Digital Clicks and Pops

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Digital Clicks and Pops

Post by Rick Cornish »

I recently upgraded to El Cap and DP 9.1. As I listened back to some recent tracks, I heard quite a few clicks and pops that weren't there in 9.01/Yosemite.

Anyone else find this?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Phil O

Re: Digital Clicks and Pops

Post by Phil O »

I was playing around with buffer settings the other day and found that if I set the buffer too HIGH, I was getting clicks and pops. That's never happened before. Weird huh? Anyway, have you tried different buffer settings?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Phil O wrote:I was playing around with buffer settings the other day and found that if I set the buffer too HIGH, I was getting clicks and pops. That's never happened before. Weird huh? Anyway, have you tried different buffer settings?

Phil
Good thought. I usually don't mess with those much. I will look into that today. Thanks, Phil.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

You were right, Phil… kinda.

On a full soundtrack mix with 720p video running, a buffer setting of 128k yields clicks and pops. 64k is pure grunge. Dialing back to 256k (which is what I always ran before v9.1) plays back clean.
Rick Cornish

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Do you have any post-fader effects being used? There is a bug in 9.1 that can cause noises with post-fader effects as well.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Robert Randolph wrote:Do you have any post-fader effects being used? There is a bug in 9.1 that can cause noises with post-fader effects as well.
Nope. All inserts are pre-fader.
Rick Cornish

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Same here after installing DP 9.1. Repairing permissions fixed it. Lots of MOTU and audio system file permissions "repaired." Duh!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Same here after installing DP 9.1. Repairing permissions fixed it. Lots of MOTU and audio system file permissions "repaired." Duh!

Thanks for the idea. I repaired permissions before installing El Cap. Will try doing it again and zapping the P-RAM for good measure.
Rick Cornish

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

How are you guys and gals repairing permissions in EL Capitan? Onyx?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
MIDI Life Crisis

labman wrote:How are you guys and gals repairing permissions in EL Capitan? Onyx?
http://osxdaily.com/2015/11/04/verify-r ... -mac-os-x/

Instructions on the link. Not as elegant as Disk Utility nor as easy to see what's going on, but it does the job.

I made a clipping of the command line and keep it on my desktop, so when I need to repair permissions I just open the text clipping, copy, and paste into the command line section of Terminal.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

For a complete description of the command type

man repair_packages
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Same here after installing DP 9.1. Repairing permissions fixed it. Lots of MOTU and audio system file permissions "repaired." Duh!
I didn't repair permissions after installing 9.1 but I did after reading your post, and found the same as you, lots of permissions related to the install repaired. I don't know if it was necessary (and some argue that it's not), but to the best of my knowledge it won't do any damage and it provides some peace of mind that everything's tidy.
MIDI Life Crisis

Phil O wrote:I don't know if it was necessary (and some argue that it's not)...
There's not much you can say to defend ignorance. If those folks are convinced repairing permissions won't help, let 'em continue to try and figure out how to solve pops and licks and other anomalies another way. Or they can take two minutes and fix 90% of their problems.

As the piercing place in the Village (NYC) used to say on it's banner: "Pain or no pain. Your choice"

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

But wasn't it Dave Roberts Himself who said that repairing permissions was usually not doing any good? If anyone feels they can call him "ignorant" on the subject of DP, let him step forward.

In a digital system, pops and clicks come from the computer trying to correct a large error in the data stream. Those errors happens because the clock is mismatched, or the computer has bad drives or is being bogged down by background processes or something. I've never experienced another cause.

But I wouldn't know if fixing permissions does any good or not: I run Maintain's Cocktail for Mac weekly, and my pilot script includes repairing permissions on the start-up drive. Maybe that's why I never have a problem with DP. Based on Magic Dave's words, I have to still doubt it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31