Bounce vs Real Time

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bounce vs Real Time

Post by williemyers »

groove wrote:...if what I'm listening is fine, then I know the file is.
Groove, how do you figure that? I mean, isn't listening in real-time like listening to the Input side of a tape machine? You still had to do real-time playback to be sure what was on the tape was good? (and you still have to do a real-time playback to be *sure* that the file is good?)

BTW, I'm in for BTD....when there are a dozen plus stems on a score with a dozen plus cues, bouncing MIDI tracks is a HUGE time saver. IT only kills me that I don't think VEPro5 ever got that sorted out?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

This was a fairly simply mix with a around 10 audio tracks going to one master AUX that in turn was sent via another bus to a STEREO track for real time recording. Typically my song session will have around a dozen AUX busses for stems. A film might have even 30 of them, depending on how many different STEMS I will need in the end.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
groove

Post by groove »

williemyers wrote:
groove wrote:...if what I'm listening is fine, then I know the file is.
Groove, how do you figure that? I mean, isn't listening in real-time like listening to the Input side of a tape machine? You still had to do real-time playback to be sure what was on the tape was good? (and you still have to do a real-time playback to be *sure* that the file is good?)

BTW, I'm in for BTD....when there are a dozen plus stems on a score with a dozen plus cues, bouncing MIDI tracks is a HUGE time saver. IT only kills me that I don't think VEPro5 ever got that sorted out?
groove wrote: Maybe I wasn't clear enough - apologies for my bad english - I should have said that the gain in time of BTD is small so I prefer to do real time. This gives me the opportunity to stop the recording if needs be. I've never said I just "watch" the wavefile for any problem and that I don't listen to the master file. I've used redundancy for lack a better word. Don't worry, I have more than my share of stems listening sessions before delivery to the re-recording house!
Most problems that occurs in a file are input related most of the time: random digital clips, skipped samples playback, etc. Real time recording still allows you to hear them and stop the recording. The other problem that can occurs is a corrputed file on the HD and even that you'll know right after the recording. Other reasons are related to limitations on some VIs and fx: for instance, Kontakt instruments with built-in delays fx sometime create artifacts on tempo changes in BTD. As I said, I never said I don't do real-time playback but I'm pretty confident that what I ear in real-time recording will be fine, hense what I wrote.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Tritonemusic wrote:...(didn't notice which version you're using)
So sorry...I must have read your signature three times and just now noticed you're using DP 9.01.
:oops:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Real-time mixdown for me. Haven't done a BTD since 2002.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

williemyers wrote: BTW, I'm in for BTD....when there are a dozen plus stems on a score with a dozen plus cues, bouncing MIDI tracks is a HUGE time saver. IT only kills me that I don't think VEPro5 ever got that sorted out?
Wow...

This goes under:

1. I guess you CAN teach an old dog "new" tricks.

2. I should read the manual more often.

For years (and years), I have been freezing the MIDI VI tracks which is a real time procedure. On average about 3 1/2 minutes per track. Very time consuming.

Watching paint dry. :)

First thing this morning, I opened a project and tried the BTD on a couple of MIDI VI tracks. Takes about a 10th of the time!

Only thing I miss is the VU meter display to make sure that I'm not red-lining.

So glad I saw this thread.

(And, yes, I do real time mixes, too, unless it's just a quick run-off for a client.)

Merci...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Actually your meters should still run but super fast.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When I first upgraded to an SSD, I was puzzled that BTD wasn't working. Well, it was but so fast I couldn't see the process.

I'm ok with that. :headbang:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

David Polich wrote:Real-time mixdown for me. Haven't done a BTD since 2002.
Any particular reasons David?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Actually your meters should still run but super fast.
I think I checked that, but I'll look again. I did see the Master Bus metering active.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

williemyers

Post by williemyers »

buzzsmith wrote:
williemyers wrote: BTW, I'm in for BTD....when there are a dozen plus stems on a score with a dozen plus cues, bouncing MIDI tracks is a HUGE time saver. IT only kills me that I don't think VEPro5 ever got that sorted out?
Wow...

Merci...

Buzzy
not at all! took me a few *years* to spot this - instant addiction!
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Actually your meters should still run but super fast.
correct (as usual!), MLC

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

williemyers wrote:correct (as usual!), MLC
:rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

Did you zoom in and make sure they're aligned at the sample level?

Occasionally PT will bounce things just fine, but the file will be stamped 1 (or a few) samples off. I haven't seen that in DP, but what you're describing sounds like 2 files that are a sample off, you will only hear very high frequency content then as the lower stuff is still in phase enough to cancel out.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Been 100% realtime here for maybe a decade. I forget what the problem was with BTD. But I do recall we moved to realtime due to some kind of scary inconsistencies.

I would certainly try BTD again for stems if all is well with all plugs and VEP.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.