Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
hudson46
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Post by hudson46 »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to set up a customer of mine with some 32-forty" displays for viewing blueprints.

they may all be using HDMI to connect with the display, I'm just wondering if I have to purpose for something 1920 x 1080 or better?

The objective is so that it will see the complete blueprint while being easy to study. I simply did a contrast of my 40" television with my 22" screen (each 1920 x 1080) and it is a little bit larger searching on the tv, but now not substantially.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I want you to know that it is because of this thread that I just ordered this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-29-ips- ... Id=5770301

I wasn't even thinking about monitors, but I have been dreaming of one of these for a long time, and this is the best price I've seen, so....

It's your fault I'm poor! :mrgreen:

Babz
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Some of you have gone completely off-topic ...

I just wanted to post here that I ended up purchasing a used HP ZR30w and it is working just beautifully! It has a dual DVI connector so it just hooked up with my Mac Pro - not a single issue. This is just what I needed - no adapters, not problems ... just a simple connection - and I'm back in business. I did a ton of research and for my specific set of circumstances it didn't make any sense to try to go for the larger single monitor. By the way, HP also makes an LP3065 which has 3 dual DVI connectors. In any case - this cost me under $200 - just what I wanted to spend as well. Thanks for all the input. Though I'm not sure what finding monitors for viewing blueprints had to do with my original post ...
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

rosindabow wrote:Some of you have gone completely off-topic ...

I just wanted to post here that I ended up purchasing a used HP ZR30w and it is working just beautifully! It has a dual DVI connector so it just hooked up with my Mac Pro - not a single issue. This is just what I needed - no adapters, not problems ... just a simple connection - and I'm back in business. I did a ton of research and for my specific set of circumstances it didn't make any sense to try to go for the larger single monitor. By the way, HP also makes an LP3065 which has 3 dual DVI connectors. In any case - this cost me under $200 - just what I wanted to spend as well. Thanks for all the input. Though I'm not sure what finding monitors for viewing blueprints had to do with my original post ...
You know... sometimes we just sort of "spitball" in the forums and not every post is going to be strictly on topic. It's a user run forum... not a MOTU site... so it's rather loose. If you're unhappy though, you can talk to Doris in accounting and she'll issue you a full refund on your MOTUnation membership fees. :wink:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Here's Doris' link. But don't bother. No-one ever got a cent out of Doris.

http://doristaxes.com
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Doris is rather shy and I seldom see her around. Here's the last known photo of her:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Reviewing this thread, I must note the "Someday 4k" sentiments I expressed last year have been fulfilled. A little less than one year ago, my Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 hex machine was updated to accommodate a 4k monitor. My approach was to update OS to Sierra, purchase and install an AMD RX460 (Gigabyte 4GB with reference ports), and run a Samsung 4k 40" TV from the Display Port via a DP to HDMI active converter. I got 60Hz 4k video by using SwitchResX software. The display is gorgeous; auditioning sound for picture projects is a joy.

Current comparable GPU to my RX460 is the RX560. Gigabyte or Sapphire version of these cards are reportedly compatible with High Sierra. For more power, the Sapphire RX580 is the one Apple approved for developers, so compatibility is assured. SwitchResX may no longer be necessary under High Sierra, but I think the DP to HDMI active converter may still be required to get 60Hz and 4k.

Babs, the wide-screen display you bought is very sweet. Enjoy!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
doodles

Post by doodles »

So I've recently done exactly the same as you. (Been working with 2 apple 30 inch monitors.)

I upgraded graphics card (to radeon r9 280x) bought 2 samsung widescreen 34 inches (curved), use one of the 30 inches as a 3rd monitor (VI's, screen sharing to PC for VE Pro), and output the movies to my 75 inch LED (4th monitor). I've put off doing this for years, as was worried DP would crap out even more on me, but so far it's running like a dream.

Good luck!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... I'm running 2 Apple Cinema displays of an ATI 5770. One is 30"... the other 24" (this is in control room) and I have another 24" out in the studio so I can operate DP when tracking vocals, etc. I'm thinking of mounting a HD television on the wall in front of my mix position with the thought of using that in lieu of the monitor out in the studio in times when I may wish to start dabbling with music to picture.

I think the 5770 should be okay if I'm going to be working with regular HD, 1920 x 1080. I might need a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. But now I'm wondering if I should be worrying about 4k? Is regular 1080 HD soon to be old news? If so, would a more powerful card drive monitors for DP and a 4K display for video footage, or could I find a free PCI slot and drop another graphics card in there? Ugh... decisions, decisions...

HC Markus... I will need to take a look at your setup. Right now, as I said mine is a 30" and 24" display:

30" = 2560 x 1600 = 4,096,000 pixels
24" = 1920 x 1200 = 2,304,000 pixels

So total screen real estate of 6,400,000 pixels

Will a 4K screen give me that much? Oh well... baby steps. Maybe I will just get a 1080 HD TV for picture just to get my feet wet with what I have. They're not that expensive these days.

rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I am very happy with my $150 purchase - the HP ZR30w. My major concern and the biggest challenge has always been the fact that I am running 4 computers (2 Mac Pros, Mac Mini, and G5) into this dual display setup using a single keyboard and mouse via an Adder AV4PRO-DVI-DUAL. If I ran the 4K display, I don't think there would be any way for me to get the Mac Mini and the G5 to be able to use that display. And I know - the g5 is old - but I run everything via VSL Ensemble Pro and there are still some programs and setups on it that run really well. I think that if I was only using the Mac Pro I would jump to the 4K or maybe even the 5K screens. But for now, and until I can upgrade all my computers, I'm sticking with what works for me. I'm truly glad that there are others out there trying to figure this out. I cannot even begin to imagine working on a laptop-sized screen again. Having this large screen-estate is necessary to help keep me working throughout the long hours. Thanks for a great discussion.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...