DP 9.1 Hardware inserts

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 Hardware inserts

Post by kassonica »

this is not encouraging :(

I Haven't had time to install at the studio yet, as I've been working at another studio (using P.T) but hopefully it will be sorted by the time I do.........

I've waited years for this feature, please work.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

I'm having similar issues. 0 reading then randomly sample value but it doesn't seem to be in exact time and was sometimes way off. How is this thing even supposed to work? I was even confused if I was using it correctly. Sadly, I think I was.
gallospole

Post by gallospole »

I have two workstations operating at OS 10.9.5 & 10.11.6 respectively.

The Hardware Insert works fine in 10.11.6 but fails to pass any audio in 10.9.5.

Using DP 9.12 and their 828 MK3 interface.

In addition, I can't even pass audio externally using any of their analog outputs like Analog 1, 2, etc. The Main Outputs work fine but the others don't in 10.9.5.

Strange...

Is it incompatible with 10.9.5 or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Gallospole
MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (2), 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD, OS 10.9.5 & OS 10.11.6/ MOTU DP 8.07 & 9.12 / Avid Artist Mix / Novation ReMOTE 25 / MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid / MOTU MX4 / M Tron Pro / impOSCar 2 / Eventide Plugins, SSL 4000 E & G Plugins, Puigtec & Puigchild Plugins / Eventide H3000 SE Ultra Harmonizer / Rupert Neve Designs 551s / Heritage '73EQ Jr / Klark Teknik DN500 / UA 2-610 / Focusrite ISA 828 / Beyer M201 TG / AKG 414 B-ULS / Shure SM57 & Beta 87A / EV RE20
waxman

Post by waxman »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Phil O wrote:Ouch! Thanks for the heads up.
Please try it yourself if you can! I can only assume that MOTU had this working on their end.

It must be something about my system that's messed up somewhow, right? Is anyone else seeing weird issues with it?
Robert I've noticed and appreciate your refrain from negative editorializing when it comes to DP. Thanks so much. I hope people at MOTU appreciate it also. Like you've said those guys at MOTU are working hard to get things right. Thanks for your work in testing the things many take for granted.
:headbang:
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
gallospole

Post by gallospole »

Andrew was helpful at MOTU.

Apparently our output faders were down within the MOTU Audio Setup program.

Always something stupid!

But it would be nice if this same function was available in CueMix which is the monitoring program we typically use.

Gallospole
MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 (2), 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD, OS 10.9.5 & OS 10.11.6/ MOTU DP 8.07 & 9.12 / Avid Artist Mix / Novation ReMOTE 25 / MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid / MOTU MX4 / M Tron Pro / impOSCar 2 / Eventide Plugins, SSL 4000 E & G Plugins, Puigtec & Puigchild Plugins / Eventide H3000 SE Ultra Harmonizer / Rupert Neve Designs 551s / Heritage '73EQ Jr / Klark Teknik DN500 / UA 2-610 / Focusrite ISA 828 / Beyer M201 TG / AKG 414 B-ULS / Shure SM57 & Beta 87A / EV RE20
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

waxman wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
Phil O wrote:Ouch! Thanks for the heads up.
Please try it yourself if you can! I can only assume that MOTU had this working on their end.

It must be something about my system that's messed up somewhow, right? Is anyone else seeing weird issues with it?
Robert I've noticed and appreciate your refrain from negative editorializing when it comes to DP. Thanks so much. I hope people at MOTU appreciate it also. Like you've said those guys at MOTU are working hard to get things right. Thanks for your work in testing the things many take for granted.
:headbang:
I've been more careful in how I phrase things recently for sure.

The intent and my mindset hasn't changed, but I'm more careful in how I phrase things so there's no room for misinterpretation.

Thank you for noticing. :unicorn:
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Robert Randolph wrote:...so there's no room for misinterpretation.
Someone for sure will take something you say the wrong way. Right? There's always room for misinterpretation...

...and Jello.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Phil O wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:...so there's no room for misinterpretation.
Someone for sure will take something you say the wrong way. Right? There's always room for misinterpretation...

...and Jello.
Ugh. I hate jello. :vomit:

I'd rather the misinterpretation.
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Has anyone been using this with accurate results?
SMS

Post by SMS »

How are you guys 'pinging' this?

Intuitively, I would insert the plug on an audio track, assign it to an output, loop that output back to an input, record that input then visually verify the offset between the sent and re-recorded waveforms. Is that what you're doing?

Also please explain the math of how many samples one would expect to see at a given buffer setting.

Thanks
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SMS wrote:How are you guys 'pinging' this?

Intuitively, I would insert the plug on an audio track, assign it to an output, loop that output back to an input, record that input then visually verify the offset between the sent and re-recorded waveforms. Is that what you're doing?

Also please explain the math of how many samples one would expect to see at a given buffer setting.

Thanks
That's what I was doing. I was getting a delay of about 200 Msec when using an outboard UAD on another Mac. This is supposed to be measured automatically by the new plugin but I get very inconsistent measures so I'm still using manual routing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

is anyone using this successfully? I'm trying to set up a new Template for mixing this year and I'm having scattered results in 9.52. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm having better luck with mono channels, the stereo ins and out don't seem to pass audio at all. I've tried the Hardware inserts in PT, S1 and Logic, and they're fine. I know my patching is good. Just can't seem to get them to work property in 9.52. Can someone check at NAMM if they are using Bundle Names in DP10?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mrgkeys wrote:is anyone using this successfully? I'm trying to set up a new Template for mixing this year and I'm having scattered results in 9.52. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm having better luck with mono channels, the stereo ins and out don't seem to pass audio at all. I've tried the Hardware inserts in PT, S1 and Logic, and they're fine. I know my patching is good. Just can't seem to get them to work property in 9.52. Can someone check at NAMM if they are using Bundle Names in DP10?
I never got this working properly. The timing was usually off. I went back to sending a transient and measuring the latency and using AUDelay as an insert to compensate.
pepe44
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by pepe44 »

Hi everyone. New user of DP 10.11.
I was trying to do some hardware inserts, i created two stereo channel, one has Hardware insert the other doesn't, same audio on both track i get comb filtering when i play them back, meaning the compensation from the roundtrip is not happening.
I checked preferences but cant find any other thing to solve it.
I pinged the machine a couple times and changed buffer sizes , restart and always same result.
Anyone ?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I tried out this plugin when it first appeared, and found it did not accurately measure latency, and didn't even give the same result on multiple tests. IIRC, you can manually set the latency. I already had a setup that used a delay plugin with a negative setting, so I went back to using that.

I opened a tech link but MOTU was not able to reproduce any errors.

If other have this problem, perhaps they could also send tech links and maybe MOTU will have another look. It would be good to have this available for things like re-amping, and a couple of old hardware external effects.