Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by mikehalloran »

The only two major things I noticed were that Quicken Essentials suddenly went obsolete (forcing me to upgrade to Quicken 2017)
??? Quicken goes obsolete every year.
I upgraded to TTP 9 ... then, I noticed 9 isn't Sierra-compatible yet,
TechTool Pro 9.01 is compatible with Sierra 10.12. I saw the message about OS 10.12.1 just now but it works fine. I expect an update in a few days.

TTP doesn't really do anything anymore but it's still a great diagnostic tool.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

UAD installers are now online for Sierra

http://www.uaudio.com/uad/downloads
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:UAD installers are now online for Sierra

http://www.uaudio.com/uad/downloads
Hmmm... wow... tempting. Do you suppose they're backward compatible with El. Cap? Might install that first before installing Sierra. I better do a full clone first though. I'm most worried about things like my AlphaTrack (which should be okay with the latest driver installer) and my Focusrite Liquid Mix which believe it or not is still hanging in there thanks to 32 Lives.

Thing is, I'm running a MacPro4,1 which was upgraded to a 5,1, but I know some of the new features won't work and not convinced Siri will mean anything to me. However, if there's been some under-the-hood optimizing and it runs a little smoother than El Cap, I might try it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

You must install UAD 8.7.4 before installing Sierra... See notes on support page

Known Issue with macOS Sierra
Note: The following issue does NOT occur with UAD v8.7.4s

Symptom: Installing UAD v8.7.4 or earlier software onto a macOS Sierra system, or installing macOS Sierra onto a system that already has any version of UAD software installed except UAD v8.7.4s, can cause the system to fail on startup.

Solution: Start the computer in Safe mode by holding down the Shift key when starting, then run the Uninstall Universal Audio Software application located in /Applications/Universal Audio. After uninstalling, either install UAD v8.7.4s or install/restore a previous version of OS X.

Note: This symptom/solution also applies to Soundcraft Realtime Rack software.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

UAD 8.7.4 is working fine with Yosemite 10.10.5

I'm ready to install Sierra... ANYONE INSTALLED UAD 8.7.4 and Sierra yet?
waxman
waxman

Post by waxman »

WHO IS RUNNING SIERRA?

I really don't want to do a clean install. What is the downside of not doing a clean install on Sierra. I did a clean install on Yosemite.
waxman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

waxman wrote:WHO IS RUNNING SIERRA?

I really don't want to do a clean install. What is the downside of not doing a clean install on Sierra. I did a clean install on Yosemite.
I see no reason for doing a clean install unless you haven't done one since the PPC days. I did my last in Mavericks. Before that, it was OS 7.1.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

mikehalloran wrote:
waxman wrote:WHO IS RUNNING SIERRA?

I see no reason for doing a clean install unless you haven't done one since the PPC days. I did my last in Mavericks. Before that, it was OS 7.1.
thanks so much for that reassurance. I won't be doing anything until I hear from FXpansion on BFD3 status. So far it's not looking good. This will be a good sign as to ROLI supporting them or not...
waxman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Same here. I'm a big fan of migration assistant. As a result, I still have Elemental Audio software working under 10.11.6 with 32Lives. Whodathunkit?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RavenJ

Post by RavenJ »

Hi,

Just wanted to add my experience. Running DP9, Ultralite AVB, Amplitube 4 and VSL MIR Pro. All latest updates and drivers and no go. When I get it to work with 1 instrument (guitar input) and 1 plugin (either) , processor is flat out and huge amount of clicking occurs.

I did get it to work once with 2 tracks of Amplitude and MIR Pro to a 7.1 track perfectly so it seems to indicating driver instability.

Usually after a few minutes it will crash the Audio interface (just requires a reselection of the hardware setup within DP)

Also tried with Waves NX and this definitely didn't work properly. Such as no panning of the sound within the phones when moving around.

This is on a 2014 Macbook pro with 16GB memory.

Beyond that, I am not impressed with the update. The system is very sluggish in general - I've read this will improve once indexing is done, and things like window positions and sizing seems to not be working and wifi is very inconsistent.

Regards
Richard
waxman

Post by waxman »

Ok after a week of back and forth with FXpansion I am confident they will fix their installers and be Sierra compatible. So I am going for it installing Sierra today... nervous time.

Also Superior Drummer is $99 bucks from Sweetwater... Black Friday sale
waxman
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

waxman wrote:Ok after a week of back and forth with FXpansion I am confident they will fix their installers and be Sierra compatible.
I wait for confirmation.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
waxman

Post by waxman »

YAY!!! Installed Sierra 10.12.1 and everything is working great. Boot up, programs opening and everything just seems faster. I put them all through their paces, BFD3, UAD, Slate, NI and everything listed below. I brought up some big mixes, used the Raven and Batch Command. All LOVE... woo hoo

Then I closed everything. I touched the top right hand corner and said, "open V control pro" and it opened. Then I touched it again and said, "open Digital Performer" and it open. Touching the top right hand corner again I said, "open Raven." Siri said back to me, "Raven MTi2 or Raven manual?" I said, "Raven MTi2" and it opened. I sat there for a second, then I turned to the studio dog Maui and said, "it's a whole new world."

waxman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmmm. I'm scared to do it. UAD-2 PCI is still no go, right?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

James Steele wrote:Hmmmm. I'm scared to do it. UAD-2 PCI is still no go, right?
According to this your PCI will be just fine...

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-Info

Happy Thanksgiving James. Thankful for all you do!
waxman