Correct bit rate for mastering project?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Correct bit rate for mastering project?

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

"DP would only convert the 24 bit files down to 16 bits IFF that is set in the preferences with autoconversions on AND if DP is set to 16 bits.
If you leave it off, it won't do it."

Hey: FMiguelez:

I should have mentioned that I do my mastering on an old Mac using DP 7.24. I can't find a preference for auto conversions in that version. However, I notice that in the soundbite window, it says that the bit depth of the imported soundbite is 24 bits, which sounds re-assuring. However, it also says the source of the soundbite is "convert format", which worries me that it may have converted the bit depth.

But maybe the conversion it did during importing is changing from Sound Designer II interleaved to de-interleaved format. It DOES say the file format is still 24 bit. Then, after I mastered, dithered, and recorded the new file, it is 16 bit.

Doug
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

That option has been present for quite some time. I don't have 7.24 at my fingertips, but in 9 it's at preferences>editing>automatic conversions. It might be in different location, but I'm pretty sure it's there in 7.24.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Phil O wrote:I don't have 7.24 at my fingertips, but in 9 it's at preferences>editing>automatic conversions. It might be in different location, but I'm pretty sure it's there in 7.24.
It's the same in DP 7.24, Phil.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for confirming that, Tritone.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.