DP 9.1 is here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.1 is here

Post by waxman »

I will bet anybody on M-nation a thousand bucks it won't be called 9.11...

For those who have ears to hear... "the fix is in." Any day now sustain pedals of the world will be doing the 2 step.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

9.1.1 or even a new build of 9.1. Wouldn't be the first time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
waxman

Post by waxman »

Ok it did not happen yesterday... I day it happens before Labor day weekend starts at 6pm EST. So if MOTU takes off Friday it will be Thursday night... Sept. 1, 6pm EST.

Any guesses?

Add to known fixes or wanted fixes.

Pedal sustain (fixed)
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
dix

Post by dix »

waxman wrote:I will bet anybody on M-nation a thousand bucks it won't be called 9.11...
Nailed it!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waxman

Post by waxman »

The tech let me know last week it would be out quick... I thought it might be last Friday. But they put it out yesterday and everyone at MOTU got out of Dodge. They are doing a 5 day labor day weekend. Some companies are great. MOTU is one of them...
waxman
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

Once I isolated the 2 plugins that were giving me trouble, there were no more problems ... bravo to the coders!! :D
waxman

Post by waxman »

crescentoon55 wrote:Once I isolated the 2 plugins that were giving me trouble, there were no more problems ... bravo to the coders!! :D
what were the two plugs?
waxman
MonoPoly307

Post by MonoPoly307 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Latency is nearly non-existent now. So small at 512.
Wow! Are you saying that even if you're running a buffer of 512 samples, you can still play virtual instruments with hardly any latency? (Or run audio sources through effect plug-ins, with the same result?).

If so, that's pretty amazing!

In my experience, as a Logic user, I've needed to use either a sample buffer of 32 or 64 samples for instruments to be really playable, and at 128 samples the latency has been borderline (ok for piano, unusable for a drummer using V-drums through BFD for example).

Anyway - I would love to have confirmation that even at 512 samples, latency is not a problem!

Cheers
Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I can track at 512 for sure. My desktop controller is hooked into USB and my full 88 note kbd is plugged into a MOTU Track 16. I don't know if thetas a factor or my machine is fast (or my brain and fingers are compensating) but I have sometimes forgotten to switch to a high buffer for editing. It also depends on what you're tracking in terms of speed etc. I may well be compensating for latency "instinctively" but it hasn't been an issue for me in a very long time.
yeloop wrote:
Wow! Are you saying that even if you're running a buffer of 512 samples, you can still play virtual instruments with hardly any latency? (Or run audio sources through effect plug-ins, with the same result?).

In my experience, as a Logic user, I've needed to use either a sample buffer of 32 or 64 samples for instruments to be really playable, and at 128 samples the latency has been borderline (ok for piano, unusable for a drummer using V-drums through BFD for example).

Anyway - I would love to have confirmation that even at 512 samples, latency is not a problem!

Cheers
Mike
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MonoPoly307

Post by MonoPoly307 »

Wow! That's pretty incredible performance. At 512, I can absolutely guarantee that with Logic Pro, there's no way I could track any kind of part. Even slow pads wouldn't really be viable with that kind of delay, let alone percussion or piano parts, etc.

It sounds like DP9 really does deliver far low latency at high buffers, which is pretty exciting for someone like me who is thinking about moving.

I've noticed that there are varying accounts in this thread, though - it seems that a test has shown that the new latency in DP is the same as other DAWs (Cubase, Logic), but just reports a different figure. Others are saying that the real-world experience of DP 9.1 is amazing, and even that drummers using V-Drums are finding instruments like BFD to be much more responsive under DP than Cubase or Logic.

I'm going to download the demo for DP in the next few days. I'm looking forward to seeing what my experience is, and in light of some recent issues with Logic, feeling hopeful that it might be time to move.

Cheers
Mike
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I can track at 512 for sure. My desktop controller is hooked into USB and my full 88 note kbd is plugged into a MOTU Track 16. I don't know if thetas a factor or my machine is fast (or my brain and fingers are compensating) but I have sometimes forgotten to switch to a high buffer for editing. It also depends on what you're tracking in terms of speed etc. I may well be compensating for latency "instinctively" but it hasn't been an issue for me in a very long time.
yeloop wrote:

Cheers
Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

Yeloop, what is your machine, configuration, OS, and RAM amount
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MonoPoly307

Post by MonoPoly307 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yeloop, what is your machine, configuration, OS, and RAM amount
Hey MLC,

I'm using a MacBook Pro late 2015, it has a (from memory) 2.8GHz i7 processor, it's up to date with the most recent version of MacOS, and it has 16GB of 1600MHz RAM.

Cheers,
Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks. Should be more than capable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MonoPoly307

Post by MonoPoly307 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Thanks. Should be more than capable.
I would have thought so, yes. I'll set up the demo version and see how I go.

Thanks for your advice on this one!

Cheers,
Mike
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

toodamnhip wrote:
bayswater wrote: Note, the section on pre-gen suggests adjusting Prime Milliseconds settings to fine tune VIs and plugsins
Are we supposed to just “guess” at this or is there some sort of hint as to which way to adjust the numbers in a given problematic scenario? Not a fan of just “moving numbers around” without knowledge of how or why.
Travis at MOTU just told me that the "magic number" seems to be to change it from a setting of 128 to 500.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools