Beats to MIDI, is it possible?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Beats to MIDI, is it possible?

Post by Shooshie »

Another possibility: Adjust Beats to transients, then use the long-MIDI-note plus scissors and beat grid to create a series of grid-length notes located on those beats. Throw out the ones you don't want.

I guess there's just not an easy way to do it, Robert.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Shooshie wrote:Another possibility: Adjust Beats to transients, then use the long-MIDI-note plus scissors and beat grid to create a series of grid-length notes located on those beats. Throw out the ones you don't want.

I guess there's just not an easy way to do it, Robert.

Shooshie

Hmm... using the beat grid. I didn't think of incorporating that yet.

I will find a relatively easy way of doing this! :brucelee:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:But...you can convert audio to MIDI data, using Melodyne. Process the track with Melodyne. Afterwards, you can export the processed track as MIDI. It works great.
As I recall you can do this with DP as well? I think you go into the Sequence Editor, choose the Pitch display and then there's a way to select the superimposed notes and drag them to an audio track. As I recall, anyway. Never tried it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
David Polich wrote:But...you can convert audio to MIDI data, using Melodyne. Process the track with Melodyne. Afterwards, you can export the processed track as MIDI. It works great.
As I recall you can do this with DP as well? I think you go into the Sequence Editor, choose the Pitch display and then there's a way to select the superimposed notes and drag them to an audio track. As I recall, anyway. Never tried it.
You can copy/paste them to a MIDI track. Or maybe drag & drop. Seems like I tried it once just as a proof of concept, and it worked. (don't remember whether it was d&d or c&p)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

You can copy PureDSP pitch data to a MIDI track easily.

The issue is that the pitch detection doesn't work on percussive material very well. I've found somewhat of a workaround, but it's clunky and I'm working on it.
Robert Randolph

Just an update, waiting on a bug or two to get fixed before doing a tutorial on this. The best method that I've found so far involves 2 bugs that are in all 9.x versions.

So for now, back to fiddling with trigger plugins and automating individual notes.