A new Fader port 8 released...anyone got this....

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

A new Fader port 8 released...anyone got this....

Post by bralston »

Anyone got this new Faderport yet for DP use?

Price is $499 I believe.

http://presonus.com/products/FaderPort-8
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: A new Fader port 8 released...anyone got this....

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bralston wrote:Anyone got this new Faderport yet for DP use?

Price is $499 I believe.

http://presonus.com/products/FaderPort-8
Nice! Thanks for the heads up, Brian.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Given the contents of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53680&start=45

I'm a bit wary of their new product there.
MIDI Life Crisis

Robert Randolph wrote:Given the contents of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53680&start=45

Wow. You chased down a three year old thread for that?

Impressive!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Given the contents of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53680&start=45

Wow. You chased down a three year old thread for that?

Impressive!
It's the second google result here for "Digital Performer Faderport"

Not much chasing was necessary.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm not that wary. There's a difference between an older legacy product and a new one. I would expect that if they're introducing something new, it's likely they'll make it work with contemporary DAWs, including DP.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Looks pretty nice to me. Thanks again, Brian.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Great price point. Sweetwater already has it up for preorder.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

dbender

Post by dbender »

Interested, but ... Wonder how it compares to the Behringer X-Touch (feel, number of buttons, DP functions support, size, fader loudness, etc.), and how much it supports DP 9 functions.
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dbender wrote:Interested, but ... Wonder how it compares to the Behringer X-Touch (feel, number of buttons, DP functions support, size, fader loudness, etc.), and how much it supports DP 9 functions.
I have the same concerns about DP support regarding the Behringer unit. I don't know of anybody using one with DP right now. If someone is out there, speak up. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Robert Randolph

So, after some research it appears that this would work the same as any other HUI mode controller.

Is there anything about this specifically that you couldn't get with an old mackie control? I am trying to figure out what's unique or interesting about it other than being new.

I am in the market for something like this, but was leaning towards just getting a second hand mackie control+extender.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:I have the same concerns about DP support regarding the Behringer unit. I don't know of anybody using one with DP right now. If someone is out there, speak up. :)
I'm not.. but I just thought I'd add that the Behringer unit will support the most DAWs that it can because they have no DAW software. Presonus has Studio One, and that would have to be their priority, don't you think?

I gave my Presonus faderport (single) to my buddy who uses Studio One on a PC, years ago.

I hate to sound cynical, but until MOTU creates a dedicated work surface, all these third party offerings are non-starters for me.

The only exception is the Raven line by Slate. That company (and Steven Slate himself, here) promised they would include DP users, and they made good on that promise. Budget is the only thing holding me back from getting one. Or two. And they have the best customer service around..

Still, a DP-centric MOTU offering would be seriously considered.. when I'm ready with the money, I select whoever's ready with the gear.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I got an old Mackie from the used music store near me for $100. I kind of just wanted to see how it worked, I don't quite have enough room for it but maybe I can use it with second rig.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Avid's Eucon has really deep integration into DP, not just ProTools.

It seems to be Mackie HUI emulation has been done a million times before. I would be surprised at anyone coming out with something new that doesn't have it's own version of so0mething like Eucon, otherwise it's just another in the long line of Mackie or Mackie-type controllers.

At least the original Personus Faderport jumps too the current highlighted channel in DP...a real blessing!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote:At least the original Personus Faderport jumps too the current highlighted channel in DP...a real blessing!
AlphaTrack will do so too. Only problem is you can't select a channel in DP's mixing board and have AT or FP jump to that channel, but that was a DP issue from what I've heard.