 7.24 cannot run in Sierra but it's possible. I am not ready to upgrade my main SSD to 10.12 yet. That isn't likely till tomorrow or Sunday. There's the possibility that it might work if installed over an older OS that is updated (5.1 – 7.23 ran fine as long as they were installed in OS 10.6 first). I'll post what I find out.

OTOH, Finale 2011c and 2014.5 install and run great.

Adobe Acrobat X Pro and Photoshop Elements 6 work fine. Both can be made to install in El Cap by disabling Gatekeeper and SIP, then reenabling. I won't try a clean install in Sierra unless I have to. Office 2008 cannot be installed fresh but runs great—best ever.

I am having issues with MasterWriter 2 that began in some version of El Capitan so I don't know what I up. I'm going to disable SIP and try a reinstall before giving up. No great loss for me and I am just not interested enough in a subscription license for MW 3.

The testing continues.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Luke

Post by Luke »

Wow Mike! That is an incredibly thoughtful thing for you to do. I thank you most humbly. I look forward to your results.
*14 inch M1 Macbook Pro - 16GB Ram - OS 14.1 (Sonoma)- Motu M4 - Motu DP 11.23, Other bells and whistles*
waxman

Post by waxman »

Hello

Thank you for your inquiry .

While disabling the SIP will allow the software to work from what I have heard this will leave your computer more susceptible to virus and malware so we only recommend that you do this at your own risk. UAD v8.7 is tested and compatible with released versions of Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, and 10.11 El Capitan and at this time we can confirm that the current UAD software will not work with Sierra. Unfortunately we do not have any time frame on when we will have Sierra fully Qualified for use on the platform and we recommend that, if you have updated, you rev back to a previous disk image if at all possible or contact apple to see what your options are for reverting back to El Capitan if you want to have access to your audio interface. I am sorry for any frustration regarding this at all. Please let us know if we can be of any further help and we will do our best to get you taken care of!
Best Regards
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have to disable SIP to use my AlphaTrack. Oh well.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With Photoshop Elements 6, SIP is s disabled only for installation. I reenable it when done and it works fine. It's one of those things that's not supposed to work but does. I have Elements 10 also but it didn't work that well in El Cap and ... well, I prefer 6 as long as it lasts.

Acrobat X only requires Gatekeeper disabled as the installer is too old. Again, when done, reset it.

Office 2008 is a different matter. The installer wants to see nothing later than Yosemite — maybe. I can verify that it won't install on El Cap but it does work in OS 10.11 / 10.12. Service Packs and updaters over the years kept it current so that it still works in Sierra. A hack to the installer might be able to fix that but no one has posted one more am likely to ever make the time.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 7.24 appears to function in Sierra if installed in El Capitan or earlier and the OS is updated—no guarantees that all of the functions will work but my test projects performed well. Whether or not it would work after a Time Machine restore is something I won't know and won't be able to test.
Luke

Post by Luke »

mikehalloran wrote:DP 7.24 appears to function in Sierra if installed in El Capitan or earlier and the OS is updated—no guarantees that all of the functions will work but my test projects performed well. Whether or not it would work after a Time Machine restore is something I won't know and won't be able to test.

Thank you Mike. I very much appreciate your input. I will hold off a few days longer and then install Sierra. I have had some crashes lately in El Capitan but I think it has to do with certain plug-ins misbehaving as they probably get wonky when they realize they're running in a 64 bit environment (OS) while in DP 7.24's 32 bit system.

Several Native Instruments plug ins, along with Arturia, (and a few others) are not displaying graphically so I assume it's my lack of updating to a 64 bit DP.

However, I'm by no means an expert on any of these things. Just taking my best guess. I probably need to bite the bullet and update DP to 9 soon. I've sorta been waiting on MOTU to work out the bugs. I realize these things can take some time. Plus, I'm really going to miss Alchemy :cry: Life on Earth, ya know.

Thanks again for going the extra mile. Good Karma on ya :)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

$29.95 gets you the current version of Alchemy.

http://www.apple.com/mainstage/plugins-and-sounds/