It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 am
   
Text Size

Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderators: James Steele, Shooshie

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."

Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby rosindabow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:03 am

I've been running dual video monitors for years. One is an Apple 30" HD Cinema Display and the other is an older Apple 27" cinema display. The older unit is beginning to crap out. I know that Apple has discontinued all their displays except the 27" Thunderbolt. I was wondering if anyone works with a larger single display. Something like 48" or even bigger? Something that wold allow me to get rid of both of my displays and work on one large visual desktop. I am running 4 computers (2 Mac Pros, Mac Mini, and G5) into this dual display using a single keyboard and mouse via an Adder AV4PRO-DVI-DUAL. Any suggestions? Anyone using a large single screen video display/monitor? Thanks.
DP 9.5, Mac Pro 5.1, OS X 10.12.6, 48 GB RAM, 2x2408mk3, 2x24I/O, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves, NI Komplete 11, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion One, II, II, IV; Symphobia 1,2, & 3, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, Pianos, Drums, lots of other stuff...
rosindabow
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: near the blue...
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby mikehalloran » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 am

Apple discontinued all displays months ago. No word if they have anything in the pipeline.

With excellent HDMI backlit LCD monitors avatlable at 1/4 – 1/3 the price, it's quite possible that they may have abandoned the market.

Adapters to HDMI are available for every type of connection. The current generation displays are cool to the touch. The savings on your electric bill will easily pay for the latest and greatest. Don't buy old stock just because it's on sale. If there's no HDMI input, it's old and less energy efficient. A few will also have DVI inputs but that's not an issue since adapters are readily available and inexpensive.

Many older apps do not look good on 4K monitors. Best to double check or have return privileges if considering one of these.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 16
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 8991
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby rosindabow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:05 am

Any specific model number or brand that you know of?
DP 9.5, Mac Pro 5.1, OS X 10.12.6, 48 GB RAM, 2x2408mk3, 2x24I/O, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves, NI Komplete 11, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion One, II, II, IV; Symphobia 1,2, & 3, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, Pianos, Drums, lots of other stuff...
rosindabow
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: near the blue...
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby HCMarkus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:58 am

I would seriously look into a 4k 40" or larger display, or consider one of those cool LG ultra wide his-res monitors.

You probably want to be sure you can monitor at 60hz; some set ups allow only 30hz 4k video.

While I am not a fan of curved TV's, when monitoring computers, we sit much closer to the screen and a curved display makes a lot of sense.

You might want to snoop around [url]Macrumors.com[/url] in the Mac Pro forum. Lots of talk of monitors and video cards there.
User avatar
HCMarkus
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Rancho Bohemia, California
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby rosindabow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:47 am

HCMarkus wrote:I would seriously look into a 4k 40" or larger display, or consider one of those cool LG ultra wide his-res monitors.

You probably want to be sure you can monitor at 60hz; some set ups allow only 30hz 4k video.

While I am not a fan of curved TV's, when monitoring computers, we sit much closer to the screen and a curved display makes a lot of sense.

You might want to snoop around [url]Macrumors.com[/url] in the Mac Pro forum. Lots of talk of monitors and video cards there.

Thanks for this ... One question - How do I determine what my setup is capable of running? What factors am I looking at. The display card? Thanks again.
DP 9.5, Mac Pro 5.1, OS X 10.12.6, 48 GB RAM, 2x2408mk3, 2x24I/O, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves, NI Komplete 11, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion One, II, II, IV; Symphobia 1,2, & 3, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, Pianos, Drums, lots of other stuff...
rosindabow
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: near the blue...
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby HCMarkus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:06 pm

rosindabow wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I would seriously look into a 4k 40" or larger display, or consider one of those cool LG ultra wide his-res monitors.

You probably want to be sure you can monitor at 60hz; some set ups allow only 30hz 4k video.

While I am not a fan of curved TV's, when monitoring computers, we sit much closer to the screen and a curved display makes a lot of sense.

You might want to snoop around [url]Macrumors.com[/url] in the Mac Pro forum. Lots of talk of monitors and video cards there.

Thanks for this ... One question - How do I determine what my setup is capable of running? What factors am I looking at. The display card? Thanks again.


I'm not an expert in this area, but yes, you may need an updated GPU (video card). Mac Video Cards has info on his website; he also sells newer model cards. Read his FAQ and check his blog. Note power requirements and which ports on the cards serve 4k 60hz; DVI may not work here. You may be able to only connect one Mac to the monitor and view the other computers via screen sharing. http://www.macvidcards.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

We are in a transitional time at the moment, with the newest, most power-efficient cards just hitting the market from the two GPU manufacturers, AMD and Nvidia. Drivers are not yet available for the newest 10xx Nvidia cards. The new AMD 470 is working under MacOS Sierra (to be released 9/20), but may have limited functionality. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-radeon-rx-470-updated-3-way-crossfire-possible.1989458/

Interesting times!
User avatar
HCMarkus
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Rancho Bohemia, California
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby avery » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:44 pm

In my experience, you will get more bang for you buck with ASUS or Dell monitors
avery
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby avery » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:45 pm

avery
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 pm
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby HCMarkus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:15 am

User avatar
HCMarkus
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Rancho Bohemia, California
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby Killahurts » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:12 am

rosindabow wrote: Anyone using a large single screen video display/monitor? Thanks.


Yes I do. I use a 60" LG LCD, probably 6 years old now. It only has 1920 X 1080 resolution, but that's probably as much as I can get out of my video card, being that my monitors are all extended via CAT6 from another room. I need 60" because it's nearly 8 feet away from me, between the speakers (I don't use near-field monitoring).

The 1080p is a little limiting for me, but using Spaces (still called that?), and having a set of console commands for the consolidated window, really help. Honestly, with aging eyes, I would rather have to deal with less resolution, than to deal with not being able to see it. :wink:
DP9. 12 Core Mac Pro, Lone Pine Peak, 48GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix. UAD Quad. Outboard stuff collecting dust. A Shure SM57 (which will outlast the rest of it, except possibly the SM58).
Killahurts
 
Posts: 1963
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:01 pm
Location: USA
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby rosindabow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:41 pm

HCMarkus wrote:There is a relatively inexpensive Phillips 4k 40" display:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/ref=sr_1_2/163-9950011-9153764?ie=UTF8&qid=1474470808&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+40+inch+4k+monitor

Inexpensive when you consider how many pixels you get...

Does it work right out of the box or do you need a display card?
DP 9.5, Mac Pro 5.1, OS X 10.12.6, 48 GB RAM, 2x2408mk3, 2x24I/O, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves, NI Komplete 11, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion One, II, II, IV; Symphobia 1,2, & 3, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, Pianos, Drums, lots of other stuff...
rosindabow
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: near the blue...
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby HCMarkus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:47 pm

rosindabow wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:There is a relatively inexpensive Phillips 4k 40" display:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4350UC-43-Inch-IPS-LED-Monitor/dp/B01E18XRY2/ref=sr_1_2/163-9950011-9153764?ie=UTF8&qid=1474470808&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+40+inch+4k+monitor

Inexpensive when you consider how many pixels you get...

Does it work right out of the box or do you need a display card?

You're gonna' need to do some research to understand GPU (Graphic Processor Unit or, as you put it, "Display Card") requirements if you want t go 4k. Please refer to my earlier post...

HCMarkus wrote:I'm not an expert in this area, but yes, you may need an updated GPU (video card). Mac Video Cards has info on his website; he also sells newer model cards. Read his FAQ and check his blog. Note power requirements and which ports on the cards serve 4k 60hz; DVI may not work here. You may be able to only connect one Mac to the monitor and view the other computers via screen sharing. http://www.macvidcards.com/store/c1/Fea ... ducts.html

We are in a transitional time at the moment, with the newest, most power-efficient cards just hitting the market from the two GPU manufacturers, AMD and Nvidia. Drivers are not yet available for the newest 10xx Nvidia cards. The new AMD 470 is working under MacOS Sierra (to be released 9/20), but may have limited functionality. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd ... e.1989458/

4k or 5k holds tremendous promise for DAW users, but I haven't gone 4k myself, so we have here a fine example of the blind leading the blind. Perhaps others at MotuNation have made the leap to 4k or 5k monitors. Anyone care to chime in?

PS: The simple way is to buy an iMac...
User avatar
HCMarkus
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Rancho Bohemia, California
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby rosindabow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:39 pm

HCMarkus wrote:
PS: The simple way is to buy an iMac...

I cannot go there yet. Still running a couple of MOTU 2408 Mk3 and 24i/o Also running 4 computers at the same time. 30 firewire 800 and USB 3 drives. Not about to do the major switch just yet. And even with an iMac, I would want a second monitor.
DP 9.5, Mac Pro 5.1, OS X 10.12.6, 48 GB RAM, 2x2408mk3, 2x24I/O, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves, NI Komplete 11, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Albion One, II, II, IV; Symphobia 1,2, & 3, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, Pianos, Drums, lots of other stuff...
rosindabow
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:01 pm
Location: near the blue...
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby mikehalloran » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 am

With an iMac made in 2011 or later, you can run two more monitors easily. Mini Display—HDMI adapters cost a few dollars and plug into the TB ports. With my 2010, I have an MD Port for one and run a USB monitor also.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.1
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.5.1; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3.2, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave 1.18, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 16
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
User avatar
mikehalloran
 
Posts: 8991
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm
Location: Sillie Con Valley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for a new large video display/monitor

Postby HCMarkus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:36 am

rosindabow wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:
PS: The simple way is to buy an iMac...

I cannot go there yet. Still running a couple of MOTU 2408 Mk3 and 24i/o Also running 4 computers at the same time. 30 firewire 800 and USB 3 drives. Not about to do the major switch just yet. And even with an iMac, I would want a second monitor.

Totally get that... I'm in the same boat with UAD2 card and lots of SSDs and HDs and would probably go PC before iMac. Plus, I love having my computer in a machine room with only monitors on my desk. I've looked with some lust at that Phillips monitor, but then look back at the Dells gracing my desk now and realize they work just fine. And then I think about a GPU and system upgrade and lust turns to dust.

4k is happening, but still a bit of a chore to sort out. With the death of your monitor, you are at a crossroads. If you really want it, you can do it rosindabow! Check in over at MacRumors.com and post your questions there. You may get the help you need.
User avatar
HCMarkus
 
Posts: 6276
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am
Location: Rancho Bohemia, California
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Next

Return to Digital Performer [MacOS]: Usage, Techniques, Tips & Optimization

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 151 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login Form