VE Pro 6 and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

VE Pro 6 and DP

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi!

Is anyone using the new VE Pro 6 with any version of DP?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VE Pro 6 and DP

Post by Killahurts »

I'm using it with 9.1.2 on the same machine, it's fantastic.

The new tabs in VEP are awesome- essentially one window with all the instances accessible in it. That really helps the workflow with the host DAW. I used to have to put the instances into several desktops and switch to those to work with it. Now that VEP has a "consolidated" window, I can keep it right there behind DP, or simply collapse it in and out of the dock!

Functionally, it seems to work perfectly, even with years-old projects I've been pulling up! I do not use offline bouncing, so I don't know if there is still the problem of bounces not syncing right, that some here have been reporting.

One thing is, it definitely works better with DP's new Pre-Gen technology.. even with 2 buffers in VEP, the latency in real time playing is practically unnoticeable to my ears.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thanks very much.

I'm going to make the jump!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
labman

Post by labman »

That is awesome news Killa! All VI's seem peachy in VEP6?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

labman wrote:That is awesome news Killa! All VI's seem peachy in VEP6?
Well, I have mostly K5 in VEP and it works fine. But let's see.. I do have a few East West Play in there, and it's working very well, both in VEP and DP9 (that surprised me, until I remembered that I put all the Play stuff on the PCI SSD blade, got tired of fussing with its drive performance requirements). Have some Omnisphere and Korg M1s as well, no problems.

I'm pulling up some old projects and working with new ones right now, so some are pre MAS VEP, and the new ones are all using the MAS plugin version.. literally no problems at all.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman

Post by labman »

sweet. thanks Killa.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Hi Killahurts,
I'm glad that everything runs fine on your side. But let me ask you a question, why are you using multiple VEP instances? Couldn't you use just one, being that MAS version has not the 16 channel restriction of the VST version?
Just curious :mrgreen:
TIA
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Arceo wrote:Hi Killahurts,
I'm glad that everything runs fine on your side. But let me ask you a question, why are you using multiple VEP instances? Couldn't you use just one, being that MAS version has not the 16 channel restriction of the VST version?
Just curious :mrgreen:
TIA
I could use one instance, but I would be limited to 32 channels of audio (16 stereo), and that's not enough for me. My largest template has around 35 stereo VIs in VEP, and they all come into DP separate, i.e. there is no mixing done in VEP.

Plus, I've tried it with fewer, or one instance before, and DP didn't handle it as well performance-wise. Just like instruments hosted in DP itself, DP does better with more instances doing less heavy lifting individually.

And then there's the past I've carried along with me. With VE Pro, there used to be no choice but to use multiple instances, not just from MIDI channel restrictions, but also because there used to be 32 bit and 64 bit servers running at the same time for when the plugins were all transitioning. Then there was the period when EW Play wouldn't work in VEP unless they were in their own instance by themselves, ect., etc. When I first started using VEP in 2009, I had two slave machines running maybe 5-8 or more instances each! Now everything is in one machine, but old habits die hard! :wink:
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

i'm finding that with VEP6 (and DP9.12) every time VEP is triggered in my DP sequence, the computer annoyingly switches to VEP from DP. didn't used to happen...did i miss a setting, or setting change?
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

eh - solved my own problem. there's a setting on the top pane of the VEP window called 'MIDI focus" - that was the trouble. so many settings...
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
labman

Post by labman »

stringtheory wrote:eh - solved my own problem. there's a setting on the top pane of the VEP window called 'MIDI focus" - that was the trouble. so many settings...
Thanks for the update. Can you explain in more detail what this does. Not understanding.
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

there's a button at the top of of the VEP Server instance window (not the plugin window in DP, but the VEP window itself) with an icon that looks like a target. it's between the tuning reference button and the "disable keyboard shortcuts" button. if this button is activated, whenever VEP receives a MIDI signal from the host (DP), focus will shift from the host to VEP.

i hope that's clear...
labman

Post by labman »

stringtheory wrote:there's a button at the top of of the VEP Server instance window (not the plugin window in DP, but the VEP window itself) with an icon that looks like a target. it's between the tuning reference button and the "disable keyboard shortcuts" button. if this button is activated, whenever VEP receives a MIDI signal from the host (DP), focus will shift from the host to VEP.

i hope that's clear...
Thanks StringT. That is pretty cool. That could be very useful. It must be a VEP6 thing, or I had been blind. - or both ;)
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

My VE Pro 6 apparently installed with that button off by default, I didn't know about it.

I'm trying to figure out how a setting like that could be useful, and I just can't..
labman

Post by labman »

Killahurts wrote:My VE Pro 6 apparently installed with that button off by default, I didn't know about it.

I'm trying to figure out how a setting like that could be useful, and I just can't..
multiple screens?