He did it again Slate

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: He did it again Slate

Post by waxman »

labman wrote:Thank you Buzzy. I dont know how I can get the right mic technique of I can't hear the color. Hmmmm.
You could get it right and turn off the insert when recording. I use the UAD software mixer to make it sound like I want but I don't send it to the recorder. The Motu Cuemix software does the same thing kinda...

UAD Neve pre sounds close to the Slate. The concept is to be able to pick the best mic post recording. It's definitely a paradigm shift for vocal. But I don't think twice of using DI on Guitar and bass. Just gotta get used to doing it with a vocal.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

waxman wrote:
labman wrote:Thank you Buzzy. I dont know how I can get the right mic technique of I can't hear the color. Hmmmm.
You could get it right and turn off the insert when recording. I use the UAD software mixer to make it sound like I want but I don't send it to the recorder. The Motu Cuemix software does the same thing kinda...
Thanks Wax. What do you mean 'turn off insert.?" I normally cut from preamps to HD192 and monitor 100% via Cuemix for all the live stuff.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
waxman

Post by waxman »

option bypass the insert... on the UAD mixer there is a choice to just monitor the insert or send it to record... it's very helpful. I am pretty sure Cuemix and most of the other I/O software mixers have that option...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

He did it again Slate

Post by James Steele »

-
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James Steele wrote:-
Thanks, James.

I think you deleted a post that wasn't at all helpful and certainly did not contribute to this thread.

Appreciate it!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I did. I WILL NOT allow people to try and sneak political statements under the radar. There's Facebook for that. Won't happen here.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Hi Buzzy,

I think that may have been my post.

I apologize if it offended you or James.

I didn't mean to offer politics and I didn't intend to be sneaky.

Now it looks like my avatar is gone and I am snubbed.

I offered that Slate is a great salesman...

I also mentioned that the hardware in the Slate VMS is very low cost stuff.
Source that mic and pre.......
Cheap stuff for a high price and that bugs me,
Maybe the software makes it O.K. but I'm standing up for musicians who are buying in to this paradigm.

I've been here for years and always want to contribute useful info.

Thanks
All is well
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Well I don't know if Slate got it right or not. Antares tried the mic modeling thing and it was pretty much a disaster. I don't know if a mic can be effectively simulated. There are aspects of how a mic reacts with a room that I can't imagine being modeled after the fact. The software can't predict what's going on in the room (reflections, peanut butter on the music stand, whatever), and all the subtle things that make a mic sound the way it does depend on THAT mic being in THAT room. It's part of why mic placement is so important (sometimes more important than mic selection IMO). So my suspicion is that you just can't model a microphone. If Slate has done it, and done it well, there's got to be some heavyweight analysis going on, and I don't think all that analysis can be done in real time without some major latency. Bottom line - I haven't heard this thing, but I'm not even interested in trying it. Sorry guys, but I don't share your enthusiasm on this one. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

waterstrum wrote:Now it looks like my avatar is gone...
Mine just disappeared too. I haven't had time to check it out, but don't get paranoid just yet. It looks like there's some sort of glitch.

Phil

[edit] I'm using Photbucket for mine and I just checked their website which is down at the moment. So if you're using Photobucket, there's the problem.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waterstrum wrote: Now it looks like my avatar is gone and I am snubbed.
I have nothing to do with that and don't know why it is not showing.

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Did you guys use an offsite link to tinypic perhaps?

edit: tinypic is back up and the avatars have re-appeared... I think maybe that was it, or a common CDN.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
waxman

Post by waxman »

waterstrum wrote: ... Slate VMS is very low cost stuff...?
Cheap stuff for a high price that bugs me... ?
Thanks
Really?
Do you have a VMS? Have you used one?

I find it amusing the comments about Slate Digital products.
waxman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waterstrum wrote:Now it looks like my avatar is gone and I am snubbed.

I offered that Slate is a great salesman...
Okay... again, nobody messed with your avatar. That was a particularly paranoid accusation. Secondly... no, words are not banned here, but I'm not allowing mentioning current presidential candidates here. Period. You say you've been here for years and yet you're unaware of the two most sacred rules here? No politics. No religion.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

This is just a quick hit-and-run as work has been too busy lately for me to follow the forum, so I apologize if someone has already posted this, but I didn't see it during a quick search:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/sla ... one-system

I have printed it out to read on the commuter train tonight. It's quite a surprise that this article does NOT require an e-sub to read. I did try to do an e-sub a few times but the website didn't let me subscribe from Firefox.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

"Cheap" does not necessarily mean "junk".
I'm with Waxman..dont knock something u
haven't heard.

The Antares Mic Modeler was just a set of
notch filters. It wasn't even modeling..and it
was released over a decade ago. Slate's VMS
goes where no modeling has gone before.

I've met Steven Slate. Great guy, passionate
about his products, and above all he strives to
make his products affordable. Some would
say they are cheap and too good to be true.
I say try them first.

Steven also does his best to make his products
work with DP. Not every vendor bothers to take
care of us DP users.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com