DP, Dual monitors, and selecting MIDI advice

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP, Dual monitors, and selecting MIDI advice

Post by LGK_Dude »

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a nice working environment and would love some advice. DP is not my first DAW, so I dont know if what I want to do is even possible, so I'll post what I want and hopefully some kind soul can guide me?

I have two monitors. On my main monitor I have it setup to show me the tracks view and sequence view in a single snapped window, and whenever I double click on an audio track in the tracks view, my sequence view jumps right to this track. AWESOME!

I'd like to do a similar thing with MIDI, and have my MIDI editor full screen on my 2nd monitor, and have it so whenever I select a MIDI track it will update my MIDI editor on this full screen to show only these tracks in the MIDI editor. For example, if I select my Violin 1 track in the tracks view, the MIDI editor will update to show only the violin MIDI data. If I select both Violin 1 and violin 2, it will update to show both.

Is this possible? Right now I have the track selector open in my MIDI editor window and I'm manually selecting the ones I want to see, which becomes a bit tedious. I'd love it if it could function just like the tracks and sequence windows with audio, where if I double click on a MIDI track (or region) it will automatically update the MIDI editor window I have open on my 2nd monitor to show the highlighted track(s). Currently if I double click MIDI regions this produces a new separate window.

Thanks for any advice you can provide, and hopefully I did an ok job explaining what I'm looking to achieve.

edit: I guess basically what I'm looking for is the functionality of Consolidated windows but across two monitors.
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP, Dual monitors, and selecting MIDI advice

Post by LGK_Dude »

Figured it out - If I stet the Preferences -> MIDI Editing -> Open one MIDI Editor for each sequence with all MIDI tracks, and I undock the MIDI editor for the consolidated window and put it on my 2nd monitor, it now makes it so whatever I double click on MIDI wise shows up in the MIDI editor on my 2nd monitor! AWESOME!!
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo