De-Install 9.1 and move back to 9.02

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

De-Install 9.1 and move back to 9.02

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this, without major hassles or time-machine.

Also without having to rebuild all of my preferences, etc.

I do own app-zapper, if that would help?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: De-Install 9.1 and move back to 9.02

Post by mikehalloran »

You can have both versions installed and running if you want. Rename 9.1 by adding the .1 to the name. Download and install 9.02 — it's still available.
http://motu.com/download/download_match ... oduct_id=1

Otherwise, you can trash 9.1 and reinstall 9.02.

You may not need to trash the preferences unless you set some that affect 9.02. If there's a problem, go ahead but, if not, leave them alone.

You shouldn't have to remove 9.1 completely. There are detailed instructions for doing so in another thread if necessary.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

9.1 is really that bad for you?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:You may not need to trash the preferences unless you set some that affect 9.02. If there's a problem, go ahead but, if not, leave them alone.
I noticed that on my MBP, where I installed 9.1, and it overwrote 9.02, the preference file still has a "last opened" and "modified" date from prior to the 9.1 installation. I guess if 9.1 used a different preference file, it would have written a new one, or overwritten the old one.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Yes I'm going back to 9.02 for the way it handles VIs.

I always get sick of all of the gloom and doom posts whenever a new version of ANY software comes out, but in this case, I was finishing a project the past three days and was on 9.1 for three straight 10-hour days.

For me, the whole VI thing was really a problem, considerably complicating and delaying work-flow.

Lot's of need for constant work-arounds...the opposite of transparency.

Please let me say that 9.1 may be a FABULOUS improvement for others, though.

Everybody uses these DAWs in such unique, weird, personal ways that one person's problems may never even be seen by another user, and 9.1 might be a huge, longed-for improvement.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Sorry you are having trouble. Which VI's are problems
for you?

I have experienced some heavy CPU load
with SOME older Kontakt instruments that
havent been updated by their creators in years.
Other Kontakt instruments load and play
without any CPU overload at all. Most of my
VI's play with negligible latency at 512, zero
latency at 256 or lower. Except for Trillian,
that still requires buffers set at 256 here to
play without latency.

Same story for Arturia Matrix V3 and Farfisa
V..these load up the CPU to about 50% at
256 and require 256 to play with no latency.
But their Oberheim SEM V plays fine at 512
with very little CPU usage.

My point is, I feel MOTU delivered the goods
with 9.1. I'm not going back to 9.02. Any problems
I have with VI's, I ascribe to the vendirs who
authored them and not MOTU, who couldnt
possibly test every plugin and VI on every
possible system configuration.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

It is all VE Pro and Kontakt, and a mix of mostly new and a few old Kontakt instruments.

I also have a problem with Stylus not triggering mid-loop.

Finally, the sustain-pedal problems with everything that uses a sustain pedal (including Omnisphere).

Again, if 9.1 works for you, I say GREAT!

Whoever's problems these are (MOTU or third-party), I hope they get them fixed because I would definitely love to upgrade.

The new SMPTE plug-in alone would be worth it!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

JSmith1234567 wrote:It is all VE Pro and Kontakt, and a mix of mostly new and a few old Kontakt instruments.

I also have a problem with Stylus not triggering mid-loop.

Finally, the sustain-pedal problems with everything that uses a sustain pedal (including Omnisphere).

Again, if 9.1 works for you, I say GREAT!

Whoever's problems these are (MOTU or third-party), I hope they get them fixed because I would definitely love to upgrade.

The new SMPTE plug-in alone would be worth it!
Someone posted in the "DP 9.1 is Here!" threadabout setting something in VE Pro to "4"...or maybe its something in the DP buffer settings page...wasn't exactly clear, but that might help solve the issue.

Speaking for myself, I bailed on VE Pro sometime back, it was just too buggy for me. Same with East West - their Play engine is still buggy. I'm guessing VE Pro has not been updated to work with DP 9.1.

I'm not experiencing the sustain pedal issue with anything. Here's a thought though - check your pedal's polarity switch, if it has one. It may be that it got reversed. Or your sustain pedal itself may have a short. Also, try disabling Event Chasing (under the "Setup" menu). I explained this a bit more in my reply on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62126&p=529393#p529393
waxman

Post by waxman »

Set buffer in VE Pro to 4. At 2 it's does not work at 4 it works fine
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

waxman wrote:Set buffer in VE Pro to 4. At 2 it's does not work at 4 it works fine
Thanks. I don't use VE Pro but it's nice to know a roll back to DP 9.01 is overkill if one simply needs to change a simple setting to make it compatible with VE. That's a good thing to keep in mind in terms of other VI "problems" that might crop up for others.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I did try the VE Pro 4-buffer solution but it didn't help with the sustain-pedal thing.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

When I ran buffers at 4 on VE, it lagged behind the beat. Supposed to have latency comp but I run so many busses and master bus compressors etc, I betcha there’s a confusion until a DP or VE update. I dont think latency comp is right.
What about things like bundles when going back? Or any other prefs? Just install 9.02 and voila?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I am not an expert on this subject by any stretch of the imagination, but here is what I did...

I used an app called "AppZapper" to get rid of DP and supposedly it gets rid of everything related to DP automatically.

I then installed 9.02 from the old install that was still in my downloads folder.

After I installed, I opened up the library window in the finder.

I went to last Wednesday's time machine back-up folder, opened up the old library in another window.

Then I just dragged and replaced everything I could find that had to do with MOTU or DP.

The one weird thing is it seems like there are two libraries...one in the hard-drive directory path, one under "users", and it seemed, but I could be wrong, that it was the one under my name as user that needed to be replaced.

After all this, 9.02 came right back perfectly with all my prefs and settings and commands and bundles and whatever.

Hope this helps!