Cubase feature "play from last start" DP equivalent?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cubase feature "play from last start" DP equivalent?

Post by LGK_Dude »

I'm looking for an equivalent to a Cubase key command called "play from last start position." This allows me with a key command, to playback from the same start position, which is helpful when you heard something off and quickly want to play it back again. So for example I can use the "." to enter a playback point by bar number (say bar 25) and I let it play to bar 30 and hit spacebar to stop. I can then hit option-> spacebar to playback from bar 25 again, or hit regular spacebar to continue playback at bar 30.

I've come close to this functionality in DP, but its not quite right. DP has the "auto rewind" function, which is great, but I always forget to set the memory start point (F1) before playback, so it always jumps to some random memory start point when I'm done playing. I thought adding the "link selection to memory" would help, which it does when I want to playback from a specific region start, but sometimes I want to playback a bar before the selected region, so I use the "." type in the starting bar and hit play, but then it jumps back to the region start and not the bar number I entered.

Is there a way to associate the bar number I enter using the "." key command with the memory start location? So for example if I hit "." -> 25 and play, that when I stop auto rewind will jump back to bar 25? Again the closest I've found to this functionality is hitting "." -> 25 and then F1 for memory start, but in the heat of working I always forget to do this, as I do not always wish to return to to my previous start point, which is what makes that cubase key command great is its only there when you need it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cubase feature "play from last start" DP equivalent?

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Markers can be set for sections you want to repeat - click on the marker in the markers menu and it will move the start to there - or you can set the loop points again to the section you want to repeat.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Cubase feature "play from last start" DP equivalent?

Post by kdm »

Search the Commands for "Set Memory Start to Counter" or just "memory". I assigned F1 to this (since DP isn't locked to having F1 calling up "help") and use it to set my playback-return point.

Use Memory cycle, repeat, link to selection, etc to develop whatever workflow you want for return, cycle playback, etc. Great features. Once you develop a workflow with even a couple of these commands, you will probalby miss them when using Cubase.