Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by mikehalloran »

Having no issues with my first gen. Trackpad in 10.12.2.

The update made things slow to respond (I ran the Combo Updater). A Safe Boot reset the caches and paths to default and everything's fine now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

waxman wrote:Found a issue with Sierra. It's not a deal killer but it is a pia. The Magic Mouse does not work correctly with Sierra.
I confirm: decided to go under SIERRA and don't regret about D.P. , Reason 9 and Numerology 4 PRO (Five 12).
A firmware update a bit difficult for the NEKTAR Panorama P6 but that's it.

Something else: it's not because I love D.P. but Plug-ins and Virtual Instruments really go much faster when you select them. A bit like pictures ... :wink:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
waxman

Post by waxman »

mikehalloran wrote:Having no issues with my first gen. Trackpad in 10.12.2.

The update made things slow to respond (I ran the Combo Updater). A Safe Boot reset the caches and paths to default and everything's fine now.
Hey Mike... I just read Trackpad was having issues. I updated through the software update. So do you think if I go back and do the combo updater that would help?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So do you think if I go back and do the combo updater that would help?
Probably not but I am used to doing it that way. It can't hurt, though.

I would certainly do a Safe Boot. Besides resetting caches to default, it restores paths including Alias icons. Back in the OS 6–9 days, it was called Rebuild Desktop and it still incorporates that function in OS X. The only difference is that very few apps run properly in Safe mode as it disables all non-Apple extensions. That's ok.

It's easy but time-consuming (feels like forever if booting from an HHD):

Shut down.
Boot while holding the Shift key.
Login at the prompt with your Admin password. Wait till everything comes up including correct icons.
Shut down again.
Boot normally.
Done.

This takes around 6 minutes on my iMac from an SSD.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thanks Mike...

Reset cache and shift boot did not change mouse issue. Nor does Magic Mouse 2.

So it's wait time until Apple decides to fix it. Definitely a Sierra issue. Marcus is having the same issue and it's all over the net. CAD program users are going banana's.

The mouse click is reacting slow. So when I click and hold it does not see the hold. So it then becomes select instead of select/hold. It's not cool for editing pitch. Other then that I don't notice it much. I may just pull out an old usb apple mouse. I just really like being able to scroll and mouse at the same time... It's amazing how you take for granted things until their gone!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by James Steele »

Well I'm taking the plunge and installing Sierra as I write this. Hoping it doesn't mess anything up. I made a disk image in Carbon Copy Cloner of my boot disk just prior to starting the install to restore from in case things get ugly. I'll know in about 23 minutes according to the progress bar. One of my motivations was the rumored fixes to CoreAudio of something broken in El Cap. I've had some issues I think I've never had prior to El Cap with DP every so often losing contact with my audio hardware. Hope this will help.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well so far so good. Had a little issue at first as I'm probably one of the last hold outs using Liquid Mix via 32 Lives and got some weird errors loading projects that had instances of Liquid Mix until I realized that the "Prevent App Nap" for the Liquid Mix app had somehow been turned off during the Sierra install. I guess Apple really wants this unchecked.

Currently, however, I'm having an issue with dictation. I didn't use it much, but I can't get text dictation to work. Double-tap the Fn key, the little microphone appears and I can see that it's hearing the sound of my voice (via an attached old FW iSight camera), but text does not appear. Been searching the net for a solution, but not found one yet. Very odd. I'll keep my El Cap disk image around for a while.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well, talk about a very particular solution to the dictation problem! Turns out, when DP is open in the background with a project that contains an instance of Liquid Mix (whose hardware is on the same FireWire bus that my old FireWire iSight camera is on), dictation doesn't work. Remove all instances of LiquidMix, dictation works! Go figure!

waxman

Post by waxman »

Awesome James glad Sierra is working except the FW dictation thing. The only problem I've had is the magic mouse...

That is a strange one LM hijacking dictation... fwiw... I loved my Focusrite Liquid Mix. I got one of the first ones. Unfortunately it was never really stable but I nursed it along for a few years. It looked so cool on the desk like a little Lexicon. Check out Verbsuite if you are decide to put the LM to rest.
waxman
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks for all of this valuable information!

I updated my early 2009 Mac Pro firmware from 4,1 to 5,1 and am getting ready to replace my 2.66 ghz 4 core to an Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHZ Hex 6-Core CPU within the next 10 days or so.

Update OS X first and then install the CPU...or vice versa?

Still not sure if I wanna do Sierra or El Capitan.

Thanks!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

buzzsmith wrote:Still not sure if I wanna do Sierra or El Capitan.
That's a big question. EC was a complete disaster for me, and Sierra is OK. You'll have noticed that others have had exactly the opposite experience. Maybe one way to approach it is to see who has exactly the same hardware as you.

BTW, I found both EC and Sierra to have problems with mouse/trackpad devices speed and accuracy, even Apple branded devices.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

After Yosemite, SIERRA work fine for me with D.P. and others Applications (Motion, Numerology 4 Pro, Kontakt 5, SuperDuper or Gimp) .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I upgraded to Sierra recently since karabiner-elements is finally working OK.

Everything is good. Some software appears to actually run better! Many plug-ins and 2 DAWs with occasional GUI sluggishness have improved.

I'm happy with this update simply based on that alone.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

corbo-billy wrote: Something else: it's not because I love D.P. but Plug-ins and Virtual Instruments really go much faster when you select them. A bit like pictures ... :wink:
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Robert Randolph wrote:I upgraded to Sierra recently since karabiner-elements is finally working OK.

Everything is good. Some software appears to actually run better! Many plug-ins and 2 DAWs with occasional GUI sluggishness have improved.

I'm happy with this update simply based on that alone.
Hi!

Where did you get Karibiner Elements?

I use Karabiner, which does not work with Sierra, but don't see any actually releases of Karibiner Elements?

Thanks.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro