Why can't I choose the Classic Theme?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Why can't I choose the Classic Theme?

Post by Babz »

I tried to give the new DP 9 dark look a chance, but it's just too dark to see the bar lines -- at least on the current project and monitor on which I am working.

I wanted just the same old classic look that we had up until DP 9, but when I go to Preferences->Themes and try to choose "Classic," it is grayed out.

Why?

How can I get the DP 8 look in DP 9? (Without Amplidood hacks, etc.)

If, for some reason, MOTU has decided to prevent us from using the Classic theme in DP 9, what's the next closest one?

I'm not fussy about themes. I just need something that isn't too distracting, so I can focus on editing notes!

For now I've selected Medium Dark, which is fine, except I hate the pale blue color for the counter, etc.

Thx,
Babz
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why can't I choose the Classic Theme?

Post by Phil O »

Notice on the right hand side of the Theme preference window it lists DP version numbers. Classic is listed as 7.2 - 8. I used Classic in the past as well and have now switched to Producer because I didn't like the blue either. Great minds think alike. :wink: Producer uses green (which you might not like either), but I'm getting used to it.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Producer is the only theme I can even begin to use. The only brightness vs. contrast spectrum that these eyes can handle. Some of the other themes look like they were cooked up by someone with a bad case of indigestion, or maybe even influenza. "Lattuga Gustosissima" or "Hardware"? :shock: :vomit:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

cuttime wrote:Producer is the only theme I can even begin to use. The only brightness vs. contrast spectrum that these eyes can handle. Some of the other themes look like they were cooked up by someone with a bad case of indigestion, or maybe even influenza. "Lattuga Gustosissima" or "Hardware"? :shock: :vomit:
Agreed.

8-bit and Producer are the only ones I can handle. 8-bit works well in a very brightly lit room (which my control room is). Producer works nicely anywhere.

The default DP9 theme though, I really am not a fan of.

Regardless, it's great that we have options and I'm very thankful to the people involved.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Producer. Cool. Thanks. I had been using the one called "Eight." But I'm trying Producer now. Looks a bit Cubase-ish (not necessarily a bad thing; never minded the Cubase look), but definitely makes it easy to read and see everything. This may be the one.

Babz
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi everyone!

I've been using MOTools, which I like very much. I'm not a fan of that "dark look".

Mike
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not sure what I will settle on but Nine ain't it. Eight Bit looks too much like iOS for me. There are a number of good choices including Producer.

I was having troubles selecting. Click and Save wasn't working. Then I double-clicked. Oh...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

"Eight" is the best for me by far!!!
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I like Motools too with a few small changes I've made to improve the readability of small fonts using better contrast, and more distinct highlighting of the active tab in each cell of the CW. With that, I find I'm not really noticing the GUI at all, which is probably the best GUI we can ask for.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I use my own customised theme
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I use my own customised theme
That Alladin Sane wiper totally rules!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Babz wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:I use my own customised theme
That Alladin Sane wiper totally rules!
Thanks - the beauty of DP Themes is you can do stuff like that.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.