Plugins for creating harmonies/doubling?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plugins for creating harmonies/doubling?

Post by David Polich »

I see that SynchroArts VocAlign Project 3 is now half off, which is a pretty good deal. However,
I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. I am seeking a plug-in that will generate harmonies that are reasonably good quality, as well as doing vocal doubling in mono.

Any suggestions welcome...thank you!
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Dwetmaster

Re: Plugins for creating harmonies/doubling?

Post by Dwetmaster »

izotope Nectar.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Copy the audio sections (make separate soundbites) to new tracks, move them slightly in time so they are slightly delayed by a few milliseconds (enough to sound like new vocals) so they are doubles of the original vocal, use Pitch edit in the Sequence editor and change the pitch of the copies/new soundbites to make harmonies. Again this is such an easy function to carry out in DP - and sounds much better that a plug in false harmony/doubler in my opinion.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Dwetmaster wrote:izotope Nectar.
Nectar Elements (the old Nectar 1) can handle doubling. Nectar 2 can add up to 12 harmony tracks.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... rison.html

If you've ever purchased from Izotope, there may be a coupon you can use. Other discounts are out these from resellers. AudioDeluxe has Nectar 2 Production Suite for a very good price right now. Plugin Boutique has Elements for $35—this version can be upgraded to Nectar 2.
http://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=326

Otherwise, Antares Antares AVOX 4 Vocal Toolkit includes Harmony Engine, Choir and nine other plugins that one might find useful. Again AudioDeluxe has a good price ($210). Harmony Engine by itself doesn't cost much less than the entire suite.
http://www.antarestech.com/products/det ... t=AVOX_4_6

It's also available as a bundle with AutoTune 8.
http://www.antarestech.com/products/det ... _Studio_19
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Copy the audio sections (make separate soundbytes) to new tracks, move them slightly in time so they are slightly delayed by a few milliseconds (enough to sound like new vocals) so they are doubles of the original vocal, use Pitch edit in the Sequence editor and change the pitch of the copies/new soundbytes to make harmonies. Again this is such an easy function to carry out in DP - and sounds much better that a plug in false harmony/doubler in my opinion.
Nothing wrong with that either. :headbang:
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Copy the audio sections (make separate soundbytes) to new tracks, move them slightly in time so they are slightly delayed by a few milliseconds (enough to sound like new vocals) so they are doubles of the original vocal, use Pitch edit in the Sequence editor and change the pitch of the copies/new soundbytes to make harmonies. Again this is such an easy function to carry out in DP - and sounds much better that a plug in false harmony/doubler in my opinion.
what he said
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Thanks all for the replies. Yes I have Nectar2. I'll have to go revisit it...haven't used it in ages.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Eventide's H910 plug-in (fairly new, I think, but of course an emulation of the old hardware) is on special sale for a few more days as I recall. I bought it but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Maybe not transparent enough for your needs? I'd assume it's fairly coloured, given its vintage.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

David Polich wrote:Thanks all for the replies. Yes I have Nectar2. I'll have to go revisit it...haven't used it in ages.
Here's the comparison between the Standard and the Productiin Suite editions.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... rison.html

Both versions have the Harmony and FX modules. For doubling, a delay set to 4ms is a good place to start—adjust to taste.

The Production Suite version gives you more control over vocal effects and pitch editing. I have never used the additional features in the Production Suite. For me, Nectar's strength is that I can take the Ron Popiel approach: "Set it and forget it".