Digital Clicks and Pops

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Clicks and Pops

Post by Phil O »

Gravity Jim wrote:Based on Magic Dave's words, I have to still doubt it.
But it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I dont know about El Capitan, but there have been dozens and dozens of times that one of my old staff folks saved a problem with repairing permissions. Add that to replacing DP prefs with a clean set, and generally we can rule the universe. But that really isn't my end game. I'll leave that to MLC.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Gravity Jim wrote:Those errors happens because the clock is mismatched, or the computer has bad drives or is being bogged down by background processes or something. I've never experienced another cause.
I think the theory is that permission problems cause all sorts of issues. Many of them result in some sort of alert, letting us know that something bad has happened, but it's the ones that go on unnoticed (in the background) bogging things down that can cause unusual symptoms. I have personally experience this. I had a problem with unusually high processor use in DP and playback overloads. Repairing permissions made it all go away. I don't know what the issue was, but hey, it worked. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Gravity Jim wrote:But wasn't it Dave Roberts Himself who said that repairing permissions was usually not doing any good?
FWIW, my former Mac IT dude and Audio Engineer, DJO2 (https://soundcloud.com/oxygenthedj) agrees with Magic Dave:
My understanding was that this is kind of like defrag - Apple is now doing it continuously behind the scenes and there shouldn’t be a situation where running the command in terminal would result in anything actually being repaired. Since El Cap, I have not had occasion to use this.

I’m also having a hard time imagining how permissions being wrong would hinder audio playback. Being able to correctly access a file in one of the Library folders, or Applications should either make something work or not work. Unless maybe there were a ton of errors being generated in the log files because of it and it was the error-writing itself that was hindering overall system or disk I/O performance. You could monitor this before vs. after a permissions repair using Console.

For me, audio glitching has always been fixed with buffer/latency tweaks or by finding some mismatch with sample rates/clocks between app/file and system and hardware.

Ultimately, though, it shouldn’t hurt anything to try the permissions repair and see if it makes a difference.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

"Unless maybe there were a ton of errors being generated in the log files because of it and it was the error-writing itself that was hindering overall system or disk I/O performance."

My guess is this may be exactly the sort of thing that's going on. Dunno. But it HAS solved problems for me, so I ain't gonna argue with success. :?

Phil
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm glad that some have elevated others to diety status, but facts are facts. DP 9.1 and previous installs introduced digital noise that permission repairs corrected. If the dieties are at a loss to explain that perhaps you might want to reconsider their omnipotence regarding "all things." Just because daddy says so doesn't make it true.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

The problem could be due to El Crap...I mean, El Cap.

Timeline - Leopard broken>Snow Leopard great>Lion broken>Mountain Lion great>Mavericks broken>Yosemite great>El Cap broken. There's a pattern there. Hoping the next OS is great.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I have no doubt the OS is involved. It's like a bacon and eggs breakfast. The chicken is involved but the pig is committed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
midilance

Post by midilance »

Repairing permissions I use Cocktail. Have for years.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.2.1 // DP 11.3 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Legacy // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

OnyX has done permissions for years here.
It still does in El Cap.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

My name is Shooshie.
I am a Permissions Skeptic.
I have seen permissions repair recommended for everything from kitchen clogs to killing weeds.
I never saw it work for anything.

Until...
It DID. And that was amazing. I don't remember now what it was that needed fixing, but permissions repair was my last desperate act, being a Permissions Skeptic. And it worked. Since then, I have seen it work on several occasions, and fixing problems in Digital Performer was one of them. I'm not talking about making things snappier, not talking about the kinds of things where you imagine that maybe it's better. I'm talking about fixing something that's broken.

I still do not believe 99% of what I hear about Permissions Repair. I think that most of the recommendations to use it are misguided or last-ditch efforts at advice when nothing else seems to work. Most of the time you will not notice anything different, even if it did fix something.

But when it does work, it's worth all the other times you tried it with no results. Because when it works, it REALLY works.

My name is Shooshie.
I'm a Permissions Skeptic... Sort of.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I've never heard of repairing permissions causing an issue, so even if you think it's exceptionally unlikely to fix a problem... it won't hurt to try.