Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Post by rosindabow »

I've been running dual video monitors for years. One is an Apple 30" HD Cinema Display and the other is an older Apple 27" cinema display. The older unit is beginning to crap out. I know that Apple has discontinued all their displays except the 27" Thunderbolt. I was wondering if anyone works with a larger single display. Something like 48" or even bigger? Something that wold allow me to get rid of both of my displays and work on one large visual desktop. I am running 4 computers (2 Mac Pros, Mac Mini, and G5) into this dual display using a single keyboard and mouse via an Adder AV4PRO-DVI-DUAL. Any suggestions? Anyone using a large single screen video display/monitor? Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
mikehalloran

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Post by mikehalloran »

Apple discontinued all displays months ago. No word if they have anything in the pipeline.

With excellent HDMI backlit LCD monitors avatlable at 1/4 – 1/3 the price, it's quite possible that they may have abandoned the market.

Adapters to HDMI are available for every type of connection. The current generation displays are cool to the touch. The savings on your electric bill will easily pay for the latest and greatest. Don't buy old stock just because it's on sale. If there's no HDMI input, it's old and less energy efficient. A few will also have DVI inputs but that's not an issue since adapters are readily available and inexpensive.

Many older apps do not look good on 4K monitors. Best to double check or have return privileges if considering one of these.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Any specific model number or brand that you know of?
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I would seriously look into a 4k 40" or larger display, or consider one of those cool LG ultra wide his-res monitors.

You probably want to be sure you can monitor at 60hz; some set ups allow only 30hz 4k video.

While I am not a fan of curved TV's, when monitoring computers, we sit much closer to the screen and a curved display makes a lot of sense.

You might want to snoop around Macrumors.com in the Mac Pro forum. Lots of talk of monitors and video cards there.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

HCMarkus wrote:I would seriously look into a 4k 40" or larger display, or consider one of those cool LG ultra wide his-res monitors.

You probably want to be sure you can monitor at 60hz; some set ups allow only 30hz 4k video.

While I am not a fan of curved TV's, when monitoring computers, we sit much closer to the screen and a curved display makes a lot of sense.

You might want to snoop around Macrumors.com in the Mac Pro forum. Lots of talk of monitors and video cards there.
Thanks for this ... One question - How do I determine what my setup is capable of running? What factors am I looking at. The display card? Thanks again.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

rosindabow wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I would seriously look into a 4k 40" or larger display, or consider one of those cool LG ultra wide his-res monitors.

Thanks for this ... One question - How do I determine what my setup is capable of running? What factors am I looking at. The display card? Thanks again.
I'm not an expert in this area, but yes, you may need an updated GPU (video card). Mac Video Cards has info on his website; he also sells newer model cards. Read his FAQ and check his blog. Note power requirements and which ports on the cards serve 4k 60hz; DVI may not work here. You may be able to only connect one Mac to the monitor and view the other computers via screen sharing. http://www.macvidcards.com/store/c1/Fea ... ducts.html

We are in a transitional time at the moment, with the newest, most power-efficient cards just hitting the market from the two GPU manufacturers, AMD and Nvidia. Drivers are not yet available for the newest 10xx Nvidia cards. The new AMD 470 is working under MacOS Sierra (to be released 9/20), but may have limited functionality. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd ... e.1989458/

Interesting times!
avery

Post by avery »

In my experience, you will get more bang for you buck with ASUS or Dell monitors
avery

Post by avery »

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

There is a relatively inexpensive Phillips 4k 40" display:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350U ... 4k+monitor

Inexpensive when you consider how many pixels you get...
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

rosindabow wrote: Anyone using a large single screen video display/monitor? Thanks.
Yes I do. I use a 60" LG LCD, probably 6 years old now. It only has 1920 X 1080 resolution, but that's probably as much as I can get out of my video card, being that my monitors are all extended via CAT6 from another room. I need 60" because it's nearly 8 feet away from me, between the speakers (I don't use near-field monitoring).

The 1080p is a little limiting for me, but using Spaces (still called that?), and having a set of console commands for the consolidated window, really help. Honestly, with aging eyes, I would rather have to deal with less resolution, than to deal with not being able to see it. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

HCMarkus wrote:There is a relatively inexpensive Phillips 4k 40" display:

Does it work right out of the box or do you need a display card?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

rosindabow wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:There is a relatively inexpensive Phillips 4k 40" display:

Does it work right out of the box or do you need a display card?
You're gonna' need to do some research to understand GPU (Graphic Processor Unit or, as you put it, "Display Card") requirements if you want t go 4k. Please refer to my earlier post...
HCMarkus wrote:I'm not an expert in this area, but yes, you may need an updated GPU (video card). Mac Video Cards has info on his website; he also sells newer model cards. Read his FAQ and check his blog. Note power requirements and which ports on the cards serve 4k 60hz; DVI may not work here. You may be able to only connect one Mac to the monitor and view the other computers via screen sharing. http://www.macvidcards.com/store/c1/Fea ... ducts.html

We are in a transitional time at the moment, with the newest, most power-efficient cards just hitting the market from the two GPU manufacturers, AMD and Nvidia. Drivers are not yet available for the newest 10xx Nvidia cards. The new AMD 470 is working under MacOS Sierra (to be released 9/20), but may have limited functionality. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd ... e.1989458/
4k or 5k holds tremendous promise for DAW users, but I haven't gone 4k myself, so we have here a fine example of the blind leading the blind. Perhaps others at MotuNation have made the leap to 4k or 5k monitors. Anyone care to chime in?

PS: The simple way is to buy an iMac...
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

HCMarkus wrote:
I cannot go there yet. Still running a couple of MOTU 2408 Mk3 and 24i/o Also running 4 computers at the same time. 30 firewire 800 and USB 3 drives. Not about to do the major switch just yet. And even with an iMac, I would want a second monitor.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

With an iMac made in 2011 or later, you can run two more monitors easily. Mini Display—HDMI adapters cost a few dollars and plug into the TB ports. With my 2010, I have an MD Port for one and run a USB monitor also.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

rosindabow wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:
I cannot go there yet. Still running a couple of MOTU 2408 Mk3 and 24i/o Also running 4 computers at the same time. 30 firewire 800 and USB 3 drives. Not about to do the major switch just yet. And even with an iMac, I would want a second monitor.
Totally get that... I'm in the same boat with UAD2 card and lots of SSDs and HDs and would probably go PC before iMac. Plus, I love having my computer in a machine room with only monitors on my desk. I've looked with some lust at that Phillips monitor, but then look back at the Dells gracing my desk now and realize they work just fine. And then I think about a GPU and system upgrade and lust turns to dust.

4k is happening, but still a bit of a chore to sort out. With the death of your monitor, you are at a crossroads. If you really want it, you can do it rosindabow! Check in over at MacRumors.com and post your questions there. You may get the help you need.