Gain Follower

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Gain Follower

Post by Prime Mover »

For a while now, I've been wanting some kind of dynamic side-chain effect where I can use one track's gain to proportionally control the gain of another track. For instance, I often want to have a track of sculpted Brownian noise follow the level of a an ambient field recording like waves or rain. I've tried expanders, but I can never get the settings right, they always end up being exponential.

The current project I'm working on has some field-recorded rain. I had to low-pass the original recording because there was some traffic in the background that was creating low-end engine rumble. But the low end of a rainstorm is basically brown noise, so I've had some success just throwing in a track of brownian, and EQing it bit. But in this case, my rain track is pretty dynamic, and I'd like the brownian noise to follow that track's relative volume. It'd be nice to gate with silence, peak at 0dB, and everything in between.

Any expander settings or effects that ring a bell?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
buzzsmith

Re: Gain Follower

Post by buzzsmith »

Strictly top of my head...I wonder if the Waves Vocal Rider might be of some value?

Obviously designed for vocal levels in relation to a mix, but maybe?...

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Another option (if you happen to have one lying around) is a Lexicon MPX1-- which also generates a control stream based on input level.

I recently sold my MPX1 (wasn't using it), and am now doing a little bit of self-kicking. Though the UI was not very intuitive, it was a feature-packed monster box.

I have also used a vocoder for a similar effect. I remember inputing a gusty, haunting wind sound in one input and some indigenous flute & drum music on another and the result was captivating.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Waves has a couple of "rider" plugins that I use. They're very successful. I like them.

As for side chaining, you may have to do that another way, using the output from something like Vocal Rider as your sidechain input.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

i've been getting good results with "Trackspacer" by Wavesfactory. good for subtle stuff, opening up a mix a little for vox, etc., but can also get some interesting effects if you push it. might be able to do what you're looking for.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)