Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mac OS Sierra Who's Brave?

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:
James Steele wrote:Hmmmm. I'm scared to do it. UAD-2 PCI is still no go, right?
According to this your PCI will be just fine...

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-Info

Happy Thanksgiving James. Thankful for all you do!
Hmmmm... maybe I'll do backup disk image and give it a whirl.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Krakadon

Post by Krakadon »

I have been on 10.10.5 for a while on my early 2011 MBP. I thought that was as far as I would go. But I wanted to give DP9.12 a go and wasn't thrilled with results. Also installed Pro Tools 12.6 for a collaboration project so thought I'd upgrade to El Capitan. Well because I didn't envision upgrading past 10.10.5, I missed the boat on downloading 10.11.6 from the App Store. Very frustrating. So I figured I'd be brave and try out Sierra. Seemed to work well at first but problems started coming out of the woodwork. Actually DP still seemed ok but other DAW wouldn't run and other apps wouldn't run as well. Plus there was all sorts of strange behavior like Finder crashing when trying to use the search field. System was unusable and I rolled back to 10.10.5. Now I've had to pony up $15 for USB stick El Capitan installer (although it won't be bad to have this on hand) to try out 10.11.6. I predict good results and I think that will be the last OS upgrade on this machine. Not sure if I'd spend the time trying Sierra again after an update or two. Maybe but for now Sierra is a "no-go".
Krakadon
Rock, metal, Nashville, TN

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* Apollo Quad FW (FW9.0), UAD-2 Quad FW, UAD-2 Quad TB, M Audio Oxygen 49
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
* UA 4-710d, RNC-1773, Shure SM-57, SM-58, SM7B, Rode NT1-A
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

My install of El Capitan on an MBP, simultaneous with upgrading Pro Tools 12, was very disappointing...until I realized that the Avid Application Manager, a toolbar app that loads at startup, whether you're using Pro Tools or not, was slowing everything down. A check of the DUC forums turned up dozens of posts by people who complained about this software.

I uninstalled it, and Avid Cloud Services which I don't use, and OSX 10.11.3 is working much better overall.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
waxman

Post by waxman »

TinenTech wrote:My install of El Capitan on an MBP, simultaneous with upgrading Pro Tools 12, was very disappointing...until I realized that the Avid Application Manager, a toolbar app that loads at startup, whether you're using Pro Tools or not, was slowing everything down. A check of the DUC forums turned up dozens of posts by people who complained about this software.

I uninstalled it, and Avid Cloud Services which I don't use, and OSX 10.11.3 is working much better overall.
So is that in Sierra or does it come with a ProTool installation? Not sure what this has to do with Sierra and DP
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Krakadon

Post by Krakadon »

PT and nothing.
Krakadon
Rock, metal, Nashville, TN

* 15" MBP 2.2 GHz Intel i7 (Quad), 16GB RAM, 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB 7200 RPM SATA, AMD Radeon 1GB, OS X 10.11.6
* Apollo Quad FW (FW9.0), UAD-2 Quad FW, UAD-2 Quad TB, M Audio Oxygen 49
* DP 9.12, PT 12, Amadeus Pro, DMG, FabFilter, iZotope, NI, Plugin Alliance, Toontrack, TB, UA, Valhalla, Waves
* Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II FW Q4, EBMM JP BFR7, EBMM StingRay 5, Ovation Legend 1866, Martin D1-R
* UA 4-710d, RNC-1773, Shure SM-57, SM-58, SM7B, Rode NT1-A
waxman

Post by waxman »

hahaha... but what you are implying is a good idea to watch out for other apps that could be mucking up the whole system. Is there any app that scans that kind of thing or can that be done with terminal. I do have PT 11 on my system. Does the Avid app manager in 11 create issues?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm still finding Sierra networking wonky even after the .1 update.

If I connect to from one Mac to another via screen sharing, it first rejects the ID/password, but pressing the Connect button for a second time without changing ID or PW always works.

When printing, the print dialog first tells me that I have to first install the print drivers, but it prints anyway. Once printing is complete, it shows that the document has started printing.

With a number of websites that Yosemite connected to without issue I now get a message that no secure connection can be established by Safari and no connection is made. Firefox and Chrome connect without issue. If I delete browser history, the next connection tells me the certificates are invalid. If I tell Safari to always accept, they start working but no images are loaded. After a restart, Safari once again refuses to connect.

Connections to local servers are dropped after a few minutes without activity although they are easily re-established.

Yet, TimeMachine is working perfectly over the same network with the same devices.

Something clearly wrong with networking. Perhaps there is a way to completely remove all network and related settings and history and start all over again. A PITA either way.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

I try to avoid things that could be mucking up my DP system. I have a little mac book air 11". That's all I use for "the other stuff." Once I get my DP system stable it stays stable and if it does get wonky it's easy to identify because it's most likely the last thing I changed.

So far knock on wood.... Sierra is working AWESOME for me. It is way better, quicker and "feels" more solid then Yosemite. And Yosemite was a great OSX...
waxman
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

waxman wrote: And Yosemite was a great OSX...
Yes, I confirm: and a little question .
BFD3 work also fine, with the actual version .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
waxman

Post by waxman »

Found a issue with Sierra. It's not a deal killer but it is a pia. The Magic Mouse does not work correctly with Sierra. This did not show up for me until editing pitch and only after the last Sierra update. So because the Magic Mouse is slow to react when you select a pitch it will get a yellow line and then you can't drag it. This is ONLY with the Apple Magic Mouse. It may work with Magic Mouse 2 and it is not an issue with plug usb mouse. I am off to the Apple store to get a Magic Mouse 2...
waxman
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Maybe I'll decide ...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62769
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
waxman

Post by waxman »

Updating now. It came through as a normal update on Sierra when clicking on app store update.
waxman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:Found a issue with Sierra. It's not a deal killer but it is a pia. The Magic Mouse does not work correctly with Sierra. This did not show up for me until editing pitch and only after the last Sierra update. So because the Magic Mouse is slow to react when you select a pitch it will get a yellow line and then you can't drag it. This is ONLY with the Apple Magic Mouse. It may work with Magic Mouse 2 and it is not an issue with plug usb mouse. I am off to the Apple store to get a Magic Mouse 2...
Sierra is generally poor at detecting or reporting the correct position of the mouse or pad. It's a real PITA with CAD apps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

Update to Sierra 10.12.2 did not produce any love for the Magic Mouse...
Last edited by waxman on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
waxman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:Update to Sierra 10.12.2 did not produce and love for the Magic Mouse...
I hope it does not go own in history as the Tragic Mouse.

I do love the ability to scroll horizontally with inertia.