Hardware insert plugin question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hardware insert plugin question

Post by csavetman »

So, I understand how to use the new hardware insert plugin as an insert directly on a source track. (Say, a vocal going out to a compressor or eq).

I'm confused about how to use it in a send/return or parallel situation, say a reverb, or parallel compression.

Manual doesn't really say. Would it go on an aux track where the effect is returning? Or each source track that feeds the effect? Does it even work at all on an aux track or does it have to be an audio track? I tried several methods yesterday, and wasn't able to get the source track and effect return to be in sync. Even tried creating a master fader track for the send output and putting it on that channel.

Thanks!
Carlos
Phil O

Re: Hardware insert plugin question

Post by Phil O »

There have been several posts where people have described what seems to be incorrect calculation of latency with this plug-in. It's quite possible that you have it set up correctly, but the sync problems you're experiencing are related to some issues with the plug-in itself. I'm just speculating here, but thought I'd give you a heads up.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Set it up as any Send/Return plugin. Just put the hardware insert plugin wherever you would put any other effect used in a Send/Return configuration, and make sure the hardware channels selected go to and from your effect unit, just as you would when using it as an insert.

As Phil says you might have problems with this plugin. The delay calculations are inconsistent, but I managed to get it to work with a tape deck after a few tries, but couldn't get it to work correctly with other hardware processors.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I heard there were some issues with the plugin.
bayswater wrote:Set it up as any Send/Return plugin. Just put the hardware insert plugin wherever you would put any other effect used in a Send/Return configuration, and make sure the hardware channels selected go to and from your effect unit, just as you would when using it as an insert.
So, just to be clear, the input of the aux track where the plugin sits, would also be assigned the same input as the return channel that's inside the hardware insert plugin itself?

For example, If I had an an external processor coming back in on Spdif 1-2, both the input assignment of the aux channel, and the return channel inside the plugin would be set to Spdif 1-2?

Think I tried that yesterday, with mixed results.

Carlos
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

No, the input of the aux track would be the bus you use for the send. The output would be wherever the signal is supposed to go after being processed.

Imagine you're using reverb via a send. Now just put the hardware insert where you would have put the reverb plugin.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

bayswater wrote:No, the input of the aux track would be the bus you use for the send. The output would be wherever the signal is supposed to go after being processed.

Imagine you're using reverb via a send. Now just put the hardware insert where you would have put the reverb plugin.
Oh, ok. I was not using a bus.
I was assigning my send output as the physical output the processor was connected to.(in this case Spdif out 1-2). That's why I had my input assignment for the aux track, a physical input, and not a bus (Spdif input 1-2)
Will have to try assigning a bus instead and see what happens.
Thanks!

Carlos
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I wonder if it would work on a master fader?

If it did, you wouldn't have to use a buss- just straight from the track outputs.

But for FX send/returns, auxes work best.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
primeevolutionary

Post by primeevolutionary »

I have this working fine in stereo, but, if I'm working on a mono track with track output set to a stereo bus, the options in the Hardware Insert Plug-In only give stereo bus options even if I have mono busses set up up for my hardware in Bundles.

Is there a trick, or, is my only option to assign my track output to a mono Aux and then assign the Aux output to the stereo bus?

Example: My Kick Drum mono track is assigned to the Master bus. I put Hardware Insert Plug-In post fader and want to assign it to output 3 of my 896 and bring it back with input 3. Right now it's only giving me an output 3 and 4 and input 3 and 4.
Macmini9,1 (M1, 2020) 16 GB RAM
MacBookPro15,1 2.6 GHz 6-Core (Intel, 2018) 16 GB RAM
OS X 14.3.1
DP11.3
2 896 mk3 192 kHz Hybrid FW • USB2
Stage-B16
2 828 mk1s
MTPAV USB