What happened to "run-in-real-time plug-in preference???

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What happened to "run-in-real-time plug-in preference???

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, Dave is the real deal, all right. He was getting ready to go out on tour with MJ when we tragically lost him. A tour like that doesn't hire wannabes.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Yep, I'm also getting sustain pedal weirdness as well as delayed playback form certain plugins like Play and VE Pro...

Back to 9.02 for now
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
waxman

Post by waxman »

jlaudon wrote:Yep, I'm also getting sustain pedal weirdness as well as delayed playback form certain plugins like Play and VE Pro...

Back to 9.02 for now
DP 9.1 is a ho nutha ting... It defaults to pre-gen. There is no global run in real time for a good reason. Many plugs and VI's should not be run in real time. The run in real time option is per plugin and VI. There will be plugs that don't work until they are updated. Especially the ones that have built in playback engines.

I spent a lot of hours yesterday and today sussing out why I was suddenly getting crashes in BFD3 during recording. It had been working great since the DP 9.1 release. The low latency feature quickly became a can't do without. I had been in buffer 128 for weeks. Finally it was what you hear is what you get...

Since nothing had changed in BFD3 I suspected DP 9.1 had gone south. Repair permissions, reinstall both DP and BFD3. Reinstall MIDI drivers the whole 9 yards. Went to bed defeated. This morning called MOTU and Brendan joined the chase... still no fix.

I grew tired of the chase and reverted to DP 9.02 and low and behold DP 9.02 crashed also. Things that make you go Hmmm. So set up a session from scratch with a stock BFD3 Ludwig kit and DP 9.1 It all worked perfectly again... Hallelujah!!! Eventually it came down to the BFD3 Kit that had worked perfectly for many sessions somehow became corrupted. Once identified it was an easy fix.

So DP 9.1 according to MOTU has some 3rd party plugs that don't work at all but BFD3 had not been reported as a problem. This new dynamic of pre-gen is still a must have for me especially tracking drums. If there is trouble in the future it's likely going to be an issue with a plug or VI the majority. Find an alternate and if not stick to 9.02. At some point most plugs and VI's will work with 9.1. MOTU is currently working to fix the offenders.

I had a great session this afternoon that lasted hours and there was not even a hiccup. The track had meter and time changes and the drum tracking remained solid. After I became brave I jerked the wiper around to see if it would choke. Happily it is solid as a rock. So for now all my NI, Arturia, Slate Digital and UAD2 plugs and VI's work perfect and that is enough for me. Sadly for some especially those doing large VI projects for film there are probably to many variables for DP 9.1. This new technology is amazing and will be rock solid at some point. In the mean time carry on.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

JSmith1234567 wrote:No...I'm hitting record manually, waiting a second, and then hitting a note and the pedal-on, which since the beginning of time (or at least pianos!) has triggered a sustain.

I will report the bug to MOTU, but it looks like, thanks to the last post, someone else besides me is seeing this same problem with a completely different setup.

FYI, I am seeing this with both a piano VI opened in Kontakt directly opened in DP, and also the same piano VI opened in in Kontakt in VE-Pro with the VE-Pro plug-in opened in DP.

None of this happened in 9.02, or any previous version of DP.

As I said, in previous versions of DP, I had pre-gen turned off and run-in-real-time turned on globally.

Thanks!
Had the same problem here too in a recent session using Vilabs True keys
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I ran back to 9.02 as fast as possible because of all the changes made to the pre-rendering system in 9.1. Rather than just make it work better, they almost completely did away with our ability to choose whether or not to use it. Unless I'm programming I don't want it, and even then the whole track buffering system has been FUBAR'd to where editing during playback is no longer a smooth experience. Plus I couldn't print or BTD without getting glitches all over the place.

Seems this one came out a bit premature.
waxman

Post by waxman »

amplidood wrote:I ran back to 9.02 as fast as possible because of all the changes made to the pre-rendering system in 9.1. Rather than just make it work better, they almost completely did away with our ability to choose whether or not to use it. Unless I'm programming I don't want it, and even then the whole track buffering system has been FUBAR'd to where editing during playback is no longer a smooth experience. Plus I couldn't print or BTD without getting glitches all over the place.

Seems this one came out a bit premature.
Setting "Run in real time" is available on individual plugs only. In 9.1 it's not the default preset. It's there for graphic options in the plug you want. Look for a present this Friday or next. :dance:

To run both 9.02 and 9.1 on your machine just change the name of the application of one of them.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
OldTimey

Post by OldTimey »

hoping MOTU brings back "run-in-real time" option back to preferences.

i abhor "pre-gen"!

at the very least have the fixed the clicking and glitching that happens when you open up a plugin window that isn't set to "run in real time"?
why would i want to skin a cat?
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

Well I've got problems with G Player and RMX in DP 9.1 They are skipping notes and are not locking into the tempo. I gave a file to motu to check out the problem. The fact is these plugins are dated and that may contribute to the problem but I would like to have more control over with pre gen in general. MOTU is going to have an update for 9.1 perhaps by next week.... I don't know whether this problem will be addressed by that time.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

waxman wrote:Look for a present this Friday or next. :dance:
crescentoon55 wrote:MOTU is going to have an update for 9.1 perhaps by next week....
Did you guys hear that from the horse's mouth? (I hope) 8)

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well, either the mouth or the other end, I'm guessing, Philly.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
crescentoon55

Post by crescentoon55 »

Told to me by tech support last Friday....
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Wagers?
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

waterstrum wrote:Here is the text of the new features from MOTU...

MOTU has worked hard to ensure a high level of compatibility with third party virtual instruments and effects. There may be cases where pre-generation may not work as expected with a given 3rd-party plug-in. These cases should be reported to MOTU and the plug-in vendor so that compatibility can be fully established. In the meantime, you can run the plug-in or instrument in real time.

If you would like a plug-in or virtual instrument to run in real time only while its window is open (to improve level meter timing in the plug-in window for example), go to the minimenu and choose "Run Open Instances of This Plug-in in Real Time". Close the window to return to Pre-gen mode (or uncheck the menu item). This setting applies globally to all instances of that plug-in and is saved globally.

To force a virtual instrument track into real-time operation all the time (not just when its window is open), record-enable any MIDI track that targets the instrument. To force an audio track's effects into real time, the track can either be record-enabled or monitorenabled. Alternately, the effect can be placed on an aux track, either in a chunk or a vrack, with bussing used to access the effect. Aux track effects are always rendered in real-time.

Seems like they want us to use pre-gen as a default.
Record-enabling tracks to defeat the PG would be a bit impractical for session use.
Maybe I don't understand the concept.
Is there a particular way to report these plugs? Using Tech links or a specific email?
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Oh man, I'm still on DP8, but I wouldn't want to upgrade if I couldn't disable pre-gen. I have a few plugins, G-Force Mellotron in particular, that are all kinds of bad with pre-gen enabled.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

They really need to bring it back pronto!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro