Two different buffer sizes???

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Two different buffer sizes???

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I've noticed you can set a buffer size in the Configure Hardware Driver window, but that is not reflected in the buffer-size setting in the Control Panel.

Basically you can have two completely different buffer sizes at the same time?

Does this make sense, or does anyone know the difference?

Does one over-ride the other?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Two different buffer sizes???

Post by Phil O »

Not possible here, what ever I change in the Configure Hardware window changes what appears in the Control Panel and vice versa. They are always the same. If they appear differently on your system, I suspect there is a problem.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

They show the same on my system as well.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

My interface is an Apogee Ensemble.

Are you all using MOTU hardware?
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm guessing it's a screen redraw issue. If you change it in the control panel does the Audio setup change to match? Also check the software for the unit to see if it reflects changes you make.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

JSmith1234567 wrote:My interface is an Apogee Ensemble.

Are you all using MOTU hardware?
Focusrite and RME hardware here.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I just realized it's the host-buffer multiplier.

I have it set at 4, which is what is doing it.

I know there has been allot of discussion about this, but I think I'll just have to load a really large, proccessor-intensive project and mess around until I find an optimal setting.

If I set 64 in The Configure Hardware Driver window, it changes to 256 in the Control Panel indicator.

How this all affects VI's I guess I'm just going to have to mess with.
Robert Randolph

JSmith1234567 wrote:I just realized it's the host-buffer multiplier.

I know there has been allot of discussion about this, but I think I'll just have to load a really large, proccessor-intensive project and mess around until I find an optimal setting.

If I set 64 in The Configure Hardware Driver window, it changes to 256 in the Control Panel indicator.

FWIW, the host buffer multiplier is gone in 9.1.

Perhaps that doesn't affect you now, but it may in the future if you find an ideal setting and decide to upgrade.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I installed 9.1, tried it for two days, and went back to 9.02.

WAY too many problems to list here, but there were multiple.

I'm looking forward to 9.1x, but for now 9.02 is rock-solid and more efficient for what I do.

I emphasize "for what I do", for as they say on TV, your results may vary!

:D :D :D :D :D
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I've noticed you can set a buffer size in the Configure Hardware Driver window, but that is not reflected in the buffer-size setting in the Control Panel.

Basically you can have two completely different buffer sizes at the same time?

Does this make sense, or does anyone know the difference?

Does one over-ride the other?

Thanks!
It's a bug. I saw this happen a couple of times when I selected two different interfaces. (Btw, ya'll did notice that Host Buffer Multiplier has been removed, right?), and then when I click OK the control panel didn't reflect the correct buffer size. For instance if I selected 1024 in the HW, then it would show 128 in the Control Panel.

I'm sure Mike has beat me to this :D , but is was most likely a bug the resulting from all the recent changes in DP's engine. I don't see the problem anymore, but just refresh the control panel to the right buffer setting until it reflects the correct buffer size.

By the way, if you're using Vienna Ensemble Pro, MIR and/or Kontakt it's my advice to set their buffers and CPU Threads to 0 and let DP control the whole show. I spent many hours testing this BEFORE all the new changes in DP and VEP (so perhaps my opinion may change later), and the best results occurred when 0 was selected. However, it's worth messing with Kontakt's Thread count to get a "level as possible" spread across the CPU threads.

If you have an external clock like I do, then .. even better.

Hope this helps..

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I just realized it's the host-buffer multiplier.

There ya go. Just read this.

Btw, why not just set it as high as possible and let latency compensation do the work for you? Unless you're recording software instruments in realtime all the time then 512 will generally be fine, then just do any quick MIDI clean up. No reason to really go lower than that in my opinion. But if you must go low, at least VEP now has the deactivate feature just like DP does.

Make sure Kontakt is totally optimized for the session. It makes a huge difference.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE