Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by buzzsmith »

bayswater wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:Still not sure if I wanna do Sierra or El Capitan.
That's a big question. EC was a complete disaster for me, and Sierra is OK. You'll have noticed that others have had exactly the opposite experience. Maybe one way to approach it is to see who has exactly the same hardware as you.

BTW, I found both EC and Sierra to have problems with mouse/trackpad devices speed and accuracy, even Apple branded devices.
Thanks.

I spent about 20 minutes last night looking at different user's signatures.

Man! What a wide, wide variety of hardware platforms!

I didn't find any in those, admittedly, few minutes that matched my system. (Early 2009 Mac Pro, 4,1 > 5,1, 2.66 ghz Quad Core)

But, I'll keep looking.

Appreciate it.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Mine sig used to match yours Buzzy... see below. I went from Mountain Lion directly to Sierra on my studio machine and the experience was relatively painless. The only ongoing issue I have noted is funky mouse behavior, as documented earlier in this thread.

Re: CPU Swap - I don't think it will matter whether you go to El Cap or Sierra after or before. Your Apple account will remain what it is.

The only software authorization I have experienced as being impacted by the CPU swap is BFD, which required re-authorization when I swapped the CPU trays in my two MPs.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Maxxy

Post by Maxxy »

Wow

really happy after 3 days on Sierra after El Capitan…. everything feeling really snappy

Kensington Expert Mouse was initially a little buggy but an update fixed that… mousing with the trackball feels more precise than ever… noticabely so

And Safari went from feeling like glug… …using tons of RAM in El Cap and slowing everything down to frustration point…. to the point that I ordered a new video card, thinking that was the problem. Well the card is due in a couple of days but I’m not sure I ever would have gone for it if I’d been on Sierra

a little odd audio interaction between Core Audio and MOTU 16A AVB interface….but moving to DP 9.12 may have sorted that

Thumbs up here

Thanks to all
Mac mini 2023 M2 Pro, 32g RAM, LG 32UD99 4k monitor on HDMI, OSX 13.6.1, DP 11.3, MOTU TB AVB 16A w/AVB Monitor 8 on ethernet cable, UAD Apollo x8, Netstor TB3 PCIe card expansion w/ UAD-2... 1 x Octo and 2 x Quad cards, Softube Console 1 MkII & Fader Control
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ok, that's enough for me. Thanks kids. Upgrading today.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Yes: SIERRA 10.12.3. work fine; necessity to update GIMP & Soundflower .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

corbo-billy wrote:Yes: SIERRA 10.12.3. work fine; necessity to update GIMP & Soundflower .
This version is for 10.10 to 10.12 and deals with the requirement that applications have the digital signature. But I've managed so far to install the older versions of Soundflower by changing the security preference to allow apps from anywhere. I like the older 1.66b (I think that's it) because it has a 64 channel version.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

Did the new update fix the Magic Mouse?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:Did the new update fix the Magic Mouse?
IMHO, no. Still overly sensitive to scroll in general and pitch editing in DP is hit and miss. MOTU has advised me they will address in 9.13, "coming soon". I moved to a 4k monitor and it almost seems better somehow, but issues persist. I now have two meeses on my desk.
waxman

Post by waxman »

The pitch is working for me about 75% better. Scrolling can still do the Watussi but that too has been fixed about 75% better. Before to use the mouse I had to really have momentum when I hit the note. Now if I'm just barely moving on the note when I click it grabs it and moves the note under control... I can live with this but will be glad when it's completely fixed. Seems like a little Apple and a little MOTU problem. Other then that Sierra has been nails.

I do need to be careful in the SE window if I do an edit, hit a note in pitch, pull a soundbite in or out, grab the wiper, pull it to a spot and do that to all fast... I get the endless beach ball or a crash. But that has always been the case for years. I just can't go like a bat out of hell popping the clutch and grinding the gears and not expect the machine to break...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'm debating on moving to Sierra on my MacBook Pro.

I mainly us it for live gigs (MainStage, DP).

This thread has at least given me courage to do so.
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I am finding it snappier and more stable, as well as sharper rendering, across-the-board and also with respect to DP9.

I have mentioned some problems in another thread, but they pre-existed my Sierra upgrade a few nights ago, and may have come along for the ride when I did the El Capitan upgrade last summer.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Native Instruments, Waves and a few other devs cautioned waiting on Sierra soon after it came out; all resolved?
waxman

Post by waxman »

jloeb wrote:Native Instruments, Waves and a few other devs cautioned waiting on Sierra soon after it came out; all resolved?
Yep old news. I don't know of any developers that have not updated to work with Sierra. There may be a few. FxPansion BFD3 installers still need a work around. But the software works no issues.
waxman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Maybe that's why the Native Instruments Service Center wouldn't launch yesterday, so I had to use Native Access instead, which found nothing to update even though I know there are some updates since I last did any. Guess I'll go directly to their site instead.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote:Maybe that's why the Native Instruments Service Center wouldn't launch yesterday, so I had to use Native Access instead, which found nothing to update even though I know there are some updates since I last did any. Guess I'll go directly to their site instead.
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ve-Access-
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro