DP 9.1 is here

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.1 is here

Post by cuttime »

Get it while it's hot!
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
wdegillio

Re: DP 9.1 is here

Post by wdegillio »

Well! I'll be a monkey's uncle!! :D :D :D

(Apologies to my nephew.)
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Still downloading. I tried it several times with all the available links, but the name of the Mac Package is DP91(71078)Full.exe?

EDIT There is a .pkg installer, just make sure you click directly on the word "Mac".
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

:D
:shock:
:headbang:

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

cuttime wrote:Still downloading. I tried it several times with all the available links, but the name of the Mac Package is DP91(71078)Full.exe?

EDIT There is a .pkg installer, just make sure you click directly on the word "Mac".
:rofl: too excited and picked the wrong one eh ?? :woohoo:
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Last edited by cuttime on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

9.1. Join the fun!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Installer is hanging on verify for me :(
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

I reformatted the changelog to be more forum readable. The original is here: http://cdn-data.motu.com/site/docs/dp/v9/DP91readme.pdf

Complete DP9 documentation
You can find complete DP9 documentation (PDF files) on the DP9 installer disc, and you can also access them directly from Digital Performer's Help menu. Table of Contents entries, index entries, and cross references are live links that will jump to their destinations. In some cases, you may need to click directly on the page number (rather than the heading).

Changes and new features

For a comprehensive list of new features, please refer to New Features in DP, available
in Digital Performer's Help menu.

New features introduced in version 9.1
Version 9.1 introduces the following new features. For further information about these features, go to Digital Performer's Help menu > New Features in Digital Performer 9.

Reduced latency for audio I/O and VIs under OS X — Host buffer latency under CoreAudio has been cut in half. As an example, if you choose a buffer setting of 128 samples, version 9.1 yields 256 samples of total host latency (one buffer on input and one on output), plus any hardware latency. This will improve audio I/O latency and virtual instrument performance.

Enhanced WASAPI driver performance under Windows — The latency of the WASAPI (Windows Audio) driver has been significantly reduced. This will improve audio I/O latency and virtual instrument performance. The CPU load of the sample rate conversion used in the Windows Audio driver has also been substantially reduced. MAS engine optimization for small buffer settings — DP's MOTU Audio System (MAS) engine processing has been optimized to better support operation at smaller buffer sizes (for both Mac and Windows).

Next-gen Pre-gen™ engine — DP's Next-generation Pre-gen engine transparently pre-renders audio output from virtual instruments and plug-ins to dramatically reduce their CPU load. In version 9.1, this feature has been highly optimized for greatly enhanced CPU performance. DP seamlessly manages transitions between pregenerated audio and live audio as needed (such as when you record a virtual instrument live). In addition, virtual instruments are always available for preview activities, such as editing notes in the MIDI Graphic Editor or using a VI’s on-screen keyboard (previously they were only active when playback was underway). To fine-tune the responsiveness of plug-ins and virtual instruments, go to Setup menu > Configure Audio System > Configure Studio Settings and adjust the Prime Milliseconds setting.

MOTU has worked hard to ensure a high level of compatibility with third party virtual instruments and effects. There may be cases where pre-generation may not work as expected with a given 3rd-party plug-in. These cases should be reported to MOTU and the plug-in vendor so that compatibility can be fully established. In the meantime, you can run the plug-in or instrument in real time.

If you would like a plug-in or virtual instrument to run in real time only while its window is open (to improve level meter timing in the plug-in window for example), go to the minimenu and choose "Run Open Instances of This Plug-in in Real Time". Close the window to return to Pre-gen mode (or uncheck the menu item). This setting applies globally to all instances of that plug-in and is saved globally.

To force a virtual instrument track into real-time operation all the time (not just when its window is open), record-enable any MIDI track that targets the instrument. To force an audio track's effects into real time, the track can either be record-enabled or monitorenabled. Alternately, the effect can be placed on an aux track, either in a chunk or a vrack, with bussing used to access the effect. Aux track effects are always rendered in real-time.

SMPTE-Z plug-in — The SMPTE-Z plug-in generates Longitudinal Time Code (LTC) while locked to DP’s timeline or while running independently in Freewheel mode. The Stillframe option causes time code to continue to be generated even when DP’s transport is stopped (parked on one frame). Time code can be routed anywhere via the audio track’s output assignment, allowing for accurate time code sync in a wide variety of situations.

Hardware Insert plug-in — The Hardware Insert plug-in functions just like other DP effects plug-ins, but loops the channel’s audio signal to a piece of outboard hardware for external processing by the hardware. It can be instantiated in line with other software plug-ins and even saved as part of an effect chain clipping. The plug-in includes a button that pings the external hardware, measures the resulting latency and automatically compensates for it. The hardware insert plug-in allows you to easily incorporate outboard gear into your DP effects chains.

In addition to the new features outlined above, version 9.1 also introduces the following enhancements:
  • Track level meters now display the track's level post-fader and pre-pan.
  • Fixed a problem where plugging or unplugging headphones while using built-in audio could cause MAS to stop and report a hardware change.
  • Fixed a latency compensation bug with side-chain outputs of VIs running in pre-gen mode.
  • Fixed a bug with latency compensation, where using voice tracks as a "recordable aux track" would not correctly align the source material.
  • Fixed assigning MIDI inputs in the Track Assignments dialog.
  • Reduced wait-time when switching between chunks with a high track count.
  • Fixed a crash when reducing the number of sends.
  • Fixed backing window to match effect window when resized.
  • Allow maximum value in automation lane to be selected.
  • Fixed an issue where a track might not immediately appear when moved from a closed folder to an open one.
  • Simplified the studio setup dialog.
  • Fixed a bug where VST or AU wrappers would crash if validation was performed after MAS had been turned off and back on again.
  • Fixed an error message that would be displayed when hitting delete in the waveform editor.
  • Fixed a problem where some VSTs would seem to hang during validation.
  • Fixed saving as AudioDesk files from DP.
  • Fixed DP 9.x file IO compatibility with DP 8.
  • Fixed crash when duplicating label in a Console.
  • Fixed a crash when double-clicking the MIDI learn button.
  • Fixed a bug where removing a mono-to-stereo effect could leave the track playing only to the left channel.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when switching chunks from the SE mini-menu.
  • Fixed an error that would be displayed when opening a project containing a movie with no audio track.
  • Fixed an issue where cut copy paste wasn't working in OS modal dialogs like the Save As window.
  • Fixed a print bug where the Page Setup scale factor wasn't working as expected.
  • Updated the English and Japanese PDF manuals (in the Help menu).
  • Fixed issues with Avid Artist Mix / EuCon surfaces where track names might not show up or the control surface might disconnect in sequences with lots of tracks.
  • Fixed issues with track layouts not properly duplicating with sequences.
  • Fixed an issue where hitting TAB triggered the search filter whether or not the Track Selector was open.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I appreciate the reformat Robert.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So far, good. Download and install took less than 10 minutes. It started up quickly, and loaded my test project without complaints. It replaces 9.02, so you'll want to install on a test partition and make sure it's all good before installing on your working partition.

I didn't do too much testing, but MIDI editing in line mode operated without the previous glitches. Will test more thoroughly on the weekend.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Sad I do not see any fixes relating to snapshot automation or third-party automation. Sigh
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dix

Post by dix »

bayswater wrote: It replaces 9.02, so you'll want to install on a test partition and make sure it's all good before installing on your working partition.
Thanks for the heads up. You can also just duplicate and rename 9.02 before you install if you want both versions available.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

labman wrote:I appreciate the reformat Robert.
+1 !

Download and install went "Smooth as Guzzler's Gin"

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't see the MIDI Lines Mode bug. Could they have released 9/1 without fixing that? I reported it back in about January, and they acknowledged it.

I'm happy to see 9.1, but if they neglected to fix certain things, I'm going to be kind of disappointed. I'm not talking about the things I reported in the past month. The Lines Mode bug was widely reported, long ago enough that they should fixed it by now.

Would anyone see if it's fixed yet? Or not. I'll get mine going soon. I just got home from a long trip.

Shooshie

[EDIT: It appears to be fixed! Yay!]
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|