turn down input on MOTU 24I/O a couple of db via CueMix FX?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

turn down input on MOTU 24I/O a couple of db via CueMix FX?

Post by rosindabow »

I am trying to record my old DAT tapes. I am bringing them in via and analog input. The level that the Panasonic 3800 DAT player spits out is just a tad too hot. If I change the input level via The MOUT PCI Audio Setup application to -10dBV, it is way too quiet. Is there some way to turn the input level down via CueMix FX? I rarely use this program as I find it very confusing. Anyone know if this would work and if so, have a step by step method (for dummies - me) to make it work? Thanks.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
csavetman

Re: turn down input on MOTU 24I/O a couple of db via CueMix

Post by csavetman »

In Cuemix mixer, across the top should be trim knobs for all your inputs. Not in front of my computer now, so I can't remember if it allows you to attenuate the level, or if it's just for adding gain. But that's where I would start. Just scroll to the input in Cuemix where your DAT machine is coming in and adjust.
Hope that helps.
Carlos
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find the tabs along the top of CueMix FX that are picture in the tutorial so I am not sure if I am working with the Inputs, the Mixers, or the Outputs. I have 4 interfaces hooked up so there are 64 channels - it is very hard navigating around. In any case, I did find what seemed to be the channels but the Trim know only added more input level, it did not take any away.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

don't you have an option of analog output level of +4 or -10dBu? Try -10dBu then use cuemix to boost.

why aren't you using the digital outs? I though that unit has AES and coax?
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

I figured out how to lower the output on the Panasonic. However, I still cannot find the tabs on CueMix FX. Have they removed those from the latest version?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tonio wrote:don't you have an option of analog output level of +4 or -10dBu? Try -10dBu then use cuemix to boost.

why aren't you using the digital outs? I though that unit has AES and coax?
I thought the same thing at first, but I believe the poster only has 24 I/O interfaces and those do not have any form of digital I/O.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Hi James - No, I actually own 2 2408 mk3s and 2 24I/Os. I tried the digital transfer and the Panasonic didn't seem to put out a signal that the 2408mk3 understood. The Panasonic puts out an AES signal but only on XLR connectors. It outputs a SPDIF signal only on the light-pipe cable. In any case, the analog signal sounds pretty darn good. Like I said, I found this hidden set of functions that allowed me to turn down the digital output by steps - I could bring it down to -10dB if I need to. All is good. Still wondering though, where are the tabs that used to be available in CueMix FX?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's been my experience on CueMix that it's different for every box I've tried it with. Those include: 2408 mkII, 896, 896mk3, 1296, 192HD.

The features are not accessed in the same way on some of those, with some being byzantine and irrational. The 896mk3 should have been fairly logical, being one of the most recent entries on the list, and yet there are things I simply cannot accomplish on it after a year or so of repeated efforts, returns to the manual, experimentation, and serious attempts at deciphering its workflow and routing. For example, I cannot install a talkback system that actually works. It says it does, but it's very buggy. I can't remember now exactly what it does, but I've got a post or two about it in the forum somewhere.

The device looks great, appears logical, but when you really try to use it productively, that logic seems to go out the window. Surprisingly, the box on the list that best utilizes it (for me, anyway) is the 1296. Being a legacy PCI box, it cannot use all the features, but those that are there are easily accessed, and routing is straightforward. It works.

But I spend more time trying to set up CueMix for the 896mk3 than I spend setting up everything else in a project combined, and usually end up with some half-baked work-around where people have to wait patiently for me to get the talkback speaker turned on after each take. Otherwise, it feeds back through the system when recording, and is impossible to use.

I didn't try to follow the OP's problems, because I've given up on CueMix being something that I can figure out or help others with. Parts of it work fine. Other parts of it are simply maddening. If you're having problems that don't make sense, don't beat yourself up. Chances are pretty high that it's not you.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Hi Shooshie, Thanks so much for the response. This truly is one of these infuriating programs I have tried to use over the years, always with at best, mixed results (pun intended.) I used to use it to monitor my external reverb returns live. It was a complicated setup that I would turn to only when recording live, then have to remember to disable when I back to my normal setup. This was another situation that I thought would be an easy fix ... and it was not. Nice to hear that I'm not alone in my frustration. Anyway, everything is working out okay - transferring happily. Best wishes, one and all. Thanks for the responses.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Glad you got it sorted.

T
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES