DP 9.12 out now.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.12 out now.

Post by bayswater »

The gravy train went skidding off the tracks.

What a great line. Put the double metaphor to shame.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

OldTimey wrote:
amplidood wrote:Still never upgrading to this version until I have the ability to completely disable the Pre-Gen engine, and can be sure I won't get audio dropouts while editing and random audio glitches when BTD or merging soundbites. Don't have time for that crap.
Couldn't agree with you more. There must be a reason (worse bugs?) for not allowing users to disable Pre-Gen entirely, but 9.1 (and 9.12) is half-baked. For now I'll keep using DP for arranging and MIDI of my own projects as it's what I know best and so deep in that department, but for all serious client audio work/mixing I'll be in Pro Tools...
Don't forget guys, to run windows in real time, you not only need to keep the plugin / vi open, this little box needs to be checked...

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

cbergm7210 wrote:
OldTimey wrote:
amplidood wrote:Still never upgrading to this version until I have the ability to completely disable the Pre-Gen engine, and can be sure I won't get audio dropouts while editing and random audio glitches when BTD or merging soundbites. Don't have time for that crap.
Couldn't agree with you more. There must be a reason (worse bugs?) for not allowing users to disable Pre-Gen entirely, but 9.1 (and 9.12) is half-baked. For now I'll keep using DP for arranging and MIDI of my own projects as it's what I know best and so deep in that department, but for all serious client audio work/mixing I'll be in Pro Tools...
Don't forget guys, to run windows in real time, you not only need to keep the plugin / vi open, this little box needs to be checked...

I've seen that, but I don't want to keep all of those windows all the time.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:DP9.1x at least runs. DP6 was a nonsensical crash fest with so many broken things. :smash: Motu's tech support was pretty slow and non-responsive around DP6 too, which made things even more frustrating.
Another YMMV moment. I moved to DP from Cubase just before V5. I had no more issues with V6 than any other version, and got a lot done with it. Tech support was fine, and I got at least a couple of replies from MD himself within 24-48 hours.
Dave has always been awesome, even back then.

It's just not feasible to be shooting off an email to him everytime you had a techlink to unresponded to for weeks.

The great interactions I've had with Dave and DP's general workflow are the reasons I eventually came back when Avid pissed me off enough.
Robert Randolph

amplidood wrote:So to be clear, the issues I had still exist in 9.12, correct?
Yes sir. They do exist still.

They are being actively worked on, but there is no public fix for them.
Robert Randolph

cbergm7210 wrote:
OldTimey wrote:

I was told that effects on Aux tracks always work with pre-gen off as well. So if you want a plug-in to run with pre-gen off, just use it on an aux track.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:Dave has always been awesome, even back then.

It's just not feasible to be shooting off an email to him everytime you had a techlink to unresponded to for weeks.
Yes, awesome always. To be clear, I pretty much never ask him directly -- he just steps in from time to time on tortuous tech links.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
Killahurts wrote:Then, Avid purchased Euphonix. After about one month, I was told essentially to use a real DAW if I wanted my controllers to work.

So I kept my fake DAW and sold the controllers. :koolaid:
I suspect there's a long institutional memory about the MOTU 2408 (?) that essentially blew Digidesign's (now Avid's) artificially inflated price structure and crippleware scheme out of the water. The gravy train went skidding off the tracks when that happened I suspect.... or at least slowed down considerably.
How well I remember that. It was slow to dawn on me, even, that the wizard behind the curtain had been exposed for what he was. After all, I knew people who had spent upward of $50,000 for an installation of about 16 tracks. In 1992, one studio I frequented had spent over $25,000 for FOUR tracks! Didn't it have to be better if it cost so much? But as I assessed what we had in MOTU's gear and software, I began to realize that Digi was all smoke and mirrors. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

The arguments I heard against MOTU and for Digi included such classics as:
• "Digi's installation is professional, and those external processors are installed by professionals!"
• "Dude, you're not REALLY going to suggest that MOTU's samples are as good as Digi's samples, are you?"
• "Digital Performer is a toy for people who want to play like they're recording audio."

And the all time favorite, repeated 10 million times:
• "There's just one thing you need to know: Digidesign is THE industry standard!"
As if there was no other reason necessary.

People are funny.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:
OldTimey wrote: Couldn't agree with you more. There must be a reason (worse bugs?) for not allowing users to disable Pre-Gen entirely, but 9.1 (and 9.12) is half-baked. For now I'll keep using DP for arranging and MIDI of my own projects as it's what I know best and so deep in that department, but for all serious client audio work/mixing I'll be in Pro Tools...

I've seen that, but I don't want to keep all of those windows all the time.
It might be a good time to use the Spaces feature in OS X. You can park all those open windows in another Space if you want.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: It might be a good time to use the Spaces feature in OS X. You can park all those open windows in another Space if you want.
Or simply leave them where you can't see them (not floating) sitting behind the CW or other edit screen.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:
James Steele wrote: It might be a good time to use the Spaces feature in OS X. You can park all those open windows in another Space if you want.
Or simply leave them where you can't see them (not floating) sitting behind the CW or other edit screen.
Doesn't having all these window open all the time eat up CPU?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
bayswater wrote: Or simply leave them where you can't see them (not floating) sitting behind the CW or other edit screen.
Not that I've noticed. No doubt the CPU usage is not zero, but it's easy to find out. In any case processing in real time will use up way more CPU than having a hidden window open.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

bayswater wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:
bayswater wrote: Or simply leave them where you can't see them (not floating) sitting behind the CW or other edit screen.
Not that I've noticed. No doubt the CPU usage is not zero, but it's easy to find out. In any case processing in real time will use up way more CPU than having a hidden window open.
Hey thanks man.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

having to select pre-gen status for every single damn plug-in individually is nonsense. A huge step backwards from the option we had previously. Even then, the previous pre-gen engine didn't have the crazy issues that exist now. Someone seriously screwed the pooch.
Robert Randolph

amplidood wrote:having to select pre-gen status for every single damn plug-in individually is nonsense. A huge step backwards from the option we had previously. Even then, the previous pre-gen engine didn't have the crazy issues that exist now. Someone seriously screwed the pooch.
Well, I understand your frustration here for sure. However I don't think that there's any more pre-gen related issues than before. It appears to be the same culprits as pre-9.1 that are causing issues.

The other problems that you're seeing (with performances, edit glitches etc...) don't appear to be related directly to pre-gen.

Either way, at this point Motu is aware of the issues. Just stick with 9.02 for now if you're having problems. That's what I'm doing for now.