Quick scribe how to change notes to autoduration atomaticly?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rockman413 »

in Quickscribe we can select the notes and change them into automatic duration , which gives us simpler view of notes, but I have to do this everytime manually .. How to automatically view them with automatic duration or change them into automatic duration ?
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
stubbsonic

Re: Quick scribe how to change notes to autoduration atomati

Post by stubbsonic »

Sometimes when I'm working with a MIDI track, I will make a copy of that track. The original will be for playback only, and the copy will be for notation only. With the notation-only track, I can quantize it. When I do, I carefully select the grid value so that the intended rhythms are maintained. Sometimes that requires quantizing in sections. I also select both attacks and releases (note ons and note-offs)-- and look over the track in the graphic editor and get rid of overlapping notes that I don't want to overlap in notation.

After that, the notation looks pretty good. I go through with the note-spelling tool and correct notes that are spelled wrong (G#s that should be Ab, for example).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

stubbsonic wrote:Sometimes when I'm working with a MIDI track, I will make a copy of that track. The original will be for playback only, and the copy will be for notation only. With the notation-only track, I can quantize it. When I do, I carefully select the grid value so that the intended rhythms are maintained. Sometimes that requires quantizing in sections. I also select both attacks and releases (note ons and note-offs)-- and look over the track in the graphic editor and get rid of overlapping notes that I don't want to overlap in notation.

After that, the notation looks pretty good. I go through with the note-spelling tool and correct notes that are spelled wrong (G#s that should be Ab, for example).
Thank you but I really don't prefer to do it this way, as I'm always changing the notes... So waiting for the answer of my original question.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Your original question doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what feature you are talking about.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm not sure what you exactly want to do, either, but I'll throw out (with the Quickscribe window on top) "Select All" and "Smart Quantize".

Close, but no cigar? :)

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

buzzsmith wrote:I'm not sure what you exactly want to do, either, but I'll throw out (with the Quickscribe window on top) "Select All" and "Smart Quantize".

Close, but no cigar? :)

Buzzy

When you write to bar 10, then you do this , great

when you write to bar 20, you'll have to do this again

when you write something new, you'll have to do this again

since I'm always looking at the quick scribe editor so I wonder if I don't have to do this again and again when I write something new...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, here's the problem as I see it. No sequencer and engraving app ever quite agree on notation/duration/location, so if you're particular about that kind of stuff, you really kind of need separate sequences for them. One for performance and feel, the other for notation. You have 3 choices that I think are easy choices, and one that's hard, plus another non-choice when chance makes it possible. Here are the easy choices:

First, the non-choice: if your sequencer and notation app agree, then you can use the same sequence for everything. If the Sequence/MIDI windows agree with QuickScribe, then you've got nothing to worry about. Next topic...

But most of the time, they only agree on the big stuff. When it comes to swinging 8ths, or rubato 16ths, you often have a problem. Here are the options, as I know them:
  • 1) Create two chunks for the same sequence, one for notation and one for performance. When you make changes, copy those bars in the Tracks Window and immediately go to the other chunk and paste them into that Tracks Window. Then do whatever it takes to make them accurately notated.
  • 2) Create two files, likewise split between notation and performance. When you finish with a day's changes, you copy the entire Tracks Window (or sections where you may have worked) and go to the other file, paste it in, then edit it for notation.
  • 3) Create two sets of tracks in the same chunk. Have QuickScribe display only the 2nd set. Edit the second set of tracks for notation. When you make changes, just option-drag those bars within the Tracks Window to the other set of tracks. For some people this may be more expedient than having two chunks. You can keep your sets of tracks in separate folders, with the notation tracks collapsed when not using them.
Then there's the hard way. In theory you could conceivably convert your sequence to notation and back when you wish. This would be where "auto-duration" probably comes in handy, but I don't know how much trouble that would be. Full disclosure: I don't use Quickscribe for notation, and haven't for many years except for special occasions when I just need something quick and dirty. It's not how I make scores. When it's necessary to export a cleaned-up notation sequence, I use the double-chunk method, myself, and I generally don't make a score until I'm finished with note input and editing. Not that you should do as I do; I'm just explaining my rationale.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

Shooshie wrote:Well, here's the problem as I see it. No sequencer and engraving app ever quite agree on notation/duration/location, so if you're particular about that kind of stuff, you really kind of need separate sequences for them. One for performance and feel, the other for notation. You have 3 choices that I think are easy choices, and one that's hard, plus another non-choice when chance makes it possible. Here are the easy choices:

First, the non-choice: if your sequencer and notation app agree, then you can use the same sequence for everything. If the Sequence/MIDI windows agree with QuickScribe, then you've got nothing to worry about. Next topic...

But most of the time, they only agree on the big stuff. When it comes to swinging 8ths, or rubato 16ths, you often have a problem. Here are the options, as I know them:
  • 1) Create two chunks for the same sequence, one for notation and one for performance. When you make changes, copy those bars in the Tracks Window and immediately go to the other chunk and paste them into that Tracks Window. Then do whatever it takes to make them accurately notated.
  • 2) Create two files, likewise split between notation and performance. When you finish with a day's changes, you copy the entire Tracks Window (or sections where you may have worked) and go to the other file, paste it in, then edit it for notation.
  • 3) Create two sets of tracks in the same chunk. Have QuickScribe display only the 2nd set. Edit the second set of tracks for notation. When you make changes, just option-drag those bars within the Tracks Window to the other set of tracks. For some people this may be more expedient than having two chunks. You can keep your sets of tracks in separate folders, with the notation tracks collapsed when not using them.
Then there's the hard way. In theory you could conceivably convert your sequence to notation and back when you wish. This would be where "auto-duration" probably comes in handy, but I don't know how much trouble that would be. Full disclosure: I don't use Quickscribe for notation, and haven't for many years except for special occasions when I just need something quick and dirty. It's not how I make scores. When it's necessary to export a cleaned-up notation sequence, I use the double-chunk method, myself, and I generally don't make a score until I'm finished with note input and editing. Not that you should do as I do; I'm just explaining my rationale.

Shooshie
:dance: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you don't care if your sequence is quantized hard, all the time, then you could turn on INPUT QUANTIZE.

Studio Menu/Input Quantize:
[x] enable input quantize
[x] attacks [x] releases
(then set the grid value and other options as desired).

This is your "auto duration". Again, you can use this if you don't mind your sequence sounding hard quantized. Alternatively, you could input-quantize the releases only which will only which will make the durations look different to the quickscribe engine. Note that this function WILL destructively (permanently, non-reversably) change your performance as it goes in. This is the closest thing to auto-duration I can think of.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

frankf

Post by frankf »

I'm going to bring up grouping again today. I use Shooshie's #3 method and add all the hard quantized tracks to a group called "notation". Using the "show/hide" option for the group will let me see only the notation set in QS with 1 click. I use the Consolidated Window and keep the Groups window in a sidebar where I can easily enable/disable groups. I use one of the several group key Commands to add/delete tracks to a group easily. Grouping is a great DP feature and I use it a lot with QS. Show only strings or horns or vocals or vocal with piano, etc, etc.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

frankf wrote:I'm going to bring up grouping again today. I use Shooshie's #3 method and add all the hard quantized tracks to a group called "notation". Using the "show/hide" option for the group will let me see only the notation set in QS with 1 click. I use the Consolidated Window and keep the Groups window in a sidebar where I can easily enable/disable groups. I use one of the several group key Commands to add/delete tracks to a group easily. Grouping is a great DP feature and I use it a lot with QS. Show only strings or horns or vocals or vocal with piano, etc, etc.
How about if I'm seeing the QS all the time while I'm writing? In that #3 method , I'll have to keep on duplicating the tracks for notation all the time when I write something new.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

rockman413 wrote:
frankf wrote:I'm going to bring up grouping again today. I use Shooshie's #3 method and add all the hard quantized tracks to a group called "notation". Using the "show/hide" option for the group will let me see only the notation set in QS with 1 click. I use the Consolidated Window and keep the Groups window in a sidebar where I can easily enable/disable groups. I use one of the several group key Commands to add/delete tracks to a group easily. Grouping is a great DP feature and I use it a lot with QS. Show only strings or horns or vocals or vocal with piano, etc, etc.
How about if I'm seeing the QS all the time while I'm writing? In that #3 method , I'll have to keep on duplicating the tracks for notation all the time when I write something new.
Currently, I don't think you can escape that. You either have to maintain 2 sets of tracks, or you have to convert tracks to auto-duration. QuickScribe does a pretty good job at transcription without having to do anything, but if your performance gets a little off-beat, that won't work. There's just no perfect way to do this that I know of. I haven't checked other DAWs for breakthroughs in that department, but I think it would be pretty big news. A transcription engine that can catch all the subtleties would have to read your mind or be amazingly musical.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Shooshie wrote:
rockman413 wrote:
Currently, I don't think you can escape that. You either have to maintain 2 sets of tracks, or you have to convert tracks to auto-duration. QuickScribe does a pretty good job at transcription without having to do anything, but if your performance gets a little off-beat, that won't work. There's just no perfect way to do this that I know of. I haven't checked other DAWs for breakthroughs in that department, but I think it would be pretty big news. A transcription engine that can catch all the subtleties would have to read your mind or be amazingly musical.
Exactly. If I'm creating a mock up, I want to play and record the part with the natural feel which I, as the composer, think the part deserves. If I'm creating a score and/or parts for either QS or for export to Finale, the subtleties of the performance go out the window. As you say Shooshie, no notation app is up to the task of a perfect transcription, and since, in most cases, I don't want to alter the performance for the sake of accurate notation, the easiest and fastest way for me is to duplicate the track, quantize as much as I need for notation accuracy and leave the performance alone. I will say my axe is piano so I have the facility (usually :) to record the part the way I want.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

That's what I do, too. I have a performance track and a duplicated notation track. Quick Scribe is what it is...quick and reasonably accurate. It wasn't designed to really be professional musician read-ready.

That's why we will export heavily quantized MIDI tracks to a dedicated notation application. In my case, Finale.

Buzzy

Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)