DP 8 tab to transient equivalent?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8 tab to transient equivalent?

Post by rosindabow »

Is the a DP 8 tab to transient (Pro Tools) equivalent? Also, how do I tab to region and the have the selection (the wiper must move) start there? And to make this into a compound question, does anyone have a list of all the keys in the Commands window? There are some symbols there that are not viewable on my Mac Keyboard.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
kwiz

Re: DP 8 tab to transient equivalent?

Post by kwiz »

Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

rosindabow wrote:Is the a DP 8 tab to transient (Pro Tools) equivalent? Also, how do I tab to region and the have the selection (the wiper must move) start there? And to make this into a compound question, does anyone have a list of all the keys in the Commands window? There are some symbols there that are not viewable on my Mac Keyboard.
Outside of the waveform editor (which has tab to transient), there's only 1 workaround I know of for the Sequence Editor.

First you need to have your beats analyzed. (pg. 627 in DP9 pdf manual for more info).

Then you need to use the Audio->Audio Beats->New Soundbites from beats (ctrl-B in OS X) function. This will split your selection on the transients.

Now you can use the commands Previous Soundbite (option-command-[) and Next Soundbite (option-command-]) to move to the beginning of the next soundbite, which now will correspond to transients and any other edits that you may have made.

If you want to adjust the selection while using this method then check the commands window for the following commands.
  • Move Selection Start to Next Region
  • Move Selection Start to Previous Region
  • Move Selection End to Next Region
  • Move Selection End to Previous Region
You can also search for "Move Select" and "Grow select" for some other applicable options.

When you're done using this workflow you can repair your soundbite-mess with Audio->Merge Soundbites (option-shift-M in OS X).

Another thing that may be useful for your workflow is the "Snap to Beat" function. See pg. 633 in the manual. If you have the "Grid" option enabled in the Sequence Editor in Preferences->Editing->Information Bar, then "Snap to Beat" mode is represented by the checkbox with the purple marker to its right.

editorialization: Does this suck? Yep. Does it work? Yep. Folks have been asking for 'Tab to Transient' for at least 10 years in DP. :banghead:
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Yeah, I've been scratching my head on why Tab to Transient hasn't been implemented by now.
I'm glad we're finally going to get better pitch, and time stretch algos soon. Maybe T to T will be next :lol: :roll:
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas