Metering Recommendations?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Metering Recommendations?

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:They just sent me an offer to upgrade to Ozone 7 (advanced) from Ozone 6 (not advanced) for $200. Does that sound like a good deal?
Version upgrades (6A to 7A) are normally $249 when first released, $299 later so, yea. Unless you take advantage of the $499 bundle offer.

In Ozone Advanced, besides the inclusion of Insight, each of the tools is broken out into separate modules with more control over each. You also get the consolidated version of Ozone 7 included.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

This morning, I watched an excellent Groove3 video on Insight. For those who have an all-access pass to Groove3, it's worth a watch.

Insight is a very advanced suite of measurement tools and can even generate output documentation for those who need to provide proof that a track conforms to A/85 or R128 broadcast loudness standards. The consolidated window approach is also very nice. At $100, I'm tempted, though it's more than I need.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I wish someone would do a REALLY SIMPLE bar-graph meter plugin.

I acknowledge the need for loudness analyzers with inter-sample peaks and all sorts of bells and whistles and multi-colors of gradient, but I'd just like a simple meter that is one color until you hit an over and then it hits red!

Something that you wouldn't really notice except out of the corner of your eye when you are printing mixes.

The DP meters are great, but you can't really just pick the master track to meter.

I looked for awhile online once for an AU or VST meter like this, but everything is way to fancy for that.

Maybe MOTU will do a really simple meter plugin someday?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
labman

Post by labman »

Phil O wrote:In today's world we "get to know" people in non-traditional ways - TV, books, newspaper, internet to name a few, and each of those has it's own filter.
Phil
I like your filter description. Very true. I wish we could get back to traditional meet face to face, work in same room, handshakes, hang out in 'real world' but alas. As you wisely said the filters are here and I guess us old folks aint gonna change it.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

JSmith1234567 wrote:The DP meters are great, but you can't really just pick the master track to meter.
They should add the track selector to Meter Bridge. That would be cool.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I wish someone would do a REALLY SIMPLE bar-graph meter plugin.
The DP meters are great, but you can't really just pick the master track to meter.

I looked for awhile online once for an AU or VST meter like this, but everything is way to fancy for that.

Check out PSP Triple Meter (http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/too ... iplemeter/) and/or Brainworx bx_meter (http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_meter). Both are relatively inexpensive* and simple to use out of the box, though you can go a bit deeper, if you like. Just insert on your master fader channel and off you go.

*PSP TripleMeter is $29. bx_meter lists at $99, but I swear I got it for $20 someplace—I'll update this post if I find it. Another option is the free TT Dynamic Range meter (go to http://productionadvice.co.uk/how-to-av ... -your-mix/), but it is not available in 64-bit for Mac.

Phil O wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:The DP meters are great, but you can't really just pick the master track to meter.
+1 on that!
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

A trip down memory lane…

A Short History of the VU Meter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ZziKGMoj8
Rick Cornish

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:
I agree. In the meantime, I have a window set with the Meter Bridge off to the right, narrowed and scrolled so only the Main outs are showing, with the left side covered up by the CW.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
sayatnova

Post by sayatnova »

Been following this thread, and wondered about Folks' view of the Blue Cat metering plugs? I seem to remember people liking them before, and was curious why they have not come up here in this thread, really?

I hope everyone is well,

~Shea
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Rick Cornish wrote:
JSmith1234567 wrote:I wish someone would do a REALLY SIMPLE bar-graph meter plugin.

Check out PSP Triple Meter (http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/too ... iplemeter/) and/or Brainworx bx_meter (http://www.brainworx-music.de/en/plugins/bx_meter). Both are relatively inexpensive* and simple to use out of the box, though you can go a bit deeper, if you like. Just insert on your master fader channel and off you go.

*PSP TripleMeter is $29. bx_meter lists at $99, but I swear I got it for $20 someplace—I'll update this post if I find it. Another option is the free TT Dynamic Range meter (go to http://productionadvice.co.uk/how-to-av ... -your-mix/), but it is not available in 64-bit for Mac.

Phil O wrote:
+1 on that!
HEY THANKS !!!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:
Phil O wrote:They just sent me an offer to upgrade to Ozone 7 (advanced) from Ozone 6 (not advanced) for $200. Does that sound like a good deal?
Version upgrades (6A to 7A) are normally $249 when first released, $299 later so, yea. Unless you take advantage of the $499 bundle offer.

In Ozone Advanced, besides the inclusion of Insight, each of the tools is broken out into separate modules with more control over each. You also get the consolidated version of Ozone 7 included.
If you already have Ozone Standard, you can get the entire Music Production Bundle for $299. If you already plunked down the $200, $99 gets you the rest.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... icing.html

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... undle.html

Get Ozone 7 Advanced, Alloy 2, Nectar 2 Production Suite, Insight and Trash 2 at a low price with the Music Production Bundle + 60-day free access to Groove3 tutorials for a limited time!

Sweetwater has the same choices.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search. ... ion+bundle
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Saw your post in the other thread. I also have RX, so I'll look into that "own 2" deal.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Insight is a really helpful tool. Comprehensive. It's the one I use when I bother.

Or just watch this youtube at 44:25 for 30 seconds and this thread is obsolete... hahaha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLnHlWp ... sicAcademy
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
stratology

Post by stratology »

Phil O wrote: I like MLoudnessAnalyzer from Melda, but I really think the metering you have should do the job jus fine.

I compared a few metering plug-ins in the last couple of days, and the free MLoudnessAnalyzer turned out to be my favourite. It respects current standards (LUFS), and is highly configurable. You can see momentary loudness, intersample peaks, and the dynamic range of the full track. Great.