Warning- Toontracks 2.1.3 BREAKS in VE Pro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Warning- Toontracks 2.1.3 BREAKS in VE Pro

Post by toodamnhip »

Installing Toontrack EZ drummer 2.1.2 or 2.1.3 will cause Ve Pro files containing EZ drummer to NOT be able to open previously created EZ drummer sessions. For old sessions files, (meaning less files made 2 weeks ago or earlier), The last working version of EZ drummer and toontracks is version 2.0.2 or maybe 2.1.1 I am not sure which.
Again, installing versions 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 will result in Ve Pro not being able to open older EZ drummer projects. You will NOT be able to go back to EZ drummer 2.1.1 as far as I can tell. And, Toontracks has NOT been able to fix this for a week. All efforts to get me back to 2.1.1 or 2.0.2 have failed. VE Pro is also working on a fix. As of right now, I cannot get to my past VE Pro toontrack sessions and they are broken until Vienna or Toontracks comes up with a fix. DO NOT UPDATE Toontracks EZ drummer past 2.1.1 VE Pro will open fine, but will give error messages on the old EZ drummer instantiations. Vienna has informed me this is possibly due to Toontrack changing their protocol for naming EZ drummer instances/

This means, DO NOT use the new Toontrack product manager as it will recommend you update, and your old less files in VE Pro will break.

If you have NO older EZ drummer sess files and update to the latest version of EZ drummer inside of VE Pro , you will be able to make new EZ drums without issue. This only effects previous less files made in VE Pro.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
zuul-studios

Re: Warning- Toontracks 2.1.3 BREAKS in VE Pro

Post by zuul-studios »

Does this hold true for Superior Drummer, too?!?
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4, 1 Internal SSD, 7 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It must only affect VE Pro users - both Toontrack EZDrummer2 and Superior Drummer work fine with DP and El Capitan. This must be a VE Pro issue rather than a Toontrack or DP issue I presume.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Guitar Gaz wrote:It must only affect VE Pro users - both Toontrack EZDrummer2 and Superior Drummer work fine with DP and El Capitan. This must be a VE Pro issue rather than a Toontrack or DP issue I presume.
Well, when you say VE Pro issue, it depends on how you look at things. Toontrack CHANGED something. It broke in VE Pro. Who’s fault?.....
I do not know if it effects superior.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

toodamnhip wrote: Well, when you say VE Pro issue, it depends on how you look at things. Toontrack CHANGED something. It broke in VE Pro. Who’s fault?.....
I do not know if it effects superior.
I can only say what I have found - I don't actually understand how you use it with VE Pro that could break it - I use EZDrummer2 and Superior Drummer as a sound source in V racks and drag the MIDI files to a track in DP and use the EZDrummer2 and Superior Drummer kits for the sounds. It doesn't affect any other of my sound sources (such as Reason, Wavestation or M1 VI's). So I am puzzled as not much has changed with the Toontrack updates as far as I can see with functionality. Someone at Toontrack should look into this - best of luck with this and interested to hear of any solutions.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Guitar Gaz wrote:It must only affect VE Pro users - both Toontrack EZDrummer2 and Superior Drummer work fine with DP and El Capitan. This must be a VE Pro issue rather than a Toontrack or DP issue I presume.
Toontrack products are working for me. Not having VE Pro, whose issue this is . . . well, it's not mine.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

VE Pro became a necessity when it was found to be at least 50% more efficient than running VIs in DP. Hopefully, the next update will eliminate the need for 3rd party programs such as this. But to anyone seemingly confused as to why I use it, there is your answer. :D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

toodamnhip wrote:VE Pro became a necessity when it was found to be at least 50% more efficient than running VIs in DP. Hopefully, the next update will eliminate the need for 3rd party programs such as this. But to anyone seemingly confused as to why I use it, there is your answer. :D
I understand - I wasn't aware of VE Pro as a plug in host. What happens if you just run EZDrummer2 in DP as a V rack and don't run it through VE Pro? One plug in in DP's V rack like EZDrummer2 may not be as efficient for your purposes but presumably you could use VE Pro for other plug ins? Does VE Pro work then?
Gary Shepherd
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:VE Pro became a necessity when it was found to be at least 50% more efficient than running VIs in DP. Hopefully, the next update will eliminate the need for 3rd party programs such as this. But to anyone seemingly confused as to why I use it, there is your answer. :D
I understand - I wasn't aware of VE Pro as a plug in host. What happens if you just run EZDrummer2 in DP as a V rack and don't run it through VE Pro? One plug in in DP's V rack like EZDrummer2 may not be as efficient for your purposes but presumably you could use VE Pro for other plug ins? Does VE Pro work then?
The problem is, the set up of the drums is stored with VE Pro.
I didn;t save the EZ drummer as a pre set.
Its always been a bit confusing to me as to how to store EVERYTHING in an EZ drummer pre set. And, I did;t think it necessary. Now, I know I need to in the future.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13