Play 5 Anyone?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Play 5 Anyone?

Post by dix »

Play 5 is now available. Anyone tried with DP 9 or 9.1?

"We're proud to announce the release of the 5th version of PLAY, boasting a major performance upgrade. PLAY 5 is the fastest version to date with dramatically improved load times thanks to an optimized engine.

This is a massive upgrade to the PLAY engine. Power users in particular will appreciate the special optimization settings for SSDs and PCIe-based flash storage. We're really proud of the improvements we were able to make."
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Tobor

Re: Play 5 Anyone?

Post by Tobor »

Upgraded today. I haven't really had Play 4 very long but I got redline spikes with just one instrument loaded when I was kicking the tires and that didn't improve at all with Pre-Gen (even worse) in 9.12.

But....after upgrading to Play 5, that same (formerly) spikey instance barely moves the meter in 9.02. Really excited to start exploring Hollywood Orchestra in earnest, the sounds are great but the hassle factor until now was prohibitive.

Unwrap your new toy.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
dix

Post by dix »

Great news! I've got a couple of deadline projects going at the moment. so I'll wait for a few more reports to upgrade. But it sounds promising! Thx!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

hooray. Maybe they finally got it right. I might even consider re-enabling it in my template again. Please keep us posted.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I installed it and tested out the standalone, haven't loaded it into DP 9.12 or PT 12 yet. I've never had a problem with any version of PLAY, though, and I can't imagine this version will be any different.
dlx wrote:Great news! I've got a couple of deadline projects going at the moment. so I'll wait for a few more reports to upgrade. But it sounds promising! Thx!
I did my update via the player menu. When I reopened PLAY, I actually had to check the version number to make sure 5 had installed. Whatever the differences are from 4, they're all under the hood -- I don't think you're going to have any problems.

(Edit: Just tried it out now, out of curiosity. Works fine in DP 9.12, still haven't tried it in PT 12 yet)
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Night and day. The Hollywood samples in the heavy version now load fast and furious! :-)
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Any of you Play users on Composer Cloud?

I purchased a one month subscription but
couldnt activate Composer Cloud or any of the
libraries I downloaded.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
dix

Post by dix »

I have the Composer Cloud. I've had no issues authorizing libraries in the past.

Doesn't seem likely that Play 5 would cause that particular issue, but m'be. Is this the first time you tried the Composer Cloud? Did earlier Play versions work David?
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

dix wrote:I have the Composer Cloud. I've had no issues authorizing libraries in the past.

Doesn't seem likely that Play 5 would cause that particular issue, but m'be. Is this the first time you tried the Composer Cloud? Did earlier Play versions work David?
Let's see - well, for starters I had to install the Installation Center four times before it would finally
present me with the "Machine ID" authorization option. I downloaded the Gold Cello - and it arrived as four zip files, one of which would not unzip. Followed installation guide to the letter, but could not get past Play's error message "file paths not found, please set Favorites file path". I tried setting the file paths as instructed on EW's website...no joy.

It shouldn't be this difficult, IMO. At least Kontakt (and UVI) libraries install and load without issues if you simply follow the instructions. I did not get off to a good start with Composer Cloud, and
frankly it was enough to dissuade me from bothering with it or any EW products.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
dix

Post by dix »

Crap. Sorry to hear that David. I've had plenty of technical issues with East West over the years, but not so much recently. Again, it sounds like your issues are with the Control Center not Play. Possibly something going on with East West's server with a lot people wanting the update?

Things slowed down a bit so I went ahead and updated Play to 5.0.0. Unlike David, the install was uneventful. I just hit the Update button in the Control Center and it downloaded and launched an installer. So far it seems solid. Load times are indeed improved. I won't have to think twice about whether to use large East West libraries in projects any more. A great update from my perspective.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Play 5 is working great here. I really appreciate the free built in SSL FX. 8)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.