Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Post by Dwetmaster »

My point is:
Omnisphere already covers most of the Synths need I have, if it's remotely as good as Omnisphere at what it does, then there's no point in using anything else...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Interesting; I don't think I've even auditioned Omnisphere's synth sounds. It never occurs me to go to a mega-library that could take eons to find something useful in, even with category and timbre searches.

I use Omnisphere almost exclusively for it synth-sounding human voice choirs. I mean, they're sample based and humans, but sound like synths due to all the extrapolation into false ranges.

It often fits in the mix better than a more traditional synthy-like choir such as a Mellotron or a String Synthesizer (most of which also had vocal patches). Warmer too. And yet the ones I like most are probably from the older 1990's Akai libraries. :-) I think I may have paid extra as an add-on?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

mhschmieder wrote:Interesting; I don't think I've even auditioned Omnisphere's synth sounds. It never occurs me to go to a mega-library that could take eons to find something useful in, even with category and timbre searches.

I use Omnisphere almost exclusively for it synth-sounding human voice choirs. I mean, they're sample based and humans, but sound like synths due to all the extrapolation into false ranges.
Wait a minute - you paid $480 or thereabouts for Omnisphere just to use ONE of its sounds? :shock:

Must be a pretty darn good sound!

[Edit: Like I should talk - hope I didn't sound too harsh there!]

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Looks great, but I am already quite happy with Ivory and Komplete Ultimate for acoustic piano, Wurli and Rhodes. The other stuff doesn't really interest me that much.

Omnisphere synths are awesome and fun mh. Give 'em a spin!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

After listened to the video I'm left thinking my True Keys pianos are just fine. I don't have a lot of nostalgic feelings for an old Wurly and $4 bills seems a fair price for what they're offering. Most sounds II'll probably never use and it duplicates much of what is s already in my system. Good starter set.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tbon

Post by tbon »

This will be hard resist……..gotta love Greg Phillinganes playing’ that buttery LA Rhodes patch, quoting, interestingly enough, two Jay Graydon / David Foster hits. Cool….. :D
dix

Post by dix »

Yes, I'm a little surprised with this release. It's not like a lot of these keyboards aren't covered extremely well in other products. A B3 is the only keyboard that I no longer have a definitive go-to for (RIP B4), but it's not part of Keyscape. ...and what of RMX?! It really could use a redo to bring it into the modern era.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, I doubt it could beat True Keys due to limited (if any) mic choices. In the sampling world, True Keys is the one to beat at this point. A few others come close, but that one comes the closest of any to having the level of flexibility of a modeled product like Pianoteq.

Not sure if the acoustic pianos are meant to be the selling point, the e-keys, or whatever? I mean, it's a catch-all of acoustic and electric pianos, so I supposed that makes it the software equivalent to a typical Digital Piano from Roland or Yamaha. I don't think there are any other VI's like that yet?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Houndman

Post by Houndman »

Spectrasonics products, IMHO are must haves.
This is another one.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:After listened to the video I'm left thinking my True Keys pianos are just fine. I don't have a lot of nostalgic feelings for an old Wurly and $4 bills seems a fair price for what they're offering. Most sounds II'll probably never use and it duplicates much of what is s already in my system. Good starter set.
That's my take. There's nothing in there I don't have a "good enough" version of lying around.

I've declared a moratorium on instrument purchases - and FWIW, I find myself relying on my Korg Kronos more and more for a lot of sounds. I think its pianos are among the best around (sympathetic resonance and half damping sustain pedal and all that stuff is incredible - and largely lost on this ham fisted guitarist anyway).

If I want a Wurly - MrTramp is free and plenty good. LoungeLizard and the Kronos have the Rhodes more than covered. PianoTeq - at $99 covers a lot of odd vintage instruments and a variety of bells as well.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
waxman

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:Looks great, but I am already quite happy with Ivory and Komplete Ultimate for acoustic piano, Wurli and Rhodes. The other stuff doesn't really interest me that much.

Hi Marcus, Which NI ultimate Rhodes patches do you like?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

waxman wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Looks great, but I am already quite happy with Ivory and Komplete Ultimate for acoustic piano, Wurli and Rhodes. The other stuff doesn't really interest me that much.

Hi Marcus, Which NI ultimate Rhodes patches do you like?
Aloha fellow San Diegan!

I think the samples and playability are good, but am not enamored with some of the built in FX. I usually start with a basic patch, then process to taste, often using external plugins to achieve the sound I seek for the project at hand. Compression brings out the cream...
waxman

Post by waxman »

Yes that was a nice answer... and what are some of the patches you like to start building with? Are those trade secrets? If you tell me will you have to kill me?

Because I can't find anything as good as what I am hearing on Keyscapes even when I process the heck out of it. I spoke to my keyboard guy Dave Polich. He said nothing on my Kronos X or the NI and Arturia stuff I have is as good as Keyscapes so I think I will get it when I can download it. $399 is not bad for all that stuff. I have always liked Spectrasonics VI's.

In the early 80s I used to do sessions in a little studio in Costa Mesa called Front Page. Eric Persing did sessions there as a sound designer. He was doing insane things with stacking sounds, D-50s, samplers, Yamaha TG stuff and classic analog synths. He would have these patches in his Roland Sampler. It was the infancy of Atmosphere and Omnisphere. He would have the stacks all on a card and take the card and proprietary cables with him when he went to lunch. The guy was seriously ahead of his time. Now he will sell the secrets for $399. I think I'll pay for it... PS for years I have owned Atmosphere and Omnisphere and Stylus RMX... they are great... but the NI stuff is for a different thing...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Even from the Keyscape demos, I can tell the instruments in this package are the best I've heard
from any vendor, in any format.

To aprecaite the difference in the sound of the Keyscape instruments, you have to be a keyboard player with an extensive knowledge of what these vintage keys really sound like. For most folks, what they currently own is likely good enough. The Spectrasonics Keyscape package is for purists who are still searching for the ultimate "nailed" vintage keys sounds. It's a lot like guitarists and amps - for non guitarists, a current model Fender, Vox, or Marshall amp is good enough. For really experienced (and picky) guitar players, nothing but their favorite boutique amp will do. Think of Keyscape as a "boutique" collection...if you just occassionally call up a keyboard sound, you don't need this.

I own a Kronos X 61. I use it for primarily for live gigging, and some studio stuff. While the Rhodes and Wurlies in the Kronos are pretty good and very usable, they do not come close to what Keyscape offers.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

David Polich wrote:Even from the Keyscape demos, I can tell the instruments in this package are the best I've heard
from any vendor, in any format.
That was my impression exactly. You could really heard the difference.
David Polich wrote:To aprecaite the difference in the sound of the Keyscape instruments, you have to be a keyboard player with an extensive knowledge of what these vintage keys really sound like. For most folks, what they currently own is likely good enough. The Spectrasonics Keyscape package is for purists who are still searching for the ultimate "nailed" vintage keys sounds. It's a lot like guitarists and amps - for non guitarists, a current model Fender, Vox, or Marshall amp is good enough. For really experienced (and picky) guitar players, nothing but their favorite boutique amp will do. Think of Keyscape as a "boutique" collection...if you just occassionally call up a keyboard sound, you don't need this.
Yes, indeed. as someone who owned a lot of these keyboards back in the 70s (Rhodes suitcase, Wurly 140B ... even a Hohner Pianet at one point), I have tried just about everything that has come along over the years, and these sound like the most carefully-crafted versions I've heard yet. And the acoustic pianos sound like they could offer just that something like that classic 70s sound that I am forever searching for in a piano (Carole King, Laura Nyro, Todd Rundgren, etc.; most digital pianos I try seem they are aimed at a more classical piano type of playing).

I have to believe that a lot of what makes this package so superior comes from the brilliance and perfectionism of Eric P himself, who clearly knows how to do sampling right -- including the most important ingredient: knowing what the originals are supposed to sound like and getting the best-sound instrument before you even record a single note. I only wish he had taken on the mighty Hammond challenge, but alas, no organs in this package.

So without having actually tried Keyscape myself, just based on the video, my impression is that these will set the new standard for definitive versions of these instruments. However, I also imagine price for all this perfection will be a pretty hefty hit in the resource dept.

Best,
Babz