Panasonic 3800 DAT into DP via 2408mk3

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Panasonic 3800 DAT into DP via 2408mk3

Post by rosindabow »

I would like to transfer my old DAT tapes into a digital format. I was thinking of using the IEC type 2 optical out from the 3800 into the 2408mk3 ADAT in - will that work? Does the 2408mk3 accept the 2track version of lightpipe? If this won't work, I'll just go analog. Thanks.
Last edited by rosindabow on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
Kurt Cowling

Re: Panaonic 3800 DAT into DP via 2408mk3

Post by Kurt Cowling »

If I remember right Bank C can be changed to S/DIF but I don't recall if that only worked with the RCA S/DIF input or if the optical worked too. Otherwise you can connect from the XLR digital out on the 3800 to the RCA S/DIF with an adaptor cable. You can but these online. They have some resistors inside the cable to deal with impedance mismatch between the two formats. Heck, you could even try it without the special cable. I did it many years ago from an Emulator E4 to a 2408.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Kurt Cowling

Re: Panaonic 3800 DAT into DP via 2408mk3

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Just to clarify... The XLR digital out on the 3800 is AES/EBU and the input on the 2408 is S/DIF but pretty much the only difference between the two are the connectors, the voltage levels and the impedance.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.