DP 9.12 out now.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.12 out now.

Post by waxman »

amplidood wrote:having to select pre-gen status for every single damn plug-in individually is nonsense. A huge step backwards from the option we had previously. Even then, the previous pre-gen engine didn't have the crazy issues that exist now. Someone seriously screwed the pooch.
Has anyone at MOTU said they would put in a global pre-gen bypass? Both 9.1.2 and 9.02 can live on the same machine if named differently. I have it ready just in case. Thankfully I'm not having issues but if I do I will use both. But 9.12 is completely solid for tracking and I'll never go back to tracking with anything else.

I've only mixed a couple songs since 9.12 was released with no dp issues but they were 30 count audio track songs with BFD3 being the only MIDI. If I was having the issues being identified here on m-nation I would just use both. It's probably because I'm not doing large template projects with lots of MIDI tracks. Seems the large template MIDI tracks are the kiss of death.

I admit I get paranoid from what I'm hearing. Since 9.1 I've started everything from an empty template. I have everything set up on batch command and quick keys. It's not as fast as opening a template but it's not slowing me down.

I am experiencing meters on plugs not being in real time when inserted on the audio track. I've started doing parallel FX with those plugs like Manley mu. I'm with Andrew Scheps on doing lots of parallel compression and FX. In aux channels the meters are fine.

I'll be glad when this version gets a few more revs cause it's kinda walking on eggshells. Most of you guys have gone back to 9.02. I've been dodging the bullet.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Robert Randolph wrote:
The other problems that you're seeing (with performances, edit glitches etc...) don't appear to be related directly to pre-gen.
If they are not related to pre gen, then they are related to 9.1 and above. But logic would assume this glutting IS pre gen.
I cannot loop and edit properly beyond 9.02. Any adjustment to the loop points results in terrible glitching.
And again, IF MOTU insists on pre gen being a “per channel” endeavor, it will be very helpful to just add a pre gen button to the bottom of the plug in window, just like the “MIDI learn” button there now.
Although still a pain, it wouldn’t be that hard to click a button.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm sticking with 9.02 until they fix this.

SOON I hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over the years I've had situations where I have not upgraded OS X or DP for various reasons, and it really was optimal.

It's not just a question of DP or OS X ...it's other stuff interacting with them also, and not being able to always upgrade just seems to be a bad way to work.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Sorry...I meant it really was NOT optimal!

Whoops
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

toodamnhip wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
The other problems that you're seeing (with performances, edit glitches etc...) don't appear to be related directly to pre-gen.
If they are not related to pre gen, then they are related to 9.1 and above. But logic would assume this glutting IS pre gen.
I cannot loop and edit properly beyond 9.02. Any adjustment to the loop points results in terrible glutting.
And again, IF MOTU insists on pre gen being a “per channel” endeavor, it will be very helpful to just add a pre gen button to the bottom of the plug in window, just like the “MIDI learn” button there now.
Although still a pain, it wouldn’t be that hard to click a button.
It's definitely 9.1 related.

However, I've done a bunch of testing and it doesn't appear that pre-gen specifically is causing things like the editing issues.

Also, if someone could go to the issues list (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61937) and make a report about the editing issue, that would be very helpful.

I think I know how to 'fix it' from a user standpoint (thanks to an email from motu), but I'd like to see exactly how someone else is encountering it before I disseminate what may be incorrect information. I can make it not happen on my machine for what I'd expect to work, but I don't know what other people's expectations and workflow are.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Please disseminate any possible incorrect information! I'll try it! ;)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
gman

Post by gman »

I do have info on related bug between dp and slate plugins, this might be solved, at least found the reason why....

From Slate Team:
Are you using a "channel preset" in Digital Performer to load instances of VTM and VMR? If so, this is not supported as channel presets do not take mono or stereo instances into consideration. MOTU Support and Dev Team has confirmed that the bypass issue is no longer an issue in DP 9.12 and latest versions of Slate plugins.

Cheers
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Is there anyone on DP 9.12 who doesn't have audio interruptions when editing while playing the material?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl