Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Post by BobK »

mhschmieder wrote:What the other reviewer says is that the limitations of Kontakt for effects (a reason given by Gospel Musicians for why they switched to UVI from Kontakt), are crippling when it comes to e-pianos. You can use plug-in VST's/AU's later on, but to be frank, the only one worth considering is the Overloud effects suite that used to be part of Scarbee's range, and even that one isn't as good as the "real deal" in hardware.
I gotta put in a thumbs-up for that plugin, Overloud's VKFX (Vintage Keyboard FX). I got it bundled with Scarbee's "Keyboard Gold Bundle" back before he joined with Native Instruments.

I think it's a really under-appreciated and great-sounding plugin. The "virtual rack" design is very flexible and easy to use (I wish MOTU would do something similar for DP's pedals).

The combination of VKFX + Scarbee's Mark I still sounds quite good to me.

While I play acoustic piano almost exclusively, I like having high-quality Rhodes, Clav, and Wurly libraries, even if just for just messing around. For clav, Scarbee's is OK, but I prefer Sonic Couture's Clav (a "D"). For Wurly, I like Acoustic Samples' Wurlie, which runs in the UVI Workstation.

That said, I couldn't resist ordering Keyscape...
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
BobK

Re: Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Post by BobK »

Heads up:

To create your splits and layers or do any editing beyond the effects and few parameters burned into each patch, you need Omnisphere 2. I missed this at first.

So far, the Rhodes Classic is my favorite, but I've just scratched the surface. It's on par with my long-time favorite, the Scarbee Mk1.
Last edited by BobK on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Spectrasonics Keyscape Announced

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:...for non guitarists, a current model Fender, Vox, or Marshall amp is good enough. For really experienced (and picky) guitar players, nothing but their favorite boutique amp will do.
You can get pretty "boutique" with a vintage Marshall. Granted my old 79 JMP 100-watt is modded, but I'll put it up against some of the big buck boutique amps any day. ;)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!