DP Mixer: pre/post fader routing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stratology

DP Mixer: pre/post fader routing

Post by stratology »

In an audio track strip in DP’s mixer, the default signal flow is Track Insert (for Effects) > Fader > Track Sends (to Aux tracks).
So by default, the Track Insert is pre-fader, the Sends are post-fader.

Track Inserts can be set up to be post-fader (by dragging up the divider), and Track Sends can be set up to be pre-fader (by pushing the ‘P’ button).

In the manual, I could not find any information about the signal flow when both Inserts and Sends are pre-fader, or when both Inserts and Sends are post-fader. Meaning, does the signal go to the Insert first, and then send the effected signal to the Aux track via the Track Send, or does the signal go to the Send first (signal without effects to the Aux channel)?

So I decided to test it.

Here’s what I found:
(I’m labelling the Track Insert as ‘FX’, for clarity):

default set up:
FX>Fader>Sends

Sends set to pre-fader:
FX>Sends>Fader

FX set to post-fader:
Fader>Sends>FX

The last option is not what I expected.

Hope this helps.
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Mixer: pre/post fader routing

Post by Robert Randolph »

Neat.

How did you test this btw?
stratology

Post by stratology »

Robert Randolph wrote: How did you test this btw?
I used an obvious effect, like a delay with multiple repeats.

For both FX and Send pre-fader:
Track Fader set to - ∞ so the output only comes from the Aux track: the effect is audible.

For both FX and Send post-fader:
Route the main track to a 'blind' bus with no output, like 'bus 29-30', and the Send to an Aux track that routes to the main output.
(Track Fader>bus29-30; Fader is on unity gain.
Send>bus 1-2 >Aux 1 > Firestudio 1-2)

So all that is audible is coming from the Aux track, muting it silences all output.
In this scenario, the audio from the track is audible without the effect, as the Sends sit before the FX in the chain.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Phil O »

Wow, that's not what I expected (and I'm not sure that's the way I'd like it). Thanks for that info Strat. Great work!!

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.