VE Pro 6 and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Arceo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VE Pro 6 and DP

Post by Arceo »

Killahurts wrote:
Arceo wrote:Hi Killahurts,
I'm glad that everything runs fine on your side. But let me ask you a question, why are you using multiple VEP instances? Couldn't you use just one, being that MAS version has not the 16 channel restriction of the VST version?
Just curious :mrgreen:
TIA
I could use one instance, but I would be limited to 32 channels of audio (16 stereo), and that's not enough for me. My largest template has around 35 stereo VIs in VEP, and they all come into DP separate, i.e. there is no mixing done in VEP.

Plus, I've tried it with fewer, or one instance before, and DP didn't handle it as well performance-wise. Just like instruments hosted in DP itself, DP does better with more instances doing less heavy lifting individually.

And then there's the past I've carried along with me. With VE Pro, there used to be no choice but to use multiple instances, not just from MIDI channel restrictions, but also because there used to be 32 bit and 64 bit servers running at the same time for when the plugins were all transitioning. Then there was the period when EW Play wouldn't work in VEP unless they were in their own instance by themselves, ect., etc. When I first started using VEP in 2009, I had two slave machines running maybe 5-8 or more instances each! Now everything is in one machine, but old habits die hard! :wink:
Hey Killa, thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. It all make sense to me, since I'm still (and comfortably so far!) in DP 7.12 and VEPRO4. As soon as I'll upgrade my system I'll remember your valuable considerations.
Cheers.
Arceo
jresende

Post by jresende »

Hi dear friends from Motunation!
I am using VE Pro 6 on my mac mini, OS El Capitan networked with one PC .
Everything is working fine.
Ooops , just one detail : when I click save when Digital Performer 9.12 isplaying one sequence , the sound coming from Vienna is interruped and then return to play.
This is the only problem I have. The solution for me, don't click save on DP when is playing .
I don't know if some of you have this little problem.
Regards from Brasil!
Jota Resende
:D
Jota Resende
Brazilian Musician (Piano & Keyboards),Producer and Arranger.
https://www.facebook.com/jota.resende
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

jresende wrote: Ooops , just one detail : when I click save when Digital Performer 9.12 isplaying one sequence , the sound coming from Vienna is interruped and then return to play.
:D
Hey there Jota. Had same issue. Motu tech support said to make sure NOT to have the plugin set to realtime. (under rightsize mini menu for the plug.) And they said to only run plugs with visual metering in realtime. Solved my issue, excepting of course for the metering ones.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

jresende wrote:The solution for me, don't click save on DP when is playing .
I never do. When I started working with DAWs, saving while something was playing meant certain disaster.. guess I got so used to that I never changed!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Oops Jota. I misread you post! So sorry.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

Hey all- I just went back to DP9.02 but using the latest update for VEP6. I noticed when I used the fast bounce, that VEP reloads all the instruments TWICE during the mixdown... That's never occurred before when using DP and VEP. Not sure if there is any settings to fix this. I've tried changing the pre-gen settings but to no avail....

Any suggestions?

David
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
doodles

Post by doodles »

dcoscina wrote:Hey all- I just went back to DP9.02 but using the latest update for VEP6. I noticed when I used the fast bounce, that VEP reloads all the instruments TWICE during the mixdown... That's never occurred before when using DP and VEP. Not sure if there is any settings to fix this. I've tried changing the pre-gen settings but to no avail....

Any suggestions?
That always used to happen to me, which is why bouncing is an impossibility for me, unless I'm missing something, with my huge templates. When DP "bounces", it does the equivalent of resetting the MOTU audio engine, rerouting AUXES internally, etc(forgive my crap explanation), to all intents and purposes having to reload all the instances of it. So if yo've got 10 VE Pro plugs, it's going to reload all 10 of them.

I'm on 8.07, mind you, so this might have changed in 9.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam