BFD3 Groove Editor vs DP Drum Editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mal201
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BFD3 Groove Editor vs DP Drum Editor

Post by mal201 »

So I just got a copy of BFD3 and I torn between using their groove editor and the DP drum editor. My initial plan was to build the beats in BFD3 then drag the blocks into a MIDI track in DP and arrange them from there but I can't appear to be able to drag the MIDI tracks from BFD to DP. I've got it running as a plug in if that help.

Does anybody have tips/tricks to using BFD in their work flow.

As always any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Matt
Phil O

Re: BFD3 Groove Editor vs DP Drum Editor

Post by Phil O »

I'm not familiar with BFD. DP's drum editor actually edits a MIDI track. Does BFD not use a MIDI track? If it does you should be able to edit that track directly with Drum Editor, if it doesn't, I'm at a loss.

Or perhaps can you export MIDI data from BFD? Just thinking out loud.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mal201

Post by mal201 »

BFD can use a MIDI track or it can use its internal groove editor. The groove editor has got some really nice advantages like no need to map the notes to the different drums. Since it's all internal it just names everything properly. Also it lets you paint in lots of rudiments. Makes it really easy to paint realistic rolls and diddles and the like.

The downside is the interface is a bit wonky. There no keyboard commands for things like undo.

You can build a whole song i the editor and it will sync with your sequence which is nice, but if you decide to rearrange anything in your sequence you have to it both in the tracks window and in BFD so that can be annoying.

I guess I'm just trying to see how people deal with the pro/cons to get the best of both worlds with DP and BFD.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mal201

Post by mal201 »

Yeah I looked at that page but it didn't seem like the ability to drag the grove into DP was working. did that work for you?
waxman

Post by waxman »

Put together the grooves and arrangement you want. From the browse list palette drag the entire group or singles into a desktop folder. Then drag them to a desktop folder then into the tracks window. I like to have them in a desktop folder in case I edit and want the original again. I so all editing in the sequence window. If we put the MIDI in using edrum I cut live hi hat. If we drag in beat we still go back and cut hi hat so that alone is why I use the S.E. LOVE BFD3 and use it every day.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.