El Capitan?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan?

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm running CS6 under Sierra. Had to do what Mike said.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

On Excel: the only thing I found completely impossible in Numbers is Pivot Tables. But you can do those and other Excel things with Libre Office Vanilla, free at the App Store, and with less of a learning curve. It's not quite as elegant, but leaves you Microsoft free.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

Shooshie wrote:The reason I do not move past El Capitan is broken software. It is my understanding that Photoshop and Illustrator (CS6) will cease to work when I do.
Shooshie
Java as previously recommended
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

The CS6 Design Suite is working on a 2010 MBP with macOS 10.12.6.

I tested an installation of CS6 on an external drive running Yosemite booted from a 2012 Mini with 10.12.6. CS6 will be available well into the future between the Mini and the MBP.

Here's a useful resource on the various versions of the Adobe CS.
https://blog.conradchavez.com/2016/06/1 ... #more-5141
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:On Excel: the only thing I found completely impossible in Numbers is Pivot Tables. But you can do those and other Excel things with Libre Office Vanilla, free at the App Store, and with less of a learning curve. It's not quite as elegant, but leaves you Microsoft free.
I've had LibreOffice for a few years now but being "Microsoft free" is a non-starter if your corporate standards are Word and Excel.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:On Excel: the only thing I found completely impossible in Numbers is Pivot Tables. But you can do those and other Excel things with Libre Office Vanilla, free at the App Store, and with less of a learning curve. It's not quite as elegant, but leaves you Microsoft free.
I've had LibreOffice for a few years now but being "Microsoft free" is a non-starter if your corporate standards are Word and Excel.
The message was primarily directed to Shooshie. He clearly has standards, but MS is probably not one of them.
(Aside: to really get up IT's nose, point out that the word "standard" implies some level of quality.)
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: The message was primarily directed to Shooshie. He clearly has standards, but MS is probably not one of them.
(Aside: to really get up IT's nose, point out that the word "standard" implies some level of quality.)
:rofl:

Since Office 2011 is fine in Sierra, his standards may remain low.

In my case, my wife doesn't really need to go to High Sierra (yet? ever?). So, if 2008 won't work in 10.13, I can put off teaching her a later version of Office, possibly forever??? A lot of wishful thinking in that last statement.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:So, if 2008 won't work in 10.13, I can put off teaching her a later version of Office, possibly forever??? A lot of wishful thinking in that last statement.
Office is a distant memory for me. Even my last three years working in a telecom using MS (except people who had to do creative work -- they had Macs), I was able to get hold of passwords to connect my own Mac to the network, and do what I had to do with iWork, Mail and iCal, with LibreOffice as a backup just in case. Now and then I wonder whether it could have been as bad as I recall, but I've never had to find out.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Lucky you.

My spouse is in MS Hell. Most of her students use some ancient form of Word but it's usually worse when she gets assignments from UC. Her professors rarely know the ancient web tools embedded in some of her assignments wanting to make connections to servers that disappeared with NT — of course, they have no idea how to disable that nonsense and tell students to just deal with it.

I wish I could bill Berkeley for tech support. Grrrr

Never an issue with docs that she gets from Macs. None of those users ever figured out how to set up that garbage in the first place. A simple plugin allows old versions of Word to read .docx and it's still on the MS web site.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Lucky you.

My spouse is in MS Hell. Most of her students use some ancient form of Word but it's usually worse when she gets assignments from UC. Her professors rarely know the ancient web tools embedded in some of her assignments wanting to make connections to servers that disappeared with NT — of course, they have no idea how to disable that nonsense and tell students to just deal with it.

I wish I could bill Berkeley for tech support. Grrrr

Never an issue with docs that she gets from Macs. None of those users ever figured out how to set up that garbage in the first place. A simple plugin allows old versions of Word to read .docx and it's still on the MS web site.
Sounds similar to problems at the UN. My daughter was given a Mac for work there, but all the back end admin systems she has to use to access forms and templates seem to be ancient Windows based stuff, or it might be SAP. I'm usually able figure out how to access thing from here, but there doesn't seem to be any consistent approach that works.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:A large contributor to the spinning beach ball is App Nap. Unless you are on a portable and battery life is an issue, App Nap serves no purpose. DP is one of many apps affected by this. Copy the following and paste into Terminal:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAppSleepDisabled -bool YES

Here's a good article on this:
http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable- ... -mac-os-x/
Thanks Mike. Maybe I'll muster up the courage to give it a go. Part of it is finding the TIME!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Some of my databases are integrated with the Finder, opening folders and/or displaying pictures. Numbers doesn't do that. I think there's actually quite a bit that Numbers does not do, unless they've come a long way in the past couple of years. Formatting, data displays, choosing the sort field in a database, all work differently or not at all (again, unless it's a recent upgrade that fixed it).

If I could switch to Numbers, I would. Believe me!

I don't know about the other one. I fear getting left high and dry someday. I'm in these things for the long haul. Been using Excel for about 30 years, and I've got spreadsheets and databases that old. I think my "multiple mortgage table," which I developed over many years, is from about 1986. Anyway, you look ahead and don't realize that you're going to be using this thing for 30 or 40 years, but when you look at it like that, Apple and Microsoft are the only choices, and Apple is flaky.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
Some of my databases are integrated with the Finder, opening folders and/or displaying pictures. Numbers doesn't do that. I think there's actually quite a bit that Numbers does not do, unless they've come a long way in the past couple of years. Formatting, data displays, choosing the sort field in a database, all work differently or not at all (again, unless it's a recent upgrade that fixed it).

If I could switch to Numbers, I would. Believe me!

I don't know about the other one. I fear getting left high and dry someday. I'm in these things for the long haul. Been using Excel for about 30 years, and I've got spreadsheets and databases that old. I think my "multiple mortgage table," which I developed over many years, is from about 1986. Anyway, you look ahead and don't realize that you're going to be using this thing for 30 or 40 years, but when you look at it like that, Apple and Microsoft are the only choices, and Apple is flaky.

Shoosh
I expect you could do database looks ups with a "localhost" reference, but that would involve rebuilding the whole thing from scratch. On formats and sorting, it all works in Numbers but differently, and IMO, better, once you figure it out.

The one thing I really miss from Excel is the all the stuff you can do quickly without a mouse. In Numbers it's difficult to get very far without switching back and forth between keyboard and mouse.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

GoogleDocs lets you import and export to Excel. I use it daily for that.

Its functionality leaves a few things to be desired, however, especially its ability to search.

Upgrade to Sierra, you'll be fine with Office 2011 as long as you disable App Nap.

The jury is out on what will and won't work in OS 10.13 so don't go there till results are in.