Quickest way to export stems of all tracks?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bongo_john_uk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quickest way to export stems of all tracks?

Post by bongo_john_uk »

I need to export all tracks from all my old songs in DP, so can I live re-mix them in some other looping software.

What is the easiest way to export all tracks as stems? There appears to be no render project tracks as stems option.

It looks like freezing all tracks, then exporting the frozen sound bites might be the only way. Is that correct or have I missed something?
Mac Pro 12 core 3 GHz, Motu Ultralite, DP9.1, Mac OS X 10.10.5 64GB Ram.

http://limbicsounds.com
buzzsmith

Re: Quickest way to export stems of all tracks?

Post by buzzsmith »

Well, technically, this solution is not exactly stems but the *merge* command will create contiguous files that can easily be exported.

To make it easier, set your start time for the regions at 0:00.00 and the end wherever the soundbite(s) ends. This allows you to pop them in in a new sequence right at 0:00 so that they stay in sync. (This is possibly unnecessary if you're staying in DP as they should inherit the timestamp.)

And, you can do multiple tracks at once. I select all of the tracks (with the regions as mentioned above) and merge them all at once. They stay individual.

Then I review the files in the soundbites window and select the mono ones (again all together) and export as deinterleaved Wave files to a folder on the desktop. Then the stereo files exported as interleaved Wave files to the same folder.

A 24 track session, for example, maybe takes 10 minutes for this entire process. The multiple merge is almost instantaneous as is the multiple Wave file export.

Some others may want to add to this or offer another way, but this works for me. If you're staying within DP, you can also export in DP's preferred AIFF format.

Hope this helps!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bongo_john_uk

Re: Quickest way to export stems of all tracks?

Post by bongo_john_uk »

Thanks. That looks useful for dry stems.

Really I want to keep most of the track FX on the stems too, at least basic ones such as EQ/Compression. But I don't need send FX tracks like reverb.

I mostly want to add, remove and fiddle with the structure live remixing, not redo stuff I am happy with.

I thought freeze tracks but it doesn't seem to like bussing. I have most things going through aux tracks.
Mac Pro 12 core 3 GHz, Motu Ultralite, DP9.1, Mac OS X 10.10.5 64GB Ram.

http://limbicsounds.com