Place wiper at END of selection command?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Place wiper at END of selection command?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.
I looked for a command to quickly put the wiper at the end of a selection, but I don't see anything in the commands window.

Can anyone share how you accomplish this?

When I want to put the wiper at the beginning of a selection, I press Control-Space, and that puts it there, but it plays the selection. Anyone knows how to do this without the music playing, just positioning it at the beginning or end?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Place wiper at END of selection command?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Wild guess... add the shift key to the key sequence?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I was never able to to this either but there are a few ways to do it with two commands. I ended up with the 2 key commands set to adjacent F keys so I could hit them in quick succession.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

CMD-6

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh duh... it plays... sorry.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:Hello.
I looked for a command to quickly put the wiper at the end of a selection, but I don't see anything in the commands window.

Can anyone share how you accomplish this?

When I want to put the wiper at the beginning of a selection, I press Control-Space, and that puts it there, but it plays the selection. Anyone knows how to do this without the music playing, just positioning it at the beginning or end?

Thanks!
If you give me a little more context, I might be able to suggest something to help. Specifically, what are you doing when you need to do this? What operations are you performing? Or are you just going through a section, changing some controllers or velocities, then moving on to the next section to play that? Are you doing Take Comping, and wanting to move to the next section?

You can use COMMAND 6 which will PLAY from the end of the selection.

Basically, there are some commands that can get you there without playing, but they will change the Memory as well as the Selection. Maybe someone else has one or two that won't do that. Since you'll want to set these up as dual commands, I'll just tell you the commands to search for, and you can set them to whatever works for you in all the windows.

First: Move Selection to Next Event
2nd: Go to Memory Start

Notice, you've changed both Selection and Memory in doing that. I like to preserve both, so I use the old fashioned way: just type it in.

Remember in the old days at the supermarket, the cashier had a cash register with numbers all over it. I'd watch the lady checking us out, and her hand would fly over that machine with unimaginable speed. I couldn't even follow it. Most of us musicians have developed similar skills on our instruments, especially those like the piano or violin. So, it's really nothing to hit the keypad DOT, followed by a bar number, followed by the Enter key. You can do it in no more time than it takes to hit a special key for moving the cursor, and the great thing is that you don't have to remember keys for various places to move it. You only need to know the bar number. When I'm working on music in DP, I tend to have all the important bars memorized anyway, from which I can extrapolate the location of an event close to one of those important bars. I usually get within a beat or two, if not the exact note. of course, you can always read it in the timeline, then go there. But I may sacrifice perfect exactitude for expedience. If I need for it to be perfect, say to use in setting the next memory start or selection start, I'll just read the exact location and type it in. The point is that we can type it in as fast as those checkers at the old grocery store cash registers, before everything had barcodes.

I know a lot of shortcuts, and I use them when I think they'll help. If I'm doing something repetitive, there's nothing like keyboard shortcuts to speed up the task. But for random moves, entering selection ranges, memory ranges, and so forth, you'd probably be surprised how often I choose the low-tech route. That's not to say that I don't use my super-fast workflows that I've developed. I do. It's just that sometimes there's no real speed gain in moving your hands to another place on the keyboard, as opposed to clicking near your current location or typing in numbers on the keypad.

Last of all, you asked for a way to move your cursor to the selection start without playing: that would be
SET MEMORY TO SELECTION, followed by
GO TO MEMORY START.

I set these up with the following key commands, respectively:
CONTROL-OPTION-X
CONTROL-OPTION-C

Incidentally, to go the other way and set Selection to Memory, I set up:
CONTROL-OPTION-COMMAND-X
Just add the command key to the other one, and it reverses the direction and puts your current memory boundaries into the selection locations.

All those kinds of controls are only useful if you can remember them, so I try to set them around each other to a thematic core set of command modifiers and/or keys. I remember finger patterns better than actual letters and symbols, so I'm thinking more in terms of bunches of fingers, followed by keys in a range for a range of commands. I change them when I find myself wanting a particular command closer to another command.

Hope that made sense.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, DP seems a little short on "Go to" commands. Maybe if MOTU would add a command line for "go to beginning/end of selection" it would help us out a little. I think we can make commands for setting all the range start and stop points, and interchange them with the others of the big 3 type of ranges:
Memory
Auto-Record
Selection
(these three form the mnemonic "MAS.")

But I'd have to look at the Commands Window to be sure that they are actually all there. But I do believe we are ready for an increase in available commands to customize to our preferences. Maybe we need a thread on that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Three keystrokes but it works.
(use keypad)
command-6

pause
play from end of selection
stop

If you pause the transport, command 6 moves the wiper but pause stays in effect.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Phil O wrote:Three keystrokes but it works.
(use keypad)
command-6

pause
stop

If you pause the transport, command 6 moves the wiper but pause stays in effect.
Excellent solution for me, Phil! Thanks!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

(use keypad)
command-6

pause
stop

Sounds like a winner to me!
:woohoo:

Shooshie
reedster

Post by reedster »

Nice one! Thanks for the tip.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You are welcome. But, I'm wondering if it helps the OP.

FM?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Phil O wrote:You are welcome. But, I'm wondering if it helps the OP.

FM?

With a key macro liked Quickeys or keyboard maestro you could do it in my me very easily. Very elegant solution. :) "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." ~ Da Vinci? Michaelangelo? Bach?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:~ Da Vinci? Michaelangelo? Bach?
Fred Flintstone